Fail on 24% every time

Reaction score
Windows 10 installation is driving me insane.

Firstly I tried the method of forcing the update using wuauclt.exe /updatenow in the cmd. Everything downloaded fine, however it fails when 'preparing for installation'. It comes up with a different error code every time, mostly error 80070003. I have done the following to try to resolve this:

- http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/91738-windows-update-reset.html
- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/910336
- http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-update-error-80070003#1TC=windows-7
- Clean Boot (I've attached a services report)
- turned off internet after
download
- unplugged every peripheral
-Uninstalled my virus software and firewall

with no luck. This take me 5 hours to download every time and it fails every time so I've given up on that method.

So I've tried the ISO method using mediacreationtoolx64 by downloading the iso. I have tried to install it from a usb, dvd and by mounting the iso. Every time it gets to 24% and comes up with the installation failed dialog box.

I thought it was a dodgy iso so i downloaded it again and again with the same result. So I tried downloading a version from kickass without the media creation tool and the same thing happened.

I have tried every fix I can find on the forums and nothing works. I have done error checks on my disk and nothing is wrong. I've ensured my C part is not fragmented and even freed up 100GB of space. The next thing I can think of is to do a clean install of windows 8.1 and install it on that. However I don't know where my software discs are so i risk loosing my programs that I paid for.

Can anyone help with this, (possibly any bios settings i may have selected by for my hackintosh part). Could it be trying to install on another partition? I've attached a screen shot of my partitions. I have no idea anymore
thanks.
Billy

System Specs:

Lenovo Y50-70 Touch
CPU: i7-1410HQ (not OC'd)
RAM: 2 x Hyundai 4GB HMT451S6BFR8A-PB]
GPU: Intel HD 4600 and 4GB GTX860m
HDD: 1TB Western Digital WD10S21X
Optical Drive: ASUS SDRW-08D2S-U USB Device
Network Adapter: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160

Attachments

• partitiontables.png
    partitiontables.png
    166.5 KB · Views: 1,043
  • Servrpt.txt
    8.1 KB · Views: 1,164

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello billy and welcome to the forum.
Man.... that is frustrating.
AND it looks to me like you've already done everything I would think to do to attempt to overcome that issue.
I wish I had a magic bullet that I could recommend but I simply don't. The things you've done are the things I would have done.
AND
Just to add more to your already frustrating experience, I can remember that the exact same thing happened to me a couple years back when attempting to Upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 8 (not 8.1).
It failed repeatedly despite every effort on my part to overcome the problem it just kept failing and reverting back.
I finally gave up and did a custom clean install, which was it's own little problem to overcome since initially Windows 8 was only available as an upgrade and doing a clean install from upgrade media required jumping through a few hoops to make the key work.
Unfortunately, that.... is not even an option for you, as there are no product keys that will work for the "free" upgrade process.
I do wish you good luck and if you ever manage to resolve the issue, please come back to your thread here and let us know how you managed to do it.

Reaction score
Turns out everything seemed to be broken on my computer, recovery partitions were corrupt, dism couldn't repair system. Decided to download windows 8.1 iso, wipe all the drives, clean install, re-activate windows 8.1 and then install windows 10. Then recovery deleted partitions to get my data back (Wouldn't recommend this as a solution as it can't always find your deleted data, I just got lucky in a sense). Was the only thing that worked. I guess total security 360 and Comodo could stop the viruses doing there damage.

Computer is only a couple months old aswell

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I guess total security 360 and Comodo could stop the viruses doing there damage.
I'm wondering if they had anything to do with your problem, if either or both were present on the computer that you were attempting to upgrade?

Reaction score
I'm wondering if they had anything to do with your problem, if either or both were present on the computer that you were attempting to upgrade?

Thats what I thought, so I uninstalled them and double checked they weren't running any of their services prior to attempting the install but to no avail.

Reaction score
Billy.. i have the exact same issue.
24% then "Something Happens"... driving me mad.

tried every "solution" on the net.. language/region/time - date/boot up clean/new admin account/ upgrade via iso-usb-~BT Folder nothing works.

The laptop is Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga.. is Lenovo the problem?
also upgrading from Win8.1pro

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hey I also have the same exact issue. I almost tried every solution I found and tried to upgrade via windows update 4 times, Downloaded the ISO file too. No luck at all. When upgrading I also got your error code most of time. When installing from ISO it stops about at 24% and get a gray box called "Something Happened".
My PC is DELL Latitude E5540
Hope someone will find a solution for this..

Reaction score
I found a solution and I think it might work for you too since you problem seems very similar. It turns out that there was some problem with the boot configuration data and I simply had to rebuild it. I found good instruction of how to do it here - https://www.winhelp.us/repair-your-c...8.html#bootrec - look for "Step 1.3 (optional) - repair Boot Configuration Data". More clear and straight forward instructions can be found here http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixthe...re-windows.htm , but they only work for legacy boot mode, if you have UEFI boot mode you will need to use following commands instead:

diskpart (opens Disk Partitioning tool)
select disk 0
list volume (please note the number of the volume that has no drive letter assigned and has FAT32 listed in Fs column)
select volume <the number of ~500 MB FAT32 volume with no drive letter, or with label ESP>
assign letter=Z: (gives drive letter Z: to EFI System Partition)
exit (closes Disk Partitioning tool)
cd /d Z:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\ (changes current folder in Command Prompt window)
attrib Z:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD -h -r -s (removes hidden, read-only and system attributes from BCD folder)
ren Z:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD BCD.old (renames BCD folder to BCD.old)
bootrec /rebuildbcd (retries the rebuild)

PS: Took this from another forum btw. It worked for me. You are welcome..

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I had the same problem and none of the suggested solutions really helped me out.
Today I have found another way around, which actually works pretty good, at least for my PC)

It is described pretty good here:

http://borncity.com/win/2015/08/08/is-easeus-partition-manager-a-windows10-upgrade-killer/

http://www.eightforums.com/installa...ry-could-not-find-recovery-environment-3.html

In short: if you have used a partition manager before and you have a laptop with some recovery partitions, there is a huge chance that it has messed their IDs.

Ask a Question