Avast Internet Security

Reaction score
I have downloaded the recent update for Windows 10 Build 10041 and I have noticed that I am unable to turn on my firewall with avast, the other shields are running but for some reason that won't start, windows firewall is on according to the PC. Any thoughts?

Reaction score
I have downloaded the recent update for Windows 10 Build 10041 and I have noticed that I am unable to turn on my firewall with avast, the other shields are running but for some reason that won't start, windows firewall is on according to the PC. Any thoughts?

I use Windows Defender and the Windows firewall since the beginning and never any problems. My roommate tested our security by going to some 'X' and 'Triple XXX' sites with no problems. We have just MalwareBytes Premium added to our security set-up. Windows firewall is one of the best firewalls to use..

:)

Reaction score
Windows firewall is one of the best firewalls to use..

I wouldn't go that far. Windows firewall is a very basic firewall. Also Windows Defender has one of the worst detection rates of any of the free AV programs. Both are adequate, but certainly not great.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Actually Windows Firewall is quite robust.
If you go into Advanced settings, you can edit or add inbound and outbound rules to your hearts content, based on programs, ports or protocols.
As a software firewall with Stateful Packet Inspection it isn't too bad.

Reaction score
I wouldn't go that far. Windows firewall is a very basic firewall. Also Windows Defender has one of the worst detection rates of any of the free AV programs. Both are adequate, but certainly not great.

You need to read up on security info more. Read this - http://www.av-comparatives.org/firewall-reviews/

Scroll down to 'Results Overview' test. Windows firewall is better than - Outpost, AhnLab V3 Internet Security 8.0, Bitdefender Internet Security 2014, Online Armor 7.0, eScan Internet Security 14.0, ESET Smart Security 7.0, Norton Internet Security 2014, VIPRE Internet Security 2014,
Zone Alarm Free Firewall 12.0.

Key to ratings in the test
++
: Complete protection. The product protects the com
puter completely against all three forms of
access, regardless of whether the computer name, IP
v4 address or IPv6 address is used.
+
: Partial protection. The product protects the comp
uter only in some cases. For example, it may
protect against attempted access when the computer
name is used, but not if an IP address is used.

: No protection. The product allows access using co
mputer name, IPv4 address and IPv6 address.

-------------------------------------------------------------
See this website too- ↓

http://www.digitalcitizen.life/5-reasons-why-windows-firewall-one-best-firewalls

Windows Defender isn't bad as people say, I tested it against other security and it came out better than some paid popular anti-virus security.

Hope this helps

>

Reaction score
But it still is not Better than Avast Internet Security and the version of AIS used is old and not current. The latest is AVAST 2016 (build number 2016.11.1.2253)

Reaction score
But it still is not Better than Avast Internet Security and the version of AIS used is old and not current. The latest is AVAST 2016 (build number 2016.11.1.2253)

I didn't say anything about Avast being worst or weak, just saying that the Windows Firewall isn't the worst or the weakest like a lot of people believe. I used Avast, Norton, Bitdefender, Panda, Comodo security and others before, but came back to MSE-Windows Defender. Why?..... I never had any problems or hic-ups with them.
Try Windows Defender and WIN Firewall and see if you can tell any difference..

Reaction score
I didn't say anything about Avast being worst or weak, just saying that the Windows Firewall isn't the worst or the weakest like a lot of people believe. I used Avast, Norton, Bitdefender, Panda, Comodo security and others before, but came back to MSE-Windows Defender. Why?..... I never had any problems or hic-ups with them.
Try Windows Defender and WIN Firewall and see if you can tell any difference..

I can't explain why you came back to it. I never will. I have little or no trust left for anything MS puts out. How can you possibly trust a company that is taking whatever privacy you had away?? Not me.

Reaction score
I can't explain why you came back to it. I never will. I have little or no trust left for anything MS puts out. How can you possibly trust a company that is taking whatever privacy you had away?? Not me.

Your quote "..I have little or no trust left for anything MS puts out. How can you possibly trust a company that is taking whatever privacy you had away??.."

So, what system are you using? Remember, this is a Windows 10 forum.

:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Your quote "..I have little or no trust left for anything MS puts out. How can you possibly trust a company that is taking whatever privacy you had away??.."

So, what system are you using? Remember, this is a Windows 10 forum.

:rolleyes:

I am using Windows 10 is a much modified manner than most. I do not give them access to my bank accounts and such. You can be amazed what can be done with the "Hosts" file.:p

Reaction score
I am using Windows 10 is a much modified manner than most. I do not give them access to my bank accounts and such. You can be amazed what can be done with the "Hosts" file.:p

Don't worry, Windows Defender and Windows Firewall is just for protection and won't pass any info on. :)

>

Reaction score
But the problem remains for some of us...I paid and downloaded Avast. Once downloaded it won't work. Message is about the firewall. I called Avast and to help me get it to work they wanted me to pay 149.00. They would not refund my purchase.

Reaction score
I used Avast as well but had problems too, so I switched to 360 Security from File Hippo, and it works great and for a free product the best so far!

Reaction score
But the problem remains for some of us...I paid and downloaded Avast. Once downloaded it won't work. Message is about the firewall. I called Avast and to help me get it to work they wanted me to pay 149.00. They would not refund my purchase.
You have to USE AIS in order for it to fully function.

Ask a Question