SOLVED I cannot left click my Start Button, only a right click works and does not give you the same info.

Reaction score
I cannot left click my Start Button, only a right click works, but does not give the same results.

Reaction score
Troubleshooting suggestion only......
Run a system file check to look for corrupt files. It will try to do repair if any found.
If necessary, run a dism image health restore afterwards.

Right click at Start button > select Command Prompt (Admin) > at the flashing prompt, copy/paste this.....

sfc /scannow
> press Enter.

It will take quite sometime. When finished, it will give you one of the 3 reports : (paraphrasing )

1. No integrity violation.
2. Found corrupt files and repair successfully.
3. Found corrupt files but unable to repair.

If report is #1. Your solution lies elsewhere.
IF report is #2, go see if everything is now working ok.
If report is #3, please do the following........

Right click at Start button > select Command Prompt (Admin) > at the flashing prompt, copy/paste this.....

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

> press Enter.

Again, it will take some time. When finished it will give you a report.
If it says operation successful, go see if everything is now working ok.

Reaction score
I received #1 - No integrity violations and then ran the second command by accident and it completed successfully as well... Restarted machine and same problem with the Start Up button...

At the same time that I noticed the Startup Button problem, I also noticed that the File Manager icon had a big red X on it... Any attempt at left or right clicking this icon causes it to disappear... Right clicking it will take you to the This PC screen, icon disappears, and left clicking does nothing and causes the icon disappear...

Third problem involves the Action Center icon... Hovering over it, it tells me I have new messages, left clicking it does nothing, right clicking it gives me two prompts, Open Action Center and Turn on quiet hours... Clicking Open Action Center does nothing, but I can turn on the quiet hours...

As I'm typing this I'm thinking that I should check my mouse setting, lol... Will do and if you have any ideas or questions, you know where I'm at!!! Thank You!!!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you tried substituting another wired (USB) mouse into the equation, just to test if the issue is your pointing device?

Reaction score
This is a wireless Logitech mouse and works fine everywhere else, including here... But I will try a different, hard wired, mouse... And this mouse worked fine up to around the first of the month when I first noticed these problems...

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OK, I understand.
Just trying to troubleshoot a bit.
A problematic pointing device can cause some bizzare issues, so I'm just suggesting a place to start.
It seems especially true with Windows 10 an any number of various wireless dongles and associated devices.

Reaction score
I received #1 - No integrity violations and then ran the second command by accident and it completed successfully as well... Restarted machine and same problem with the Start Up button...

At the same time that I noticed the Startup Button problem, I also noticed that the File Manager icon had a big red X on it... Any attempt at left or right clicking this icon causes it to disappear... Right clicking it will take you to the This PC screen, icon disappears, and left clicking does nothing and causes the icon disappear...

Third problem involves the Action Center icon... Hovering over it, it tells me I have new messages, left clicking it does nothing, right clicking it gives me two prompts, Open Action Center and Turn on quiet hours... Clicking Open Action Center does nothing, but I can turn on the quiet hours...

As I'm typing this I'm thinking that I should check my mouse setting, lol... Will do and if you have any ideas or questions, you know where I'm at!!! Thank You!!!

Give this a try.................................

Right click at Start button > select Command Prompt (Admin) > type powershell > press Enter > wait a bit until you see....
PS C:\windows\system32>

At the flashing prompt, copy and paste this( please use Copy and paste to avoid typo) ............

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

> press Enter.

Ignore any error in red.

When finished, try Start button again.

Reaction score

Right click at Start button > select Command Prompt (Admin) > type powershell > press Enter > wait a bit until you see....

At the flashing prompt, copy and paste this( please use Copy and paste to avoid typo) ............

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

> press Enter.

Ignore any error in red.

> press Enter.

Ignore any error in red.

Dave, that worked!!! Start Button and Action Center icon are now working they way they did previously... File Manager icon does not show up anymore which I assume is normal, being that I suppose it only shows up when it has a red X on it... Everything seems Hunky Dory again and I thank you for that fix!!!

Reaction score
Dave, that worked!!! Start Button and Action Center icon are now working they way they did previously... File Manager icon does not show up anymore which I assume is normal, being that I suppose it only shows up when it has a red X on it... Everything seems Hunky Dory again and I thank you for that fix!!!

Btw, I didn't receive any red messages when running that command, but I did run it a few times... Thanks again, and if I need to rate you anywhere, let me know where!!!

Reaction score
File Manager icon does not show up anymore which I assume is normal

First, you are welcome.
Second, "File Manager icon does not show up anymore which I assume is normal"......
if you meant File Explorer at the taskbar, no it is not normal. It should be there by default.
You can put it back to taskbar by........
at the search bar next to Start, type file explorer > right click at File Explorer at the popup box >
click Pin to Taskbar.

Reaction score
Thanks again, and if I need to rate you anywhere, let me know where!!!

Well it is not necessary. We do not have rating system like other forums. Tha's good.
The only thing other than marking the thread as Solved which you already did is to click the blue word Like at bottom right of one of my replies. But it is not neccessary. In this forum we do not "compete" against one another which is a HUGE welcome difference.

Reaction score
I have the same problem on my Dell desktop. I tried the last suggestion and it didn't work for me.

Reaction score
I cannot left click my Start Button, only a right click works, but does not give the same results.

My sister and I had the same issue. I spent hours online looking for ways to fix it and nothing helped. My sister found a way that worked for both of us (her using pc, me using a laptop), Now, I know this isn't the best thing to do for a computer but I couldn't get to certain programs so I gave it a try, even though it sounded idiotic and like it wouldn't work. While it's logged in to a user, pull the plug and cut off power. In other words, hard crash it. If you're using a laptop, unplug it and pull the battery while it's running. Our issues were alittle different, she couldn't left click anything and certain parts of her system were glitching out. For me, I just couldn't use left click for the start menu or anything on the right of the taskbar. But this solution worked for both of us. I'm glad she told me before I backed all my data up and tried to make a new administrative account cause it saved me a ton of time and frustration. Like I said, I know hard crashing a computer/laptop isn't good for it, but it did work. Give it a try if you want, maybe it'll work for you too.

Reaction score

> press Enter.

Ignore any error in red.

hi I tried this solution as same thing happened to me, it worked but now the store doesn't work when I click on it it comes up in a blue screen then goes off, do you have any idea why?

thanks in advance

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I just tested this on the very latest Insider preview version of Windows 10 14257.1000 so I'm relatively confident that it should work on downlevel versions.
What I did, was I used this little portable application to remove the "Store" app.
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/10appsmanager-windows-10
Worked as advertised..... Store app gone.
Then I rebooted and double checked and the store app was still gone. I'm not sure that a reboot is required but for those Apps that are an integral part of Windows 10, I think it's a pretty good idea.
Anyhow, after the reboot, I clicked the start button and typed powershell, right clicked Windows PowerShell at the top of the list and chose, "Run as Administrator".
In the power shell window I typed
Code:
Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers| Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}
I recommend you copy (Ctrl +C) and paste (Ctrl +V) into the admin powershell window.
Hit enter
watch for errors. I think I got 3 total, referencing .NET framework newer version installed or something similar other than that it seemed to work fine.
Went to the All Apps menu and found the Store app and launched it and it seemed to be fine.
Rebooted to confirm and it still worked fine.

Reaction score
Always try the simplest fixes first. I'm glad I did before attempting the mind-numbing convoluted solutions people love to come up with on forums like these. Among all the responses I found on the Internet, the simplest was this: Uninstall anti-virus, restart the computer, and reinstall the anti-virus. Success.

Just so you know, I had Windows 10 on my laptop for a few months and then all of a sudden the left-click didn't work on my Start button and on other icons in the system tray. By hovering over the Start button using my mouse with one hand, and then left-clicking using the laptop touchpad with my other hand, I was able to open the Control Panel and connect to the Internet. Then, I went to PandaSecurity.com, scrolled to the bottom of their home page, and in the footer, clicked "Free Antivirus 2016," followed the links to the download, and downloaded the totally free program to my hard drive.

I then went back to the Control Panel and uninstalled the free copy of Panda Antivirus that I already had on my laptop (to which I have a large-screen monitor, keyboard, and mouse hooked up). I also made sure that no other antivirus programs were still on my machine, like my expired copy of Norton 360. When I restarted my computer, my mouse worked just fine. I hopped back on the Internet and reinstalled Panda Antivirus from my newly downloaded copy, and that was a success, too, and my mouse still worked fine. I ran the Panda program, selecting to scan only the critical areas, and in a few minutes it scanned 73,000 files, and deleted a cookie. Mouse still worked fine. To make sure, I shut down my computer. Waited a minute. Started it back up. Everything fine.

Again, always try the simplest fixes first.

Reaction score
My sister and I had the same issue. I spent hours online looking for ways to fix it and nothing helped. My sister found a way that worked for both of us (her using pc, me using a laptop), Now, I know this isn't the best thing to do for a computer but I couldn't get to certain programs so I gave it a try, even though it sounded idiotic and like it wouldn't work. While it's logged in to a user, pull the plug and cut off power. In other words, hard crash it. If you're using a laptop, unplug it and pull the battery while it's running. Our issues were alittle different, she couldn't left click anything and certain parts of her system were glitching out. For me, I just couldn't use left click for the start menu or anything on the right of the taskbar. But this solution worked for both of us. I'm glad she told me before I backed all my data up and tried to make a new administrative account cause it saved me a ton of time and frustration. Like I said, I know hard crashing a computer/laptop isn't good for it, but it did work. Give it a try if you want, maybe it'll work for you too.

Hey Trista, thanks a bunch. I had same issue: tried all the above and nothing worked. Hard crash fixed my Dell laptop (knowing I chanced doing a complete crash). left click on Start button now works. Gwizzer

Reaction score
Hey Trista, thanks a bunch. I had same issue: tried all the above and nothing worked. Hard crash fixed my Dell laptop (knowing I chanced doing a complete crash). left click on Start button now works. Gwizzer

RFM

Reaction score
How long

> press Enter.

Ignore any error in red.

------------------------------
How long does this take? I have is a greenish box saying Deployment Operation ..... and blinking hyphen below the box after about an hour. I can't tell if this working or not. I have the same issues related by other users.

Ask a Question