SOLVED Administrator Problems

Reaction score
I just upgraded to windows 10 from 7. I only have one account and everything was fine at first but after I restarted I tried to save a picture to a folder I had made before I restarted my computer (i previously could save pictures in it) but It said I needed administrator permissions to save it this time. my one account no longer has administrator permissions but there is no other account I can log on to with administration permissions so what do I do?

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
That may just be UAC do you have an option to continue or say ok or something affirmative when you are prompted with
It said I needed administrator permissions to save it this time
You one account should still be automatically a member of the local administrator's group.
You may just have to give the permissions a kick.
Right click the folder, choose properties, then the security tab and see who has what permissions. Edit them according to your preference and make sure to cascade them down to subfolders and files.

Reaction score
Okay doing that for that one folder allowed me to save the picture there, but how do i make it so I can save the picture in any folder. (give myself full permission)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If you're having problems with multiple folders than you need to inspect the permissions (the same way you just did) of the parent container and cascade them down by checking the box that says apply to subfolders and files.
Although I have know idea how this might have gotten messed up.
Are these folders on a second driver or partition?

Reaction score
No, the folder is just in the pictures section on my PC I have no idea what happened. After the update was complete everything was fine and I could save the pictures anywhere no trouble and after a restart I couldn't and I don't know why. the permissions says full control on everything? But when I try and save it to a different folder (not the one i gave permissions to) it says contact the administrator to gain permission to save here

Reaction score
I just checked and it says my account is an administrator account, but still cant save pictures where ever I want

Reaction score
I can do anything else with administrator permissions just not saving pictures xD If that helps

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Then try C:\Users\YourUserName\
right click on "pictures" folder and do your thing.
If it seems to be set properly, click the advanced button and
check the box at the bottom that says, "Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permissions entries from this object"
Whew .... did they ever change the wording on that, used to say replace on subfolders and files.

Reaction score
Okayyy yasss everything is working fine thanks lots for your help :D One last thing, is their a way to change my username as its stuck as 'Owner' which is kinda dull xD

Reaction score
Actually problem is not soveld, after a PC restart all of those folders I gave permission to had reset again back to no permissions

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
no permissions
No permissions?
That doesn't sound right.
Go back and do it again.
This time click the disable inheritance button also under "advanced".... when prompted just choose to convert the existing permissions

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Nope if it is not already inheriting permissions from the parent container which would be C:\users\YourUsername then, ......
You should be able to set the permissions the way you want them to be and they should stay that way. If they keep reverting back to something different then there is something else going on that I'm not understanding.

Reaction score
For now I am okay with setting the permissions through how you have told me every time I turn on my PC. maybe it's a bug with windows 10 since it's only ever done that today when i upgraded so I will wait and see if it fixes it's self.

Reaction score
I've got the same problem. It seems that it happens when you try to save into a folder that is connected to a library and this save comes out of an Application. I can save into the Download folder. Then I just copy and paste the file from Download to the folder Photos which is included in the libraary Pictures - and it works.
As what the properties showing I am administrator with full rights for the whole folder Photos. But the folder has a square in its Read-Only Attribute. If I remove this and click Apply it runs all through the folder and the Read-Only Attribute is blank. Then I close the Properties - but when I re-open it the square is back in my Read-Only. By the way - also here this problem is brand new after I upgraded from 8.1 to 10

Reaction score
I just found some interesting solution - take ownership of a folder. It worked for me.
Here is a link you a video showing to ways of the ownership solution.
I tried both and both worked.

Reaction score
Thank you for this solution! I was having same problem (and others) since installing Windows 10 and this helps with this issue. Still more to deal with.

Reaction score
This really isn't solved. It is a bug that hasn't been fixed in Windows 10. I started having the problems that all you have mentioned then all of a sudden I started getting more errors when I tried to open programs. I started getting errors saying that I don't have access to the folder where the program is installed. It seems to almost gets worse as time goes on. I've tried all the suggested remedies but once you reboot, everything reverts back. The first thing I noticed was that I always shut off the tap, scroll and resizing function on my touch pad. Each time my machine restarts, I have to go back in and shut those features off again. It seems like nothing is getting saved once a machine reboots. I can't even convert some of my music files from m4a to mp3 because I get an error saying they are protected even though they aren't. My iTunes won't launch because it says it is installed in a folder I no longer have access to.
There is a hidden Administrator account in Windows 10 but it is disabled from view. You can enable it by calling up a Command Prompt window with Administrative privilege. At the prompt you type:
net user administrator /active:yes
When you restart, you'll see that you now can login as the TRUE administrator. Some have suggested the problem is caused by the Microsoft OneDrive. I've even disabled that and still have the problem.
Microsoft should have done a lot more testing on this pile of junk before they forced down everyone's throat. I can't believe this never cropped up anywhere in their beta tests.

Reaction score
Thank you for posting this, Al. I agree, this IS NOT SOLVED, not even with disabling OneDrive. I've searched the Internet and I've tried all sorts of different solutions, but as soon as I reboot, it's all undone.
I have activated the hidden Administator account, but can someone explain to me how to easily transfer all my files to that account? Everything I've done so far is saved under the Home User account, which has the admin problem.

This really isn't solved. It is a bug that hasn't been fixed in Windows 10. I started having the problems that all you have mentioned then all of a sudden I started getting more errors when I tried to open programs. I started getting errors saying that I don't have access to the folder where the program is installed. It seems to almost gets worse as time goes on. I've tried all the suggested remedies but once you reboot, everything reverts back. The first thing I noticed was that I always shut off the tap, scroll and resizing function on my touch pad. Each time my machine restarts, I have to go back in and shut those features off again. It seems like nothing is getting saved once a machine reboots. I can't even convert some of my music files from m4a to mp3 because I get an error saying they are protected even though they aren't. My iTunes won't launch because it says it is installed in a folder I no longer have access to.
There is a hidden Administrator account in Windows 10 but it is disabled from view. You can enable it by calling up a Command Prompt window with Administrative privilege. At the prompt you type:
net user administrator /active:yes
When you restart, you'll see that you now can login as the TRUE administrator. Some have suggested the problem is caused by the Microsoft OneDrive. I've even disabled that and still have the problem.
Microsoft should have done a lot more testing on this pile of junk before they forced down everyone's throat. I can't believe this never cropped up anywhere in their beta tests.

Ask a Question