I'm now asked for a PW when starting

Reaction score
I'm the Administrator, sole user, desktop.

PROBLEM: Until this evening I always had to press Return twice on Waking when asked for a PW (as I had set it some time ago), and never needed a PW for starting.

First off, as a tidying-up operation, I decided to simplify waking. In Sign-in options I set "If you've been away, when should Windows require you to sign in again?" to "Never", and hoped that was all that was required.

But to give effect to that change of email address, I had to access "Change your account PW". I misread that and thought it meant an account connected to my computer itself. I was hoping in the next window to be able to change the starting PW to "Never" so I entered my Microsoft Account PW, (its a long mixed character one for security purposes) thinking it was required merely for identification.

I was then faced with an out-of-date email address and I was required to use it or change it. I opted to change it and to do so I was required to enter my Microsoft Account PW again. This email address change was accepted, although at the end I was told that "I can no longer use my MS account for 30 days, but I could continue to use its PW when starting the computer." I did not have the opportunity to change my MS account, nor did I want to.

So I am stuck for 30 days with this long PW whenever starting the computer, after which I hope I will be able to change it, hopefully to no PW being required. Inconvenient, but I can live with it for that time.

However, I have just been able to sign into my MS account using the new email address and the current PW, and could see my purchases and other personal details. So no problem there.

>> Why the 30 day delay, and what effect does it actually have (bearing in mind that I can still use my MS account)?

>> After 30 days how will I be able to change my signing-in at startup to nothing? Could I do it now, and if so, how?

I'm happy to keep my present MS account PW for accessing my MS Account but don't want to have any PW for starting the computer.

Thanks.

Ask a Question