SOLVED Critical Error: Start menu and Cortana aren't working.

Reaction score
That's what my husband's laptop says after signing in to Windows 10. He installed an upgrade to Windows 10 about a week ago, and no problems until yesterday - 8/9/2015. A window comes up saying "Critical Error - Start menu and Cortana aren't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in." Then there is a button within that window that says, "Sign out now." When he clicks on "Sign out now" his laptop restarts, shows the page with the date, he is able to clear that to the sign in page, he puts in his password, hits enter, and the same critical error shows again on his desktop. He is locked into this round robin. The toolbar doesn't load all the usual icons. He clicked on the google chrome icon on the desktop one of the times, and its homepage came up, but he was unable to use the page or to access the internet. At first he was able to click on something in the lower right corner and learned that he had internet access, but he still couldn't access the internet. Now that piece of information is unavailable to him. When he right clicks on his desktop, the right-click window comes up as usual, but when he clicks on "display settings" for example, he gets another window that says, "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel." However, the slide show of his photos he uses for his desktop display or background is working well. What can he do to fix his Start Menu?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum,
Try starting his computer in safe mode and see if the same problem persists.
Instead of logging in.... at the login screen use the power button (bottom near the left next to the ease of access icon), hold the shift key and select restart. Then you'll need to navigate the subsequent screen(s) to get to startup options and then select safe mode (I think option 4)
I believe the screen selection will be
Troubleshoot
Advanced options
Startup Settings
Restart
and then select the number next to safe mode
Good luck
Keep us posted.

Reaction score
Thank you! Your directions were right on. He got into safe mode with no problem following your steps. Once there, he found he was able to access everything he tried. He then restarted his computer, and it looks like he's still sort of in safe mode, although it's not labelled that way anymore on the desktop. He is still able to access everything, but it's all running slower than before all the problem started.

I noticed as he went through the steps, that the same screen that showed "Startup Settings" also had the option "Startup Repair." Would that have fixed his problem?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I noticed as he went through the steps, that the same screen that showed "Startup Settings" also had the option "Startup Repair." Would that have fixed his problem?
Generally speaking, if the machine is "Starting UP" then "Start Up repair" is probably not going to do much.
it looks like he's still sort of in safe mode, although it's not labelled that way anymore on the desktop
That may be a result of either the screen resolution settings or possibly he needs a driver update for his video card, although he needs to be careful on that and make sure he is installing the correct one from the proper source and that he knows how to either not install the portions of the driver that pertain to 3D settings or that he knows how to disable them.
it's all running slower than before all the problem started.
That might be just because it is still sorting itself out. There are a lot of things going on in the background initially which you'll just have to be patient and wait till they subside. If things are still bad (slow) after several hours, you might take a look at the number of startup items you have running.
Right click the taskbar and choose start task manager, look at the startup tab.

Reaction score
Thank you for explaining things in a way that makes sense to us amateurs. It was a result of his screen resolution settings, at least partly. It seems to have been resolved. My husband says that his laptop is running a lot better today, not as slow as yesterday, so it's nice to see improvements. I told him about your advice to check on the number of items in the startup. He will check that next time he boots up his laptop, probably tomorrow. Thank you!

Reaction score
Hi to all,
I had the same issue. Downloaded W10 from W8.1 about two weeks ago up until today it has been operating flawlessly, with some minor issues. But this morning received the same Critical Error message. I followed the instruction on this post but it did resolve the same way as the previous person, while in the SAfe Mode it indicated that my Security settings were preventing a start up. So while in this mode I restated and seems to be behaving a little better. I will shut down again and restart. But thanks for this post and this great site postings. Best regards,

Reaction score
Thanks Trouble, I had this same issue this morning when I signed in. Trialled w10 on an old desktop for a week before migrating my main desktop, and then when happy with that did my wife's laptop yesterday. This morning had the Critical Error on my main desktop . I read and tried half a dozen 'fixes' that I found on Microsoft forums - none worked. But strangely this did. All I did was follow your instructions to boot into Safe mode (would never have found Safe Mode if not for them) - everything worked OK. Then I re-started and all's well. For how long I don't know, but there are so many reports of the same issue out there that Microsoft have to come up with a permanent fix soon. Thanks again

Reaction score
I was receiving the Critical Error message, and googling around, found a fix which is to go to task manager, boot in safe mode, restart go back to task manager, boot by unclicking safe mode. This works and gets everything up and running well. BUT...this does this every so many days, the Critical Error Message. If I repeat the process it works fine again. I can tell when this is going to happen, I cannot get my tiles to open when clicking nor can I get my volume control to open. Hoping this is something Microsoft will fix, but any ideas why it keeps happening? Thanks

Reaction score
Instead of logging in.... at the login screen use the power button (bottom near the left next to the ease of access icon), hold the shift key and select restart. Then you'll need to navigate the subsequent screen(s) to get to startup options and then select safe mode (I think option 4)
Troubleshoot
Advanced options
Startup Settings
Restart
Good luck
Keep us posted.

Reaction score
Hi
I have the same critical error message as the other post..I tried to follow your instructions but I can't find any button on the bottom left..completely confused...help

Reaction score
I too have the critical error start menu & curtains not working. I have no "power" button on my type cover for Surface pro 1st gen. So cannot access the safe mode. I have tried everything I've seen suggested and nothing works..cannot boot I safe mode. I am unable to use my surface at all. I can only access to programs on the desktop but the critical error message window covers most of the screen. I notice that when my mouse is on the toolbar, it has the timer icon that indicates its working on something.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Again, I am not at all certain that booting into safe mode will provide a solution (even a temporary one) but if you are not able to get into Safe Mode by holding the Shift Key while clicking restart....
There is another possible option albeit somewhat convoluted.
It involves booting from the Installation Media
Obtain (if you don't already have it) the Windows 10 ISO from either of these two resources.....
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
You'll then need to burn it to a DVD in order to boot your machine
From which you should be able to
Select Advanced Options from this screen

advancedoptions-jpg.895

Then select Troubleshoot from this screen

troubleshoot-jpg.896

Then select Startup Settings from this screen

commandprompt-jpg.897

If that doesn't work then you'll need to select Command Prompt from the previous Screen and
type
bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy
reboot your PC and tap the F8 key (no shift key required) and it should work for you as it has in the past.

to return your boot menu to normal
bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy standard

Reaction score
Troubleshoot
Advanced options
Startup Settings
Restart
Good luck
Keep us posted.
Thank you so very much :) I had tried a few other fixes that I'd found online but they didn't work and I was literally "pulling my hair out" but your instructions worked for me! I'm so very grateful :)

Reaction score
Obtain (if you don't already have it) the Windows 10 ISO from either of these two resources.....
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Before I start with such a complex fix I wanted to verify that this is the right path. I predate Windows and started with W3 so have some miles on "fixes" and had tried all of the above and more
except these two suggestions before finding this thread. I hate to go through all of the system restore, etc if there is any other option. I just did it to install a fresh Win 7 before putting Win 10 on top. Any thoughts? Do you think this could really work? Gad! Been at this hours :).

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Before I start with such a complex fix I wanted to verify that this is the right path. I predate Windows and started with W3 so have some miles on "fixes" and had tried all of the above and more
except these two suggestions before finding this thread. I hate to go through all of the system restore, etc if there is any other option. I just did it to install a fresh Win 7 before putting Win 10 on top. Any thoughts? Do you think this could really work? Gad! Been at this hours :).
Your question is unclear.....
"right path" to what or for what?
"Do you think this could really work", really work for what.
I think I made myself clear that
Again, I am not at all certain that booting into safe mode will provide a solution (even a temporary one)
You've jumped in on the end of a thread about a particular issue "Critical Error" is the topic of the thread.
At best, in some rare cases, apparently booting into safe mode or safe mode with networking (choices #4 or #5) has at least gotten a few people over the hump and I suppose allowed them to move forward and address whatever was causing their initial issue which I also suppose were many and varied.

Reaction score
I think I made myself clear that
My sincere apologies for being disrespectful. It was not my intention. My search for solutions to this problem has indicated that some fixes worked and some did not, or that they worked for a time and then the problem reappeared. I appreciate your response and will remove myself from the discussion so I don't cause any more problems.

Reaction score
I too have the critical error start menu & curtains not working. I have no "power" button on my type cover for Surface pro 1st gen. So cannot access the safe mode. I have tried everything I've seen suggested and nothing works..cannot boot I safe mode. I am unable to use my surface at all. I can only access to programs on the desktop but the critical error message window covers most of the screen. I notice that when my mouse is on the toolbar, it has the timer icon that indicates its working on something.

Today, I shut the Surface Pro down and then held the "Windows" button while hitting the on/off button. I did this twice and the second time, a screen came up advising not to shut off computer while computer is updating. Now, my computer is back ! All the icons on the task bar are there and everything appears to be working AOK. I also tried the "shift" key w/the on/off but it didn't work. Don't know how long this "fix" will last, as it's only been an hour since my computer came back to life. Thought it might be worth a try for others. Could it have been that the computer was shut off when it was downloading updates? It's possible, however, I never do that when I see the update screen.

Reaction score
Following up on my Thursday post after restarting with the windows key......I've shut the SurfacePro down three times and each time I restarted, it boots up with no problems - so it has worked fine for 2 days ! I had forgotten to mention previously that I had tried various "fixes", including uninstalling Avast software. I reinstalled Avast as soon as the computer came "back" from the critical error and it is still fine.

Reaction score
I hated Windows 8 and then when 8.1 came out it was a little better. I have this on my wife's computer. But if I want to get any real work done I used my PC with Windows 7. So I waited a month to see what Windows 10 was like and the reviews were good so I installed it on my wife's computer. It seemed great. Everything worked well for about a week. Then one morning the start menu critical error popped up. Edge flashes but won't open when I have this. Once in a while on a restart it would work for a bit then come back later. I have tried many of the fixes only to have it return. Finally rolled back to Windows 8.1 until this is resolved.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
47 Pages of people suffering the same issue here on the Microsoft Community Forum for Windows 10.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...771-9f93-55a75a71df87?page=1&tm=1441036054583
Some suggestion that it may be related to a third party security suite (Avast, AVG, Norton, etc., mentioned)
Another post from someone @MSFT suggesting that they are at least aware of the issue and have provided some fixes but apparently those are not working for "everyone".

Ask a Question