SOLVED Edge browser responds 'Hmm, we can't reach this page' to all requests. Other browsers work.

Reaction score
See description. Also unable to add gmail to the mail application. May be something with network settings but unable to find a solution.

Reaction score
I am having the exact same issue. Microsoft Edge can't open or resolve ANY url's what-so-ever. However, all other browsers work just fine.

I can't make any sense of it. All other applications appear to have network and internet access without any issue. ONLY the EDGE Browser can't do anything.

Anyone got anything on this?

Reaction score
You need administrator rights on your machine to perform the following:

Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

First make a copy of the file "hosts" for safety reasons and paste it into a different location of your choice. Then open the file using WordPad. Remove any static IP that you can find or put a # in front of it. In my case, it was a 127.x.x.x localhost in the last line of the contents. Save the changes, restart your computer, and it should work - at least it worked for me. Took me 2 days to figure.

If you can't edit the file in the folder, copy and edit it on your desktop, and then paste it back into the original folder.

UPDATE: Unfortunately it seemed to work only once. After I restarted the next time, the problem came back, and I'm back to square one. Frustrating indeed.

Last edited:
Reaction score
OK, I found the following workaround. Not sure if this is the most elegant way, but it works on my machine and should do the trick until MS will release relevant fixes:
  1. Right-click the Windows start icon on the bottom left and select Network Connections
  2. Right-click the (wireless) adapter icon and select Properties
  3. Scroll down the list and click on Internet Protocol version (TCP/IPv4) and then click on Properties
  4. Change the DNS values from automatic to manual and enter the values Preferred DNS server 8.8.8.8 and Alternate DNS server 8.8.8.4 (Google DNS server address)
  5. Click OK

Reaction score
OK, I found the following workaround. Not sure if this is the most elegant way, but it works on my machine and should do the trick until MS will release relevant fixes:
  1. Right-click the Windows start icon on the bottom left and select Network Connections
  3. Scroll down the list and click on Internet Protocol version (TCP/IPv4) and then click on Properties
  4. Change the DNS values from automatic to manual and enter the values Preferred DNS server 8.8.8.8 and Alternate DNS server 8.8.8.4 (Google DNS server address)
  5. Click OK
None of the above work for me. Additional details:
Google browser works for everything.
Mail works only for Apple (.me) mail. When attempting to add google mail, it says there's no internet connection, and then gives error 0x800c0005.

Reaction score
None of the above work for me. Additional details:
Google browser works for everything.
Mail works only for Apple (.me) mail. When attempting to add google mail, it says there's no internet connection, and then gives error 0x800c0005.
Removed McAfee and problem was resolved. There were two firewalls fighting with each other.

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that it's not working on your machine.

I had the same situation, i.e. Internet connection with Chrome, Skype, etc. but couldn't connect with Edge, Store, etc.

Before I could find the above fix, I tried many other things.

Upgrading from Windows 7, one of the first things I did was to sign in with a Microsoft Account. In Windows 7 this wasn't necessary, but with Windows 8.x and now Windows 10 it apparently is. This way, I wanted to ensure that the Store and Edge recognize me through the Microsoft account.

Among others, I then tested wireless using an alternate connection, i.e. not using my router but wireless hotspot tethering via my Android smartphone. Interestingly, via the hotspot I could run Edge and the store with a functioning Internet connection. This way, I could narrow down that the problem apparently related to my wireless adapter.

Checking Device Manager, I couldn't see that there would be anything wrong with it. The adapter was reported as functioning and driver version was the most recent from April this year. I then checked compatibility of the adapter with Windows 10 and found out that the driver, though being the most recent and not showing any error, wasn't Windows 10 compatible.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter/Home?Language=en-US

I used Windows Update via the said tethered connection and attempted driver upgrade. I also re-entered license key of Windows 7, and did all other things I could think of and find on the Internet.

After all attempts finding a newer and compatible driver version failed, I went to a computer shop and bought a new wireless notebook adapter. It was quite easy to change, but a time consuming USD 30.00 investment in an older machine.

To my disappointment, the problem persisted, even with the new adapter and compatible driver. With some further research, I then found the host file problem above and could make it connect and function once.

The final hint I didn't get from Edge but from the error message that the Store produced, which helped me narrowing it down further, until I could find the above DNS modification solution.

I tried a number of other things during this journey. Some of them I can't even remember. I believe that the phenomenon may have been caused by a combination of issues and not only a single one. The story might be a completely different one on your machine, resulting in the same symptoms. I hope that anyway the above will be useful to you and other users to find a fix to this very annoying problem.

Reaction score
Happy to hear that could fix it while I was writing my above message. Apparently, different root causes indeed.

Reaction score
Okay.. so definitive resolution.

If the Windows Service "DNS Client" is turned off, disabled, or not running... Microsoft Edge will not resolve DNS entries.

I enabled and started the Service (It ended up being Disabled after the upgrade) and Microsoft Edge worked perfectly.

Reaction score
Changed the settings accordingly, and it's working fine also on my machine. Great!
Thank you for sharing.

Reaction score
What worked for me was changing the network from public to private. However, for some reason I don't have this option on Windows 10 (It should be available), then I had to play with the registry.

run regedit and go to

HK local machine>software>microsoft>windows nt>current version>network list>profiles>{GUID}"Category"

Find the profile for the network you are interested in and change the category value to 1 from 0.

Not sure if needed but I restarted my computer and edge started working. The Network and Sharing center still says I'm not connected to any networks but doesn't seem to affect anything I need.

Found this solution on tinkertry under "how to change windows 8.1 network type from public to private"

Gus

Reaction score
It's a bug. Plain and simple. A bug for Microsoft to fix. Edge can't make a connection to anything. Likewise, I found "Windows Feedback" brings up a window, then hangs, nothing can be typed into it--it may be related. At the same time, other browsers work just fine and other network utilities, e.g., Skype, Google Drive, DropBox, OneDrive, Cygwin ssh, VPN tools, etc., they all work just fine too.
It is not a network problem (my DNS Client is running). It is a Microsoft Edge problem.
Here is a simple work-around: (1) unpin Edge from your task bar, (2) invoke iexplore.exe through "Run" (yes, it is still there) and once you get the icon in the task bar, pin it there, (3) go to "Internet Options > Programs" and click on "Make it default browser for all apps", follow the steps, (4) complain to Microsoft in any way you can.

Gus

Reaction score
I'm happy to report that this bug is now fixed in a patch that is available. This afternoon I noticed it on my system, applied it, and found that it fixed both Edge and Windows Feedback. Both work fine now.

Reaction score
I'm happy to report that this bug is now fixed in a patch that is available. This afternoon I noticed it on my system, applied it, and found that it fixed both Edge and Windows Feedback. Both work fine now.
How do I obtain this patch?

Reaction score
  5. Click OK

This worked like a charm! thank you Roland! Tried various things to correct this problem and this is what finally worked for me.

Reaction score
A lot of looking and a simple fix: My DNS client was disabled. Started the DNS and Edge has discovered the internet!

Thanks Vapok :)

If the Windows Service "DNS Client" is turned off, disabled, or not running... Microsoft Edge will not resolve DNS entries.

I enabled and started the Service (It ended up being Disabled after the upgrade) and Microsoft Edge worked perfectly.

Reaction score

How do you enable and start the Service? Where do you find Windows Service "DNS Client"?

Ask a Question