Continuous BSOD // VIDEO TDR FAILURE (nvlddmkm.sys)

Reaction score
Hello,
I recently upgraded to Windows 10, since upgrading I'm having pretty regular BSOD Crashes where the following error message appears;

VIDEO TDR FAILURE (nvlddmkm.sys)

It appears to happen at completly random times, could be watching a youtube video, opening a reddit page or just playing a song on itunes. I've updated to the most recent Nvidia drivers but to no avail. I also tried to follow the following instructions from this youtube video (
[1] ), however its still happening.

If anyone could help me that would be amazing as my computer is currently pretty much unusable! Specs are below, thanks in advanced!

Intel® Core™ 2 Quad-Core Processor Q9550 (2.83Ghz, 1333MHz FSB, 12MB cache)
4096MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [4x1024]
Hard Drive 1TB NCQ SATA (2x500GB) 7200Rpm Dual HDD Config Raid 0 Stripe
Single 1GB DDR3 nVidia® GeForce™ GTX285 graphics card
PCI Card Ageia PhysX 128MB
Integrated HDA 7.1 Dolby Digital Audio

Reaction score
Facing the exact same problem after upgrading to Win 10. This has not been an issue on 8.1 and I have swapped out my video card with another that is working perfectly and the problem is persisting.

I have also uninstalled and done a fresh install of Win 8.1 which works without any issue. Upgraded to Win 10 and problem returns.

In an attempt to troubleshoot this I have downgraded my video drivers to windows 8 versions with no improvement. BSOD's are random, though seem to be triggered by graphically intensive pages or loads. Puts the system into power save mode followed by BSOD error and Reboot.

Nvidia thread on the problem is here

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/729041/video_tdr_failure-nvlddmkm-sys-/

The YouTube fix above likewise did not prevent the BSOD's from occurring.

Anyone have a legit fix?

Reaction score
Same problem here... started today. Unable to use the computer at all. It just keeps rebooting and asking to select a course to take... nothing that I have tried so far works.

Decided to do a fresh install of my 8.1Pro software and monitor this forum for an actual fix. This really sucks.

Reaction score
Let me try to be more detailed...

Upgraded from 8.1 to 10 as soon as it became available. Machine was working fine until yesterday when it crashed and kept crashing with black screens...

I tried the suggestions on this video with not luck:

There was very little that I could do since the machine would not get to a stable screen before crashing... the suggestion in that video was done with the option that you get to go to advance and it allows you to launch a cmd screen... from there I was able to launch the regedit... but again, that did not work.

I ended up reinstalling 8.1 but the problems persist. I replaced the SSD hard drive for a normal hard drive (thinking it could be related to corrupted data), but the problem continues to be the same.

I also upgraded the BIOS on the board to the most recent one (not the BETA version, one version below that...) . No changes to the situation.

This is the description of my system:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4930K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus P9X79 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Blue ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)
Speakers: Genius SP-HF1800A 50W 2ch Speakers
Monitor: ViewSonic VG2436wm-LED 24.0" Monitor
Keyboard: Gigabyte GK-OSMIUM Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Gigabyte GM-KRYPTON Wired Laser Mouse

Since I am now at the 8.1 release level, I will post in the other section of the forum as well... but looking for anyone that has been able to resolve this problem so that I can try to fix my computer!!!

Thank you in advanced.

Reaction score
I just wanted to bump this thread. The fix suggested by Windows Tech Support of running the Win 10 Driver in compatibility mode DOES NOT WORK. Editing The registry as detailed in the above posted video DOES NOT FIX THIS ISSUE.

Fresh Installs of win 10 does not correct this issue.
Video Card replacement does not correct this issue.

BSOD continues to appear with the same error when using Win 10 drivers with Win 7 or Win 8 in compatibility mode.

Also, this error appears to have nothing to do with high graphics loads on the video card. I can log into World of Warcraft and league of legends and play no problem yet opening a youtube video will crash the system.

There are multiple threads for this specific gfx driver issue (nvlddmkm.sys), a hot fix is required if you don't want those people returning to xp or win 7.

This was never an issue in windows 7 or 8, even vista didn't have this problem. Clearly something has been overlooked.

Reaction score
Last edited:
Reaction score
You could try down-clocking the GPU via NVidia nTune.

At this time I have the NVidia driver completely disable... it is the only way that I have been able to boot the computer... on 8.1 Resolution is way low... but it comes up.

I will try the release 10 upgrade again (still with the driver disabled).

Reaction score
So by the sounds of it there doesnt seem to be a fix currently. Is this the sort of issue NVidia / Windows are likely to patch and fix / would even be aware of, or is there no point holding my breath?

Reaction score
So by the sounds of it there doesnt seem to be a fix currently. Is this the sort of issue NVidia / Windows are likely to patch and fix / would even be aware of, or is there no point holding my breath?

Correct... I just tried the upgrade again and the same problem... Windows will just not play nice with NVidia... I really hope that all this has not damaged my graphics car...it was not an inexpensive card!

16e08b4b-ce1f-485b-bac7-f9106e029d17_zpsfvczsfo3.jpg

a16984bb-dd0e-4300-afaa-9f8cb5d16a6b_zpsfqh47yjt.jpg

and then boom!

bacaf6d7-f8f2-459a-82e7-d6648575efdb_zpsj0xhwpvv.jpg

After that message it try to recover the install and reached 95% before failing again. At that moment it did not recovered and it automatically went back to restoring 8.1 :(:(

Reaction score
While I'm glad to see there's a forum for this issue, I as frustrated as everyone else that there seems to be no solution (at least as of 18 August, 2015).

I've had two crashes since upgrading my Samsung laptop to Windows 10 a couple of weeks ago. While I know I'm getting the VIDEO TDR FAILURE blue screen message, not expecting it to happen, I neither had my phone camera ready to snap a screenshot, not did I have pen and paper ready to jot down the error number... but I believe it was the same "nvlddmkm.sys" that others are reporting.

The screenshot Wachuko posted Yesterday at 3:44 PM (Monday, 17 August, 2015) looks exactly what I've seen twice now. (Thanks Wachuko for being quick with the camera.)

Just before both crashes, I wasn't doing anything "fancy"... just looking at various websites on the Internet... then BOOM... The new Win10 Blue Screen of Death.

I guess all I can do at this point is to keep watching this tread to see if anyone comes up with a real fix.... Not a "try this" kind of thing. All I could do was to add my 2 cents to the list of concerned users.

Hopefully Microsoft will get enough reports that they will create a fix. After all the hype about Win10 being so stable, I'm rapidly becoming skeptical.

For what it's worth, when I checked my even log, I saw only the entry that Microsoft put out about error ID 6008 that basic said it was the error recorded with Windows 10 starts back up after an unexpected shut-down (I won't both you with the lame details)... You can read those yourself:
http://www.microsoft.com/products/ee/transform.aspx?ProdName=Windows Operating System&ProdVer=10.0.10240.16384&EvtID=6008&EvtSrc=EventLog&FileVer=10.0.10240.16384&FileName=&EvtType=&LCID=1033

The thing about the event log was that there was absolutely NO warning before the above entry.

So the event log was useless, as it only recorded what happened AFTER the crash.... not what happened before it.

Good luck to all of you.

=========================

Ok... After a few minutes, I'm back. I looked around and found another thread on a different forum in which the bracketed error message was "igdkmd64.sys"... Once I saw that, I think that's the message I was seeing (not "nvlddmkm.sys").

According to that particular forum thread (http://bit.ly/1NCHBRa), the guy posting said the error was caused by a corrupt HP Graphics driver. Be warned, that forum has lots of annoying pop-up messages you must kill in order to read it.

Anyway, I simply went to the device manager and asked windows to check to see if a new driver was available... Apparently there was a new one, so I let windows update the driver. (See attached screenshot.)

Did this solve the issue? It's too soon to tell. After all, there was about a full week between my first crash and the second one about an hour ago. The only "proof" the solution (updating the graphics driver) worked or not will be if I received no more similar crashes.

I'll update this thread if 1. The problem persists (hopefully not) or 2. I can go at least two weeks with no further crashes.

Again... Good luck to all of you!

Attachments

• New_Graphic_Driver_Install_20150818_15_42.jpg
    New_Graphic_Driver_Install_20150818_15_42.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 2,188
Last edited:
Reaction score
Just to let you know, there is a new build available in the Fast Ring of the insider program. Build No 10525. Maybe give that a go.

Reaction score
While I'm glad to see there's a forum for this issue, I as frustrated as everyone else that there seems to be no solution (at least as of 18 August, 2015).

I've had two crashes since upgrading my Samsung laptop to Windows 10 a couple of weeks ago. While I know I'm getting the VIDEO TDR FAILURE blue screen message, not expecting it to happen, I neither had my phone camera ready to snap a screenshot, not did I have pen and paper ready to jot down the error number... but I believe it was the same "nvlddmkm.sys" that others are reporting.

The screenshot Wachuko posted Yesterday at 3:44 PM (Monday, 17 August, 2015) looks exactly what I've seen twice now. (Thanks Wachuko for being quick with the camera.)

Just before both crashes, I wasn't doing anything "fancy"... just looking at various websites on the Internet... then BOOM... The new Win10 Blue Screen of Death.

I guess all I can do at this point is to keep watching this tread to see if anyone comes up with a real fix.... Not a "try this" kind of thing. All I could do was to add my 2 cents to the list of concerned users.

Hopefully Microsoft will get enough reports that they will create a fix. After all the hype about Win10 being so stable, I'm rapidly becoming skeptical.

For what it's worth, when I checked my even log, I saw only the entry that Microsoft put out about error ID 6008 that basic said it was the error recorded with Windows 10 starts back up after an unexpected shut-down (I won't both you with the lame details)... You can read those yourself:
http://www.microsoft.com/products/ee/transform.aspx?ProdName=Windows Operating System&ProdVer=10.0.10240.16384&EvtID=6008&EvtSrc=EventLog&FileVer=10.0.10240.16384&FileName=&EvtType=&LCID=1033

The thing about the event log was that there was absolutely NO warning before the above entry.

So the event log was useless, as it only recorded what happened AFTER the crash.... not what happened before it.

Good luck to all of you.

=========================

Ok... After a few minutes, I'm back. I looked around and found another thread on a different forum in which the bracketed error message was "igdkmd64.sys"... Once I saw that, I think that's the message I was seeing (not "nvlddmkm.sys").

According to that particular forum thread (http://bit.ly/1NCHBRa), the guy posting said the error was caused by a corrupt HP Graphics driver. Be warned, that forum has lots of annoying pop-up messages you must kill in order to read it.

Anyway, I simply went to the device manager and asked windows to check to see if a new driver was available... Apparently there was a new one, so I let windows update the driver. (See attached screenshot.)

Did this solve the issue? It's too soon to tell. After all, there was about a full week between my first crash and the second one about an hour ago. The only "proof" the solution (updating the graphics driver) worked or not will be if I received no more similar crashes.

I'll update this thread if 1. The problem persists (hopefully not) or 2. I can go at least two weeks with no further crashes.

Again... Good luck to all of you!
Hello,
I recently upgraded to Windows 10, since upgrading I'm having pretty regular BSOD Crashes where the following error message appears;

VIDEO TDR FAILURE (nvlddmkm.sys)

It appears to happen at completly random times, could be watching a youtube video, opening a reddit page or just playing a song on itunes. I've updated to the most recent Nvidia drivers but to no avail. I also tried to follow the following instructions from this youtube video (
[1] ), however its still happening.

If anyone could help me that would be amazing as my computer is currently pretty much unusable! Specs are below, thanks in advanced!

Intel® Core™ 2 Quad-Core Processor Q9550 (2.83Ghz, 1333MHz FSB, 12MB cache)
4096MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [4x1024]
Hard Drive 1TB NCQ SATA (2x500GB) 7200Rpm Dual HDD Config Raid 0 Stripe
Single 1GB DDR3 nVidia® GeForce™ GTX285 graphics card
PCI Card Ageia PhysX 128MB
Integrated HDA 7.1 Dolby Digital Audio

----------------------------------

Nvidia have released a new driver today for the card that I'm using (old driver was version 341.74 and new driver is version 341.81). I have installed it and things seem much more stable now. Before I was BSODing about 10 times a day.

Reaction score
Hello
I've experienced exactly the same issues but had (emphasis on "had") got my system stable - as in had gone from regular crashes at least once a day, sometimes several times - to no crashes at all for nearly a week. There have been cumulative Windows 10 updates during the period as well and whether or not that is relevant is unknown (to me at least). BTW - get yourself a copy of "WhoCrashed" from www.resplendence.com if you've not got it. Very useful - analyses system dumps and tells you what happened after the event (assuming you can get your PC booted into windows after the crash)

Just a heads up, I updated the driver to 341.81 and the whole sorry cycle started again with the exact same errors occuring. :mad: I have now re-installed 341.74 and seem to be stable once more (although as has been noted here many times, the crashes can come at any time whilst doing seemingly random things). I'm not sure how long to wait before confidently again declaring myself stable!

My system is a self build and is a few years old. ASUS P5N-D, Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz 8Gb RAM, Tower case with lots of cooling, 2 x GTX280, SLi bridge, 3 screens. I was on Windows 8.1 Pro. Modular PSU. System was completely stable prior to Windows 10 Pro upgrade (currently running image 10.0.10240.16384).

OK - so this is what I did. I'm not saying it will work for you but if nothing else has, it's worth a try.

Naturally, first run usual scans for viruses, malware, rootkits etc. Assuming all clear. Run sfc /scannow in the usual elevated command prompt. You may well find that some core Windows files have been corrupted during the BSOD events. With luck sfc will fix them. If not you'll probably have to go to DISM repair methods (see other threads on this forum or for the definitve guide, go to https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn898549(v=vs.85).aspx)

Before you start, you'll need DDU uninstaller (Guru3D.com) or something similar (or try uninstalling via MS normal method before Safe Mode method below, if you don't like using special uninstallers), a downloaded copy of the nVidia drivers (I put them on the desktop temporarily).

OK - here's what worked (fingers crossed, is still working) for me.
1. Boot into Safe Mode. (easiest - hold shift key whilst clicking "Restart" and follow screens)
1.5 (I choose to reboot into Safe Mode no networking - Option 4)
2. Run DDU as admin. Choose Clean & Reboot. It runs quickly and will only take 30 seconds to finish.
3. Don't reset default Windows behaviour. (It's an option button in DDU)
4. Reboot into Windows (obviously you'll have a default screen res temporarily)
5. Reboot again into Safe Mode
6. Install nVidia driver in Safe Mode. I always choose Custom Install and "Clean Installation"
7. You can't install all modules this way but the main ones get installed.
8. Reboot
9. You may have to rearrange your desktop
10. Cross you fingers and go about enjoying Windows 10

If you want GeForce Experience and other modules of the nVidia package, then be carefull. Certainly, currently, GeForce Experience (which I've installed separately) is advising an update to graphic drivers 341.81, once again I'd say DON'T DO IT at least not until there's more evidence that it fixes problems, not creates them!

Hope this helps. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Using Nvidia 8800GT. Upon upgrading to Windows 10 have same error as everyone else. Upgraded to latest driver 341.81 yesterday and it crashed today with same error. This problem is very random. On other machine with Windows 10 and different Nvidia card (GTX480), (355.60) driver, have had no problems with this error.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ich verwende Auch Eine Nvidia 8800GT mit neuestem Treiber 341,81 und habe laufend Neustarts. Darauf hin habe ich den Treiber deinstalliert und keine Abstürze mehr. Allerdings sehr geringe Auflösung und nur 1 Monitor.

Reaction score
Ich verwende Auch Eine Nvidia 8800GT mit neuestem Treiber 341,81 und habe laufend Neustarts. Darauf hin habe ich den Treiber deinstalliert und keine Abstürze mehr. Allerdings sehr geringe Auflösung und nur 1 Monitor.
Was?

Ask a Question