SOLVED feature update to windows 10,version 1607

Reaction score
so if this is the latest update I may have to wait some time,tried updating 4 times. download 100% starts to install then get error code 0x80240031,had no problems with other updates,any thoughts or sugestions.will leave it till tomorrow and try again.gothy.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi gothyjan,

Something you could try is:
  • In your search box type Services then press Enter key
  • Scroll down to Background Intelligent Transfer Service
  • Right-click on this Service and select Start
  • Now try updating

Bif

Reaction score
Hi gothyjan,

Something you could try is:
  • In your search box type Services then press Enter key
  • Scroll down to Background Intelligent Transfer Service
  • Right-click on this Service and select Start
  • Now try updating
With trying just for s**** and giggles what you suggested here, all options aside from properties are greyed out..running as Admin.or otherwise.
Ideas as to why?

Reaction score
quick look on the net and some say a reg clean is needed.thought that they could do more damage by using them.never had to on any pc any thoughts.gothy.

Regedit32

Reaction score
The error message you are getting doesn't really suggest a Registry issue in my view.

If there was a corruption in your Registry that could upset things, but nothing immediately comes to mind.

If anything, there may be an update you require first before attempting the Anniversary update.

Have you checked your previous updates to make sure all of them installed successfully? If one has not, that may be triggering this event.

That or the server is overloaded and while you are receiving the update a stall on Server end is corrupting part of a file. That was why I thought it may be worth enabling BITS as that service works around idle servers to halt the download until the server is active again.

Reaction score
all previous updates installed ok,tried again and still the same downloads to100%then starts to install stops and error message comes up.even tried update trouble shooter still no luck,may try turning of Norton antivirusand see if that helps.gothy

Reaction score
just had a look and Norton was saying high disk usage on windows server,is that the problem.gothy.

Regedit32

Reaction score
It would be wise to disable both Norton's Smart fire-wall, and Auto-Detect modes permanently as this update is a fairly significant one and involves a major install. Once you are fully installed successfully, you can then re-enable Nortons' firewall and auto-protect modes.

Given Edge will now be getting some extensions it will be interesting to see whether Norton is able to add its protection modes to the Edge browser.

Reaction score
no luck still the same thing.may try going back to a restore point to see if that helps,but the only thing that I have down loaded in the past week is some Norton down loads .I did do a full system scan but that came back as no problems found.gothy

Reaction score
I have a laptop Samsung and a Tower Acer with the same programs installed onto. The Anniversary got well on the Laptop but I get an error on my Tower : Windows 10, version 1607 - Erreur 0x80240031

Here is the SFC /scannow log : https://mon-partage.fr/f/gcbwFyIj/

Reaction score
same issue on my tower - Feature update to Windows 10, version 1607 - Error 0x80240031 :-(
But it keeps trying :-(

Reaction score
so I am not alone,at least 2 others have the same problem as me,might just leave it for a day or two and see if its a windows 10 fault,or they just blame poor old us as is the norm.gothy

Reaction score
I got same Error 0x80240031. I just run (WindowsUpdateDiagnostic.diagcab) this troubleshooting file. And get an issue that not fixed. "Service registration is missing or corrupt", My previous version 1511 (OS build 10586.494)

Attachments

• Screenshot (10).png
    Screenshot (10).png
    280.9 KB · Views: 1,741
  • Screenshot (10).png
    Screenshot (10).png
    280.9 KB · Views: 1,477

Regedit32

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Shifat,

In you case the error screenshots hint at an issue with the Windows Update service.

You could try the following to see if things improve:
  • Right-click on Start then left-click on Run
  • In the run dialog type services.msc then click OK
  • When the Services window opens scroll down the the following three Services:
    • Background Intelligent Transfer Service
    • Cryptographic Services
    • Windows Update

On each of the above three services, double-left click to open.

A smaller window will pop up. In the middle of these windows you'll see Startup type: with a drop arrow menu to the right

In all three Services click the drop arrow and choose automatic then click OK
With any luck that may resolve your issue and allow the Windows Update Service to complete its tasks.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Ok I made it !

After the SFC /scannow , I went on trying installing Redstone from the Windows Update, from the Windows Media installation and from the Support Software installation from Microsoft. After several tries (about 8 to 10) it finally worked !

Now do not ask me why .... ;):rolleyes:

This is just the way Microsoft works .... bug bug bug and bug then suddenly it works o_O

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Shifat,

In you case the error screenshots hint at an issue with the Windows Update service.

You could try the following to see if things improve:
  • Right-click on Start then left-click on Run
  • In the run dialog type services.msc then click OK
  • When the Services window opens scroll down the the following three Services:
    • Background Intelligent Transfer Service
    • Cryptographic Services
    • Windows Update

On each of the above three services, double-left click to open.

A smaller window will pop up. In the middle of these windows you'll see Startup type: with a drop arrow menu to the right

In all three Services click the drop arrow and choose automatic then click OK
With any luck that may resolve your issue and allow the Windows Update Service to complete its tasks.

Regards,

Regedit32
Thanks.
The troubleshoot problem is solved. But the error isn't gone. It could be the problem for windows 10 Professional, Enterprise, and Education edition customers. I'm not sure.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 1,597
Reaction score
had a quick look at windows error codes and for error code 0x80240031 witch is in the windows update section, it says invalid file the file is in the wrong format,how do you find out what file and how to fix it.gothy

Reaction score
When I reregister the BITS files and the Windows Update files, some(15+) of dll files are showing not found or failed to load. It might be the problem for me to update.. What's the solution?

Attachments

• Screenshot (11).png
    Screenshot (11).png
    143.6 KB · Views: 1,285
  • Screenshot (12).png
    Screenshot (12).png
    162.3 KB · Views: 1,065

Ask a Question