SOLVED Can Windows 10 connect to a network and open files on a Windows XP computer?

Reaction score
Before Windows 10 upgrade – Have (3) computers on a home network. Two computers are running Windows XP and the third computer was running Windows 7. After the Windows 7 computer upgraded to Windows 10, I can no longer access files on the Windows 10 from the Windows XP computers. I can however access the files on the (2) Windows XP computers from the Windows 10 computer.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Go to Network and sharing and make sure that the network is set to private not public...you do this via the real control panel. Once you are a private network then go to advanced sharing and makes sure that file sharing is set on. Go to File explorer and click on network to see if you can see the XP machines.

If that all looks ok then go to an xp machine and try to connect. You may need to boot the w10 machine.

Reaction score
Network set to private, file sharing is on, can see and access shared files from the other XP computers from the Windows 10 computer. Can not access the shared files that are on the Windows 10 computer from the XP computers

Reaction score
Fixed - it turned out that Windows 10 had a different Workgroup name. All I had to do was change the workgroup name back to the original workgroup prior to Windows 10 upgrade and now everything works as before

Reaction score
Hi ALL,
This is my first post on this site and I am having a problem with networking my win10 laptop to my XP dektop. I can view and access my win10 files on the XP machine but not the otherway around. The XP desktop is visible on the win10 machine as being on the network, but I am getting a message that I do not have permission to access the machine! Can anyone advise?

Reaction score
If that all looks ok then go to an xp machine and try to connect. You may need to boot the w10 machine.

Ask a Question