I get error message "invalid ms-dos function"

Reaction score
I am trying to rename some of my files but the error message "Invalid ms-dos function" appears instead. What can I do to fix this?

Reaction score
Same error with me when trying to delete picture from dekstop. It will come back after refreshing. Some advice?

Reaction score
Can any name one or so specific files that you are trying to rename?

Reaction score
Optimizing your drives helps to solve invalid ms-dos problem. Defragment and restart your pc. It can take many hours but works.

Reaction score
Can any name one or so specific files that you are trying to rename?
I have tried to rename "utilities.xls" and I get the invalid ms-dos function. Can't delete the file or move it for the same reason. Happening with Excel 2013 and Windows 10.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
right click the file and choose properties
Select the Security tab from along the top
Use the advanced button to determine who the owner of the file is as well as who has full control.
If it is not you explicitly, then fix that by adding or editing / changing accordingly.

Reaction score
Use the advanced button to determine who the owner of the file is as well as who has full control.
If it is not you explicitly, then fix that by adding or editing / changing accordingly.
Thanks for the reply, but I've already checked that and it is me - I supposedly have full control of everything about that file.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Been looking around the web for a solution and found that some people have managed to rename or delete a file while in Safe Mode.
Maybe give that a try
Hold the Shift key while clicking restart
Choose Troubleshoot
Choose Advanced options
Choose Startup Settings
Click restart
Choose (strike) #4 for plain old safe mode
Log in with your account and see if you can browse to the file and perform the action without the error?
If so then that might suggest some third party software with an explorer plugin causing the issue.
Maybe a security suite or third party antivirus / firewall product

Amy

Reaction score

This worked for me! Once in Advanced, I did need to disable inheritance for SYSTEM and then remove SYSTEM so it was only me explicitly that had permissions over the file. Even thought it said I had full control, I needed to remove SYSTEM. I have been having trouble with this for weeks. Thank you so much for your help!!

Reaction score
I am trying to rename some of my files but the error message "Invalid ms-dos function" appears instead. What can I do to fix this?
The easiest solution is to do a "Restore" back to a date prior to when you noticed the problem occurring. Go to Control Panel, click on Recovery, select Open System Restore, check box "choose a different restore point", select earliest date you think applies, then follow instructions. BE PATIENT till computer finishes restore operation. When finished create a new system restore point for future reference. Do this on the Recovery screen (refer above) click on "Configure System Restore" select Create... , name it then click Create. This will work OK provided you haven't waited too long since the problem occurred and you have an earlier recovery date listed to select as described above. Good luck.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, nibor.
The thread is quite old and solved.
But, with respect, a restore would not necessarily fix thew solution, but possibly recreate it. According to how the op has used the computer after initial install/upgrade

Ask a Question