SOLVED Control Panel not working

Reaction score
Hey,

So...this small problem started when my control panel wouldn't open, when I try it's like my entire desktop gets refreshed (black flicker) and half the app icons in the notification are disappear with no sign of the control panel opening.

I have looked around and found a couple "solutions" but none work
tried this in cmd (admin) "sfc /scannow" which ends with no issues found.

then treid this which also found nothing.
http://download.microsoft.com/downl...-4275-8C95-1BE17BF70B21/CSSEmerg67758.diagcab

So I finally just tried a reset of my computer removing all personal files, apps and settings but that didn't help still have the same problem but now I have more problems!....my audio has stopped working, the icon has the speaker with the little red circle and white cross and when I hover over it it says "The Audio Service is not running." when I click on it it opens up a troubleshoot window which doesn't help it goes through the process and end with a "Not Fixed" and when I click the "Explore additional options" it does that stupid screen refresh thing like when trying to open the control panel, and after I reinstalled my VPN my internet wont work now without it on there is probably more but just not noticed yet haha.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
So I finally just tried a reset of my computer removing all personal files, apps and settings
I hope you backed up all your critical data before doing that.
At this point in the game......
You may want to attempt an in-place upgrade / repair install. Upgrading Windows 10 by installing it over top of itself.
There is a pretty good article here https://neosmart.net/wiki/windows-10-repair-installation/ just ignore the first couple paragraphs where they are promoting their repair products and scroll down to the meat of the article.

If you do not have the installation media....
The installation media can be obtain through either of these two resources.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
OR
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Once you have the ISO, you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive, or simply mount the ISO from within Windows 10 and run setup.exe from there.
Choose upgrade and make sure the box is ticked to obtain updates as part of the upgrade process.

This is a relatively simple and straight forward task and is generally non-destructive (all your data, programs, drivers, etc., should remain intact and unharmed), but.....
Personally I would still have a backup of my critical data, as well as a disk image, so I could recover in the event of some unforeseen problem.

Reaction score
I hope you backed up all your critical data before doing that.

Thankfully I've been storing all my data on external drives for ages now so there is very little actually stored on the computer itself :)

Just done a completely new install of Win10 rather than a repair, Just got most of all my applications reinstalled and everything seems to be working as it should, can get into my control panel again. Just about to reinstall my VPN though, I think that's what screwed my internet up after the reset :mad: guess I will just see what happens.

Thanks for the help.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I've read some things about third party VPN solutions like "Cisco" having some crazy impact on the Operating System either pre or post updates.
Certainly worth further investigation, although you might have to wait for the next update before it explodes again.

Reaction score
crazy impact on the Operating System

ARGH! :mad: Just reinstalled and now can't get an internet connection unless the VPN is connected, when it's not I get a troubleshoot problem that reads "DHCP is not enabled for "Ethernet"" which is what I got last time and I tried a few things I found around to fix it but none worked.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You are probably going to need to tweak the VPN settings, preferences or configuration files.
I don't do this stuff anymore, so I can't be of much help, but generally there are conditions you can configure regarding such things as DHCP as well as "Use DNS on remote network" etc.

Reaction score
My initial problem has been fix so thanks, I guess I will just have to keep looking to find a fix to me new problem haha :)

Ask a Question