Change Font Type

Reaction score
How do I change the font type in Windows 10? It will only let me change the size. Used to be in the Personalization settings with the themes, but I can't find anywhere to change the type of font now.

Reaction score
Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display
change text size
That's not the solution. It will only change the size, not the font.
So the question remains: how do you change the overall Windows 10 font (like for the font on the desktop/icons etc...)?

Reaction score
Found a solution to change the desktop, icon and other general fonts:
- Use the search icon next to the start button (or use the run command) and type regedit and press enter.
- Look for HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control_Panel\Desktop\WindowsMetrics

On the right you have various keys like "Caption font" & "Icon font" etc...
Select the font you want to change and rightclick, then choose "Modify"
A little windows will open with the name of the registry key and on the right the fonts name.
Replace this fontname with the fontname you want (watch spaces). Done.

Example: Replaced the original Segoe UI font with the Verdana font.

gCaYTWj.png

Reaction score
Let me know, whether that works, as I have used another solution for Windows 7, which also worked, but which entailed more work.

SOJ

Reaction score
Hi Lange_666,

The font name is distributed among a few lines. Just wondering if the replacement font should also be distributed the same way, before I attempt the change.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Just registered to send a HUGE Thank you to Lange_666. Since the first day when I started to use Windows 10 I was desperate to change system fonts from Segoe UI as I can't stand it. Now I have finaly set them to my favourite Arial so THANKS A LOT again.

Reaction score
Hey, is there any way to completely reset fonts to the original, I think that I may have done it wrong, as it has not changed anything

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hey, is there any way to completely reset fonts to the original, I think that I may have done it wrong, as it has not changed anything
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Fonts\Font settings
Restore default font settings button

Capture1.JPG

Reaction score
Found a solution to change the desktop, icon and other general fonts:
- Use the search icon next to the start button (or use the run command) and type regedit and press enter.
- Look for HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control_Panel\Desktop\WindowsMetrics

On the right you have various keys like "Caption font" & "Icon font" etc...
Select the font you want to change and rightclick, then choose "Modify"
A little windows will open with the name of the registry key and on the right the fonts name.
Replace this fontname with the fontname you want (watch spaces). Done.

Example: Replaced the original Segoe UI font with the Verdana font.

gCaYTWj.png
This worked with computer 1, however computer 2

Reaction score
Good info, however I have an issue with one of the machines in my home network. Three out of four have been converted from 7 to 10.
Two out of three converted to W10 loaded regedit as per your post. I was able to correct the fonts to my preferred (Arial) tho’ I note that on the other units, including the one remaining W7 they all show “Segoe” as the default font. The issue is on the box I am typing this on. When I drill down to “Desktop” The only option is “MuiCached”. See screen shot of the offending page. Before I hit the “return to seven button”-I imaged 7 before installing 10- are there any suggestions?
Regedit Kicks.jpg

Reaction score
Why do i can't change the fonts? i already change the fonts Segoe UI became Agency FB but it's not work... Can you give me a solution?
Its Not Work.PNG

Reaction score
@ Ballpet: Sorry no suggestions on this one...:(

@ Fascal: Just a guess but...didn't you forget the space between Agency and FB? As it looks on your screenshot, that one isn't there...

Reaction score
@Lange_666 thanks for posting this, as much as i love to customize my windows, i'm a total n00b when it comes to using regedit (partially due to being a bit phobic of messing around with it). anyway, after tinkering around quite a bit with it, several restarts and a couple of restores, i FINALLY got it to work... very nice to have my favourite font back :cool: thanks again!
palaregedit.jpg

Reaction score
Hi! The regedit option doesn't seem to work for me? And when I try to restore the default font what happens is that the button greys out and the 'ok' button (Which should probably be clickable) is not. :/ when I go back to check on it again on regedit the same thing is there, so... idk.

I still want to be able to change my font. :( I've heard that using a font other than the default has been one of the reasons why the startup can take longer but I really don't mind. I wish they didn't remove that option. :<

Reaction score
Hi there, I need to know how to change the font displayed here to something that I like please, the default fonts have been changed to sumthing I like in everything else on my system except the above picture. Can anybody help me out? If so, please be specific with your instructions on what to do!

Attachments

• Windows 10.jpg
    Windows 10.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 1,494

Ask a Question