Bad Image Error

Reaction score
My new installation of Windows 10 worked ok for 1 day then 8 programs generate the message C:\windows\system32\wininet.dll
saying its either not designed for the current version of windows or contains an error. The error status 0x0000020

This issues stops me running almost any program from the web eg Skype Incredimail etc and prevent many from operating that previously existed. I ended up deleting some to reinstall in an attempt to correct the issues but that made it worse in that installation is aborted by the bad image error. The web so far has drawn a black in searching for this error. The Microsoft Community suggested I ran a scan via system command admin for a SFC/scannow but that did not help aany.

So if anybody can help me as I am told the files to revert to windows 7 have been removed so I am stuck with 10. It does look good now as I have found out how to access almost everything as before, even the simple Control Panel just right click the left hand windows 10 icon in the bottom tool bar and select Control Panel- so easy once I found out.
I have added a jpg of the 8 error messages for you.

Attachments

• all dll probs.jpg
    all dll probs.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 2,077

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
wininet.dll is one of those windows system files that contains multiple icons as well as other bits associated with various APIs.
If it has become corrupt (by whatever means) you might want to consider renaming it to something like wininet.OLD and then replacing it with a known good copy from another resource (another Windows 10 machine, with a matching version and bit architecture of Windows 10).

wininet.JPG

Unfortunately you may not be able to do this on a live (running) system and may have to resort to something like a Linux Distro Live CD to accomplish the task.
Just a thought..... not a mandate.

Reaction score
I have tied this by downloading a small wininet.dll from the web and after lots of permission problems I got it replaced but to no benefit at all. Meant to say that its a 64 bit windows 10 basically cause I ran a 64 bit windows 7 on a 64 bit processor before. I don't know anybody with a windows 10 instillation as yet cause its so new. Perhaps you could give me a copy via the site or email? Anyway only a thought as I have exhausted the web with my inquires so far. I have added my file detail should be be necessary.

Attachments

• details.jpg
    details.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 1,261

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I don't mind zipping up a copy of mine and attaching it.
Not sure it will help but here you go.
Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Attachments

• WININIT (2).zip
    989.5 KB · Views: 846
Reaction score
Many thanks, but sorry to to say no change even after a reboot.
Will try again tomorrow to see if I can get anywhere as its very late now.
Odd thing is the installation of Windows 10 must have made the system32 folder unless it just inherited it.

Reaction score
Still can run many programs such as Picasa from Google. as well as the other 8 already mentioned.
Think I contact a local repair shop to see if they can resolve the issue. This make my PC almost useless.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that.
Please keep us posted as to how you progress and what you may find.

Reaction score
Well it took ages as the PC has been in the repair shop for a whole week now, but I expect the PC back tomorrow but with windows 7 installed.
They could not find out what was wrong so it must be a very unique error. I hope to get some more info when I eventually collect the PC.
I might try again with windows 10 but this time I will make an extra back up. Before when I investigated the control panel Revert to Window 7 I clicked on the stating button and it started to format my backup drive, despite hitting STOP asap my backup was gone. Not sure if I did something wrong but that stopped me reverting to window 7 directly.
The shop has put a new windows 7 so all my programs will need to be re installed so that will take a while. Will update this later.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks for keeping us apprised of the on-going situation.
Please continue to do so.
Thanks
Randy

Reaction score
Any further news on this? I'm suddenly experiencing the same issue the same. The MS Help team was of no help and actually made the problem worse by having me uninstall my NVIDIA drivers and now I'm unable to reinstall so my display is all wonky. Then MS told me they'd fix it for $100...I'm trying to not do that. So much for free Windows 10 upgrade.

Ask a Question