Backup and File History not working

Reaction score
I am trying to backup my data (not a system image) to an external hard drive Although I have succeeded in backing files up the system does not work automatically (as it implies it will) and the only work around seems to be to select an alternative drive each time.

In addition if I use File History to attempt a backup the system appears to write to the external hard drive but nothing gets recorded. There is sufficient space for the data (12GB - hard drive total size 120GB) so I do not think it is lack of space.

Can anyone help with a nice simple solution please?

Regards

Alastair

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, that process will make a basic backup and then augment that with just files which have been modified.

As far as what drive is used, I would think the drive would need to be available all the time. Perhaps an external drive was not meeting that requirement correctly. Are there any notes as to what types of drives are recommended with that process?

Are you using OneDrive to sync your personal files online?

Reaction score
Thanks for your response.

I appreciate the drive would need to be available all the time and to this end I have attached it "permanently" to my laptop. Yet it still fails to backup. However if I choose Settings: Update & Security: Backup: More Options:Stop using drive (need to cursor down the page) the page itself disappears. Go back in via the same route but on this occasion Add Another Drive and choose the External Hard Drive it then backs up perfectly.

If I then try and backup again using the same drive it appears to backup (and writes a message confirming that it has done so) but in reality none of the files on the external hard drive have changed. Thats to say the second time round it does not recognize the hard drive.

It seems a pity that what might be a useful tool does not appear to work.

To answer your other questions I could not find any notes as to what types of drives are recommended and no I am not using OneDrive to sync personal files.

Reaction score
It seems the backup needs an external drive or at least a secondary one. It could not find a suitable drive on my one drive system.

On the Advanced Settings of the File History there is an option to check the event logs. Have you checked those?

And one note I noticed..

File History 2.JPG

Reaction score
Dear Saltgrass

Thanks again for your suggestions. I have checked the event logs and around the time that I do a backup (or try to) the following appears

Metadata staging failed, result=0x80070490 for container xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I googled this and there are some interesting threads most of which, to be honest, I do not understand. One suggestion from "Saammy" is that this "failure" is caused by an incorrect address in the registry. I reckon that this would not necessarily solve my problem as sometimes the external drive is recognized and sometimes not.

I wonder if the external drive is too old? it is a Maxtor Onetouch3

Reaction score
I don't know about the drive, but the metadata error has been going on for a while. I cannot say it is not involved but I can say I am seeing the same error.

Are you looking in Event View at the position indicated in the attachment. For that to appear, I checked the log option at the location indicated about and a plugin was loaded. You may need to try another update after the plugin is installed to get any info.

Backup log.JPG

Reaction score
No I was not. However I found it and this what it says

Unusual condition was encountered during finalization of a backup cycle for configuration C:\Users\Alastair Barclay\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

I tried technet but as usual it says that page does not exist

Reaction score
Did you find that configuration file? AppData is a hidden folder so you may need to set Explorer view option to see those or just put that path into the box at the top. Leave off the last couple of entries and just go to the FileHistory folder.

I don't have one but I have not yet tried a File Backup. I suppose I will need to try one to see what mine might show.

Reaction score
I traced the path and found the directory and there is no config file. There is a config1 and a config2. These are both XML types. Does one of them require renaming for example?

I should add that I tried a backup using both the Backup window and the File History window in order to see if I could recreate the "Warning" message that the Event window shows. I tried twice and neither of them showed up. Curiously the config files (both 1&2) show the last time used as when I attempted the backup.

Reaction score
Renaming is one option. Renaming the entire folder may also be something to consider. Hopefully they will be rewritten if you do another backup or start over.

I notice there is an option to Stop using a drive which might allow you to change drives. I suppose you used that before you tried other drives for the backup?

It doesn't appear this is your situation but you do have to option to add or remove folders from the backup. If there was a problem with one of those folders or a file in one of those folders, that would be a good way to troubleshoot such a situation.

Reaction score
I tried renaming the file but no success. The Backup facility seems very flaky and I'm not sure it can be trusted. I believe there are other products on the market.

Reaction score
I tried renaming the file but no success. The Backup facility seems very flaky and I'm not sure it can be trusted. I believe there are other products on the market.
I just turned off the file backup. I then went to the referenced location and deleted the entire FileHistory folder.

I then went back to the File History Backup settings and selected the Add Drive option. The entire folder and contents were replaced. I can not verify it would help with your situation, but logic says it will.

Something else to consider is whether you want to remove or rename the original file backup on one particular drive to see if that backup is involved in the configuration error.

Reaction score
Hi I am having the same issue with my external drive, the computer can see it but it wont recognize it. I would go to select a drive option highlight my external drive hit ok and when I try to turn on file history the message i get is "
upload_2016-2-26_16-11-53.png

any help is appreciated.

Ask a Question