Compatibility Mode

Compatibility Mode

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ian submitted a new article:

Compatibility Mode - How to run an application in Compatibility Mode in Windows 10

If you're using some older applications which were designed long before Windows 10, you may find that you need to enable compatibility mode on this particular software to make it run correctly. Generally speaking, this will only apply to software from the Vista or earlier period, as most Windows 7/8 software will be compatibly with Windows 10.

If you suspect this is the problem, find the main .exe file or shortcut you use to the application, right click it and select Properties:...

Read more about this article...

Reaction score
Hello Gents,
I have a similar problem with my Dell Latitude D610. I can't see wireless icon anywhere even after pressing Fn+f2. I tried to install drivers downloaded from Dell website,but I am getting the same message like Activate Bluetooth with wireless switch. Highly appreciate if anybodyplease show me a solution?
Thank you,
kamal.hossain

Reaction score
question.
Is this only with Windows 10, and is this the only OS on the computer?
If you have dual boot with, say, Windows 8, is it working ok there?

If the answer is no in both cases, make sure you have the wireless switch on. On the latitude, it will be a very small slide switch , probably down on the right (could be left, according to your particular model), next to the USB sockets

Reaction score
question.
Is this only with Windows 10, and is this the only OS on the computer?
If you have dual boot with, say, Windows 8, is it working ok there?

If the answer is no in both cases, make sure you have the wireless switch on. On the latitude, it will be a very small slide switch , probably down on the right (could be left, according to your particular model), next to the USB sockets

yes, its only win 10

Reaction score
OK. Try this.

Open the menu and click settings.
Click "network and Internet"
Click "WiFi " and ensure it is ON.

Reaction score
I have Microsoft Money 2005 that ran OK in Windows 7. When opening it in Windows 10 it says "Money requires Internet Explorer 6 to work properly. Please reinstall Internet Explorer 6 so these components can be added". Running compatibility mode doesn't help, presumably because there is no IE to run in compatibility mode. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
If you upgraded from 8.1 and you intermittently get 'Live Mail not Responding' go to file ,press properties- compatibility. If run in compatibility is checked & shows '8.1' uncheck it and problem should be solved. It took me about a month to find this and no problem for 3 weeks now.

Reaction score
Hello there.
I have a question.. Why in Properties of one program there is no compatibility mode? On other programs there is just when I want to run that specific program in Properties there is no such thing as compatibility mode. Yes, and it's Windows 10. Link to compare 2 different programs:

HyUBPNp.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't know why it's not showing, but if you try making a shortcut to crashday.exe then you may be able to run it in compatibility mode on that instead.

If you are familiar with the registry, you could force this app to run in compatibility mode by adding a string value (REG_SZ) to this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

There is a good tutorial on how to do that here:
http://www.verboon.info/2011/03/running-an-application-as-administrator-or-in-compatibility-mode/

Reaction score
Whenever I go to the compatibility tab, the option to run in a prior version is grayed out. :(

Attachments

• 2015-11-23 (1).png
    2015-11-23 (1).png
    427.1 KB · Views: 950

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Rodney, welcome to the forums. Could you try making the shortcut to the app and see if you can add compatibility mode that way please (as described in post #9)?

Reaction score
Hi Rodney, welcome to the forums. Could you try making the shortcut to the app and see if you can add compatibility mode that way please (as described in post #9)?

I'm very very reluctant to play around with the registry....

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Did you try the shortcut method mentioned before that? Basically you can try creating a shortcut to the application. You can probably just right click the app, click "create shortcut" then try and apply the compatibility mode settings to the shortcut instead of the main app. I've success using this method before :).

Reaction score
Did you try the shortcut method mentioned before that? Basically you can try creating a shortcut to the application. You can probably just right click the app, click "create shortcut" then try and apply the compatibility mode settings to the shortcut instead of the main app. I've success using this method before :).

Ohhh okay.... I thought they were both part of the one solution. I'll try it.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm out of ideas unfortunately, unless you're willing to dabble in the registry. It's not for the faint hearted, but as long as you are careful (and have a system image backup, just in case), then it may be worth a go.

Ask a Question