Build 10565 Sign in screen without default picture

Reaction score
From another forum there were people asking if they could eliminate the default sign in background picture. At the time, it could not be done.

Recently I posted a tutorial authored by Brink from another forum that allows users to change the sign in background pictures. That requires downloading something.

In this new build 10565 ( I think this started in build 10547, but I didn't have that build to know for sure ), we can now eliminate the background picture and replace it with solid colour. This can be done by Settings > Personalization > left side, Lock Screen > right side, under Show Windows background picture on the sign in screen, turn the slider OFF.

This is the result I have..........

sign in screen after.jpg

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks for the info david.
I'm not certain that I necessarily prefer that to the standard welcome / login screen, but it's definitely a step in the right direction.
Now..... if we could just place our own image file there instead.... like we do on the lock screen that would be outstanding.

Reaction score
Good plan, Trouble.

MS seem very keen to promote that particular picture. An update was sent a while ago, which can, in several cases (probably dependant on your hardware/ graphics) cause a deal of flickering.
I don't spend any time at the log in screen, so,like yourself, would prefer to leave well alone.

You can modify the picture, but it requires a huge amount of work and knowledge in that area.
It is the "Windows.UI.Logon.pri" sitting in

"C:\Windows\SystemResources\Windows.UI.Logon\"
"

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Honestly........
I use a picture password and never see it.

Ask a Question