HD Activity LED

Reaction score
I own a Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop. I could never understand why DELL would not install a 5 cent hard drive activity LED It has bugged me since day one. I guess this is normal procedure now with more PC's having SSD's installed.
I like to see what the HD is up to especially when downloading. I found this link from PC Mag that installs a small app that installs an indicator in the sys tray that reflects HD disk activity. :)

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2041183/add-a-hard-drive-activity-led-to-a-laptop-that-lacks-one.html

Enjoy!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The only time I ever look at the HDD indicator is the rare occasion when my PC appears to have frozen!

I seem to remember there is a small tool available that turns your scroll lock LED in to an HDD indicator, although it was about a decade ago since I remember seeing it. :eek:

Reaction score
Yes there is an app for the scroll lock too, however my scroll key doesn't have an LED LOL
I like to see disk activity when downloading or creating images. Some Windows 10 updates seem to hang at 32% forever.

Last edited:

Ask a Question