How to disable Volume Control on Desktop??

Reaction score
How to disable volume control on my desktop?? A black box with blue volume line appeared on my desktop left hand top corner and I've tried everything and can't get it to disable / unpin!
Please can someone give me some advise ..... Thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Do you have a music keyboard or music synthesizer attached to your computer?

Reaction score
Is your taskbar on top , mine is on the bottom and I have the same slide bar at the tiny speaker icon but only if I left click on it. If you right click on taskbar then click properties, then click customize, then click on turn system icons on/off you will see where to turn speaker/volume icon off.

Reaction score
Two reasons I have encountered.
1. Do you have a headset with a volume control?

If so, try and push the volume up and down a few times.
2. Try the same tactic with your keyboard sound controls.

You can also look in the Task manager - startup tab, and see if you can identify anything there 5hat could cause the problem. If so, disable it.

Reaction score
How to disable volume control on my desktop?? A black box with blue volume line appeared on my desktop left hand top corner and I've tried everything and can't get it to disable / unpin!

Do you mean this one ? Screenshot at the end.
This happens only if I press FN key and press the Volume UP or Down key.
But it will go away by itself after a few seconds.

volume bar at top left.jpg

Reaction score
Go to the volume button on your keyboard (usually at top) check that is not stuck in like when you press a key make sure it doesn't stay down wait a minute or so and the bar with disappear. I had this problem for months but it is actually simple. Hope this helped.

Reaction score
If you suspect a sticky key try this link.
http://www.keyboardtester.com/tester.html
In the OP you asked how to disable the volume icon. Open Settings > Personalization > Taskbar. At the bottom you will see a heading Notification Area click on "Turn system icons ON - OFF, turn the volume OFF.

Reaction score
I have the same problem, with this volume bar in the left top corner of my screen. Also i have a keyboard problem since this bar appared, I tried all the suggestions on this page and nothing work. I tried to lower the volume but it keep moving back to 100. I had to restart my computer 5 times to be able to write this, because i have random button not working and each time it'S a different botton. Please, has a gamer i don't know what to do, Help me :(

Reaction score
Ceccilya, have you tried to change time allowed for notifications (see attached screenshot), alternatively

Step 1: Restart File Explorer.

1. Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys to open Task manager.

2. Right click on windows explorer and select “end task”.

3. Click on “file” and select “start new task”.

4. Type explorer.exe and press enter to restart windows explorer.
Step 2: Disable ‘Always show all icon in the notification area’.

1. Right Click on Start.

2. Go to Settings.

3. Select Notifications and Action.

4. Click on ‘Select which icon appear on the Taskbar’.

5. Turn Off ‘Always show all icon in the notification area’

Attachments

• Problem 1.jpg
    Problem 1.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 2,686
Reaction score
I just wanted to share my experience. On my Windows 10 System I was getting the volume bar just like the picture posted by DavidHK129 automatically keep going all the way up to 100% and then stuck on the screen. I use Microsoft SideWinder X6 Multimedia Keyboard. So every time I rotate the volume knob on the keyboard, the on screen volume bar would operate properly (up or down) but as soon as I let the knob go, the bar would go all the way back up to 100% and stayed there. I tried many things, tweaked many settings, even uninstalled sound card driver, keyboard driver everything and then re-installed. I even did a system restored but the problem came back.

Well, last week I noticed for the first time that instead of going all the way up, it is going all the way down to 0% and volume bar staying on the screen. So I started thinking differently. Instead of "vol bar get stuck on screen" I started to think "vol bar staying activated", which raised the question, "why?" I imagined the answer would be, either the keyboard volume knob is continuing to send a up or down signal to the PC and PC is responding by raising or lowering the volume all the way up or down, and since the keyboard is continuing to send the signal, the on screen bar is remaining activated.

So the source of my problem boiled down to the keyboard, either a hardware (as in a short circuit either to the highest point of vol or lowest), or a firmware (I do not know exactly how this keyboard operates but I assumed this kind of short is possible to be created by the soft error as well as hardware). My keyboard connects to the PC via USB. I made a two-step plan.

Plan A: To disconnect it from that USB port so it can clear out any soft error with that particular port, and then to reconnect to another USB port. If that will not solve the issue, then

Plan B: To take apart the keyboard and find any hardware issue, that is causing the volume control to be shorted on either up or down point. It may be as complex as changing the variable resistor (if not something else) or may be as simple as dirt accumulation (yes, it is a old keyboard), or even be a stuck piece of paper or a broken staple from my table.

Yesterday I executed plan A. I removed the keyboard off the USB from the running system. The stuck up volume bar disappeared right away. I plugged it back in to the same USB port. After a few seconds the vol bar came back up with same symptom which is keep sliding all the way down to 0%. I took it off again. It disappeared. I plugged it back into another USB port. No problem. I played some music. I operated the keyboard volume control up and down. It operated like it should. The volume bar showed on screen while I operate, and as soon as I let it go, the bar disappeared. I raised and lowered the volume using the mouse. It operated perfectly without sliding up or down by itself. It's the second day I haven't seen that problem anymore. Now I felt like sharing my experience with everyone else out there who are having the same issue. Everyone's problem might not be the same, but it might help someone.

Cheers!

Reaction score
Same but mine is a little diffrent. Everytime I scroll with the scroller it changes the volume either up or down and I want it to go away.

Reaction score
Unfortunately for me it seems somehow something is making the volume button constantly in the up position, to a point it constantly puts my system into diagnostic on boot. Any suggestions on how to disable the volume up. I don't think it's a sticky button. I'm going to try Sharpkeys tomorrow, seems the best answer I've found online. Fingers crossed. Any suggestions otherwise. Its a Dell 5290 2 in 1 Tablet hybrid.Thanks

Ask a Question