SOLVED Can't set Google Chrome as default browser

Reaction score
Can't make Google Chrome my default browser with Windows 10. Any ideas how to fix it.

Thanks.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Not sure what you may have tried so far?
Does this work?

ChromeDefault.JPG

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Toni,

Could you try searching for "Default Programs", click that app on the search list, then click "set your default programs" > "Google Chrome" > "Set this program as default". That should do the trick :)

edit: Beaten to it by @Trouble :D

Reaction score
Duh...thanks Trouble and Ian...got it.
One more problem is I can't access "Settings"...click on it, but nothing happens...a brief flash like it's opening, but it doesn't. Any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
One more problem is I can't access
That sounds like something is corrupt in the installation.
Perhaps try an elevated command prompt and type
sfc /scannow
hit enter and give it a while and see if it produces anything.

Reaction score
Will do. I've seen a few others have had this problem in the early beta testing. I'll give your suggestion a try and get back to you. Thanks for the suggestion.

Reaction score
That sounds like something is corrupt in the installation.
Perhaps try an elevated command prompt and type
sfc /scannow
hit enter and give it a while and see if it produces anything.

Got a troubleshooting tool from Microsoft and now "settings" works.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Got a troubleshooting tool from Microsoft and now "settings" works.
I for one would really appreciate if you could or would expound.
What troubleshooting tool?
Where or how did you get it? Link if possible?
Thanks
Randy

Reaction score
Thankyou the solution above (the first reply from Trouble) worked for me! I had been trying to use the new menus settings>system>default apps for default programs and it would not change..

Going to default programs in the win7 style control panel and clicking the browser > set default... it changed from having 5 out of 8 permissions to all permissions 8 out of 8 and was immediately shown as the default browser in the new style settings place. Thanks! Its an annoying bug that it wouldnt change from the other place, but fixed for me by going in regular control panel.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you so much Trouble, i was about to throw my computer out the window because i deleted Microsoft Edge, complete crap. It wouldent let me change back to Chrome, but you helped thanks!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Isaac.
Glad to hear that you managed to resolve your issue.
Thanks for taking the time to join our community and sharing your experience.

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I bought this Dell Laptop 2 weeks ago and I had this issue where every time I restart my laptop, when I pull up Chrome, it always ask me to set Google Chrome as my default browser.
And today, I decided to Google how to resolve it and found this great thread.

I just followed the instruction above and tested it. And now, my laptop no longer ask me to set Google Chrome as my default browser.

I decided to sign up to say thank you!

More powers!

Reaction score
I had this problem, too. Thanks for all the great responses. Chrome is back to being my default browser, now.

Reaction score
Not sure what you may have tried so far?
Does this work?

View attachment 577
Using the "Windows 7 style" control panel works for me! None of the Windows 10 style settings would work at all (and running sfc/scannow, which seems to be the catch-all solution finder proposed has never turned up any problems). Thanks for posting this solution.

Reaction score
Help! I set default to Chrome as noted by Trouble at the start. But Outlook 10 still ignores it. If I click a link (https...) a box pops up saying "How do you want to open this?" and giving options for Edge and IE, or look in app store. Cleverly, the box won't persist for a screenshot.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Reaction score
Thanks Trouble, but nope, the fix there doesn't work for Chrome. MS appears to have other browsers effectively locked out; isn't there some big federal lawsuit around that?

Ask a Question