Error Code: 0xc0000225 at boot

Reaction score
Hello all,

Hopefully my hard drive isn't toast and someone can help me as my issue seems to be more specific then all the fixes ive read through on the internet for the past week!

Background: Acer Aspire E15 running Windows 10 was updating and I shut down the laptop. (Yes I already know, so don't even tell me)

The Result: Windows will not boot at all.

What I've attempted to do to repair: So in BIOS I've tried to switch it to switch from UEFI to Legacy and vice versa and always get No Bootable Device. I've switched the boot order to boot from USB with Windows 10 on the USB. When booting on the UEFI Boot mode I get no bootable device. If I switch to Legacy it boots to a Windows screen that says:

Recovery

Your PC/Device needs to be repaired

The application or operating system could not be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors.

File: \windows\system32\boot\winload.exe
Error code: 0xc0000225

You'll need to use recovery tools.

Press Enter to try again.
Press F8 for Startup settings.

After hitting enter or f8 the screen flashes and nothing happens.

I cannot get into recovery tools, I cannot get anywhere else except top this screen regardless of key combinations I push.
Nothing works, so you guys are my last hope.

I believe that the master boot record needs to be restored, however I don't know how to go about restoring it when I cant access the windows recovery/repair screen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you kindly.

Reaction score
The 'old' way was to boot from a Windows install CD. go to the command prompt and then do fix /mbr ( or some very similar command) I guess that with W10 one would have to have a CD or an official W10 USB stick to do that.

Reaction score
I do have a valid Windows 10 USB and its not possible to get anywhere but to the screen I have mentioned above.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You may have to obtain the Windows 10 installation media and boot from that.
The installation media can be obtained through either of these two resources.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
OR
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Once you have the ISO, you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive, either of which you can use to boot your computer.

When you've managed to boot from the installation media you need to click the Repair Your PC link on the second page after the Choose a Language and Keyboard layout page.
That should get you to the Advanced Troubleshooting options.
From there you can use the Command prompt option to attempt to repair your PC.
Typically
bootrec /fixboot
hit enter
bootrec /fixmbr
hit enter
bootrec /rebuildbcd
hit enter
reboot your computer
Usually this is something that Startup Repair does or is suppose to do, but....
You have to run it multiple times, which can be a pain and still might not work.
Not saying that this is the solution to your particular problem, but it might be worth trying.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/927392

Reaction score
Are you guys even reading what ive posted? I have installation media on a usb drive... There is no other screen or option or button to push other then the one I have mentioned above.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
So in BIOS I've tried to switch it to switch from UEFI to Legacy and vice versa and always get No Bootable Device
Sounds to me like your installation media may have a problem.
When booting on the UEFI Boot mode I get no bootable device. If I switch to Legacy it boots to a Windows screen that says:

Recovery

Although reading what you posted is a bit confusing if not directly contradictory, it either "always get no bootable device" or it doesn't.
Do you have any idea as to which configuration was present during the initial install? Was it UEFI or Legacy?
IF UEFI then you will need to configure your installation media properly in order to boot to it.....

Rufus.JPG

Reaction score
The media is installed correctly and like I mentioned above it was done on both legacy and uefi I've tried it both ways to no avail.

Update: Ive somehow managed to get a Acer splash screen that either says preparing recovery and it just hangs or it just hangs on the Acer splash screen with the spin wheel. Also in my BIOS using UEFI the boot order now lists "Windows Boot Manager" as one of the options which i've tried booting from and still get the splash screen then goes black and hangs.

Reaction score
Hello all,

Hopefully my hard drive isn't toast and someone can help me as my issue seems to be more specific then all the fixes ive read through on the internet for the past week!

Background: Acer Aspire E15 running Windows 10 was updating and I shut down the laptop. (Yes I already know, so don't even tell me)

The Result: Windows will not boot at all.

What I've attempted to do to repair: So in BIOS I've tried to switch it to switch from UEFI to Legacy and vice versa and always get No Bootable Device. I've switched the boot order to boot from USB with Windows 10 on the USB. When booting on the UEFI Boot mode I get no bootable device. If I switch to Legacy it boots to a Windows screen that says:

Recovery

The application or operating system could not be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors.

File: \windows\system32\boot\winload.exe
Error code: 0xc0000225

You'll need to use recovery tools.

Press Enter to try again.
Press F8 for Startup settings.

After hitting enter or f8 the screen flashes and nothing happens.

I cannot get into recovery tools, I cannot get anywhere else except top this screen regardless of key combinations I push.
Nothing works, so you guys are my last hope.

I believe that the master boot record needs to be restored, however I don't know how to go about restoring it when I cant access the windows recovery/repair screen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you kindly.
Have you been able to fix this? My laptop is doing the EXACT SAME THING and I got it a little over a week ago.

Reaction score
I just encountered this same issue with a Lenovo Y700 on which I clean-installed Windows 10 and re-partitioned the hard drive immediately after purchasing in May 2016.

@Trouble 's answer fixed the issue for me. I inserted the recovery USB I'd set up and held F12 when the manufacturer logo appeared at startup to boot from the recovery disk instead of the Windows boot manager. Once the options came up, I navigated through the first few screens to the Advanced options (per @Trouble instructions) and the used the command prompt.

I'll note that the final "rebuild bcd" command returned a message on completion that said there were "0 Windows installations found" or something like that, so I was worried it hadn't succeeded, but hitting my power key to reboot immediately after that got me back to my normal startup screen and everything seems to be working fine now.

For those for whom this DOESN'T work, here's someone who had a similar issue with Windows 8 and managed to solve the problem by going a few steps further:
http://www.qliktips.com/2012/11/fix-windows-8-boot-issue.html

Don't know if that will work in Windows 10, but all the other error text and recovery steps seem to be exactly the same across the two OS versions, so it may be worth a try.

Reaction score
Have you managed to fix this? I have this exact same problem on my custom built gaming PC.

Reaction score
0xc0000221 0xc0000225 0xc0000098

These errors are a pain well I think i have cracked it won't know for a week or two. The PCI Express, PCI express 2.0 and PCI express 3.0 are different graphic cards with different speeds and different packet lengths there is about 3-4 main differences between these cards I have a PCI Express graphics card in a PCI Express 2.0 Motherboard and have been butting my head against the wall for a week now and last night I think I cracked it. Header checksum doesn't match computed checksum this is what these errorss add up to and I believe the header mentioned here is the Header in the graphics that has to match digital analog monitors TV video DVD if the sums don't match when measuring the compatibility of the sent packages then they get disgarded. I know you will read that these different cards will run together MOST of the time but that was 3 years ago before the new complications of the modern computers I haven't tested my theory yet its only a theory so far but if you are having the same problem and you have a matching graphics card on hand I would love to hear if my theory is correct as I am poor and will have to wait to buy a new graphics card which I hope to order tonight as this makes sense to me.....

Reaction score
Summary of PCI Express Interface Parameters:
Base Clock Speed: PCIe 3.0 = 8.0GHz, PCIe 2.0 = 5.0GHz, PCIe 1.1 = 2.5GHz
Data Rate: PCIe 3.0 = 1000MB/s, PCIe 2.0 = 500MB/s, PCIe 1.1 = 250MB/s
Total Bandwidth: (x16 link): PCIe 3.0 = 32GB/s, PCIe 2.0 = 16GB/s, PCIe 1.1 = 8GB/s
Data Transfer Rate: PCIe 3.0 = 8.0GT/s, PCIe 2.0= 5.0GT/s, PCIe 1.1 = 2.5GT/s

Reaction score
0xc0000221 0xc0000225 0xc0000098

These errors are a pain well I think i have cracked it won't know for a week or two. The PCI Express, PCI express 2.0 and PCI express 3.0 are different graphic cards with different speeds and different packet lengths there is about 3-4 main differences between these cards I have a PCI Express graphics card in a PCI Express 2.0 Motherboard and have been butting my head against the wall for a week now and last night I think I cracked it. Header checksum doesn't match computed checksum this is what these errorss add up to and I believe the header mentioned here is the Header in the graphics that has to match digital analog monitors TV video DVD if the sums don't match when measuring the compatibility of the sent packages then they get disgarded. I know you will read that these different cards will run together MOST of the time but that was 3 years ago before the new complications of the modern computers I haven't tested my theory yet its only a theory so far but if you are having the same problem and you have a matching graphics card on hand I would love to hear if my theory is correct as I am poor and will have to wait to buy a new graphics card which I hope to order tonight as this makes sense to me.....

Well This Did not work but I have the correct graphics card now.

Reaction score
Have you managed to fix this? I have this exact same problem on my custom built gaming PC.

No the Graphics card did not help I have a 500w power supply unit what size is yours?
What is the condition of your HDD's have software on it or blank has it had a 32bit file system?
I have sh harddrives and my 500w psu is NEW. we should compare notes on this problem me might fond somthing similar wrong, I also occasionally have my computer reboot unexpectedly.

Reaction score
I just been reading the manual for the asrock Mb that doesn't come with the MB and it states that sata drivers are to be installed before installing windows is this the way its suspose to be done are these error appearing because the sata drives are invisible?

Reaction score
0xc0000225 0xc0000221 0xc0000098 Error Codes.

Ok got it working,
1. A 980de3/u3s3 is a different Motherboard to a 980de3/u3s3 R2.0
2. It has different drivers and different Bios Files
3. the R2.0 is the newer MB
4. I upgraded the bios to the latest Bios then on reboot I had a checksum error
5. I have removed 3 sticks of ram and also all the other devices
6. Bios settings I set to optinal then in storage selected the AHCI i think and disabled the ide side of things- could have chosen IDE but could incur errors later if I selected ide.
Did a custom install easiest install ever. now I have weeks of work infront of me to get it up to speed

Reaction score
OK when I loaded up the ram again I found that the 2 and fourth ram slots are faulty I switched the ram around etc all four sticks of ram work but only 2 off the 4 ram slots work.

Reaction score
Ok, tried all of that, then they tell me that they UPGRADED from Windows 8 to Win 10. There is NO install media. Now what do I do? Can I use the Win 8 disc to get it to boot?

Reaction score
Did you back of your ram timing one notch as the ram timing is overspec it won't run on full spec with 4 ram sticks it will on two don't go back to 8 stick with 10 is good
I forget the timing spec exactly but back the 1833 back to the next down 1600 I think it is that will fix these error codes.

Ask a Question