SOLVED Android phone USB connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have a Nexus 5 smart phone. When I connect it to the USB port on my PC nothing happens. It isn't recognised at all and nothing show up in explorer. Reading other forums the only solution offered (if I read it correctly) seems to be to install the full Android SDK (about 1Gb) and that will allow the Google USB driver to be downloaded and installed. This surely can't be the only solution.
All I want to do is transfer a few pictures from the camera to the PC for archiving. There are USB settings under the "Settings" icon on the phone, but these don't seem to help.
I can send the files as email attachments (clunky) or install the WeTransfer app which is a bit better, but both these are one way. If I ever needed to upload something to the phone they probably wouldn't work.
It would be nice to have full access to the phone's storage from the PC so that I could upload, download and delete files.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
When I connect it to the USB port on my PC nothing happens
Go to Device Manager
Unplug your phone from the system
From the View menu, select Show Hidden Devices
Expand portable devices
locate any reference to your phone
right click it and choose uninstall
reboot
plug your phone back in

Reaction score
Go to Device Manager
Unplug your phone from the system
From the View menu, select Show Hidden Devices
Expand portable devices
locate any reference to your phone
right click it and choose uninstall
reboot
plug your phone back in

Sorry, nothing to uninstall in Device Manager.

Reaction score
I supposed you have talked to people in Nexus 5 support forums such as this one ?

http://www.androidauthority.com/community/forums/nexus-5.517/

I have Huawei Y300 smartphone. I have no trouble transferring files between my laptop and my phone.

adding................... any chance of faulty usb connecting cable or usb port ?

Swapped the cable for the one off the charger and up it popped on Windows Explorer. :)
Other cable worked in the past with other devices, must have gone faulty.
What mislead me was three different phones connected via old cable all said they were charging, so those connections are OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question