SOLVED Error at start up - There was a problem starting P17RunE.dll

Reaction score
Hello, after i updated my windows to win 10 from win 7, i got this error everytime i start my pc:
There was a problem starting P17RunE.dll. The specific module could not be found.
I tried to search my C drive for P17RunE.dll and resulst are :
C:\Windows.old\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRe pository\p17.inf_amd64_neutral_1ccea852d2b1b3d0\Wi n2k_xp
C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\p17 .inf_amd64_1ccea852d2b1b3d0\Win2k_xp

Can you help me how to get rid of this error at startup plz?

Reaction score
Apparently that error is related to Creative Technology software. It is not compatible with Win 10.
You could try uninstalling the Creative software. or have a look on their site for an updated driver and/or software.

Or try running SFC /SCANNOW

• Click in the "Search the web and Windows" box at the bottom left.
  • Type in "cmd" with out the the quotes.
  • You should see "Command Prompt" "Desktop App".
  • Right click on it an select "Run as Administrator"
  • When the command prompt app appears, type in SFC /SCANNOW
See how that goes.
Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Apparently that error is related to Creative Technology software. It is not compatible with Win 10.
You could try uninstalling the Creative software. or have a look on their site for an updated driver and/or software.

Or try running SFC /SCANNOW

• Click in the "Search the web and Windows" box at the bottom left.
  • Type in "cmd" with out the the quotes.
  • You should see "Command Prompt" "Desktop App".
  • Right click on it an select "Run as Administrator"
  • When the command prompt app appears, type in SFC /SCANNOW
See how that goes.
Hope this helps.

Well i dont have any creative product on my pc tho :/

Reaction score
Have you tried running SFC /SCANNOW?
Yes i've tried that, still that error exists. And also i had creative soundcard on my pc before but not anymore for about a year. i saw there s some leftover folders of creative and i ve cleaned them all with driver sweeper and nothing changed

Reaction score
Ok, well you can download Autoruns.
  • Run it.
  • When it is finished, type in P17RunE.dll in the search box.
  • When/if it finds where the system is trying to run, untick the box next to that line.
  • That will disable it only.
  • Reboot and see how it goes.

Reaction score
Ok, well you can download Autoruns.
  • Run it.
  • When it is finished, type in P17RunE.dll in the search box.
  • When/if it finds where the system is trying to run, untick the box next to that line.
  • That will disable it only.
  • Reboot and see how it goes.
Thanks much, no longer it gives error at startup :). Btw that program found that P17RunE.dll on this registry HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. Should i delete it if possible or i should just keep it unticked like that?

Reaction score
Just leave it unticked. It won't do any harm disabled.

If all is good, please mark the thread as solved.

Cheers.

Reaction score
I get the same error message, and I DO have Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z. Have tried reinstalling the Creative Labs stuff, and A) I still get the error message at start-up, and B) sound is still messed up.

I don't want to disable it, because I figure it's connected with the issue with the sound problems I'm having.

Edit: I should also mention that Creative Labs told me to come here, so please don't say "go there."

Last edited:

Ask a Question