Lenovo Windows 10 Wi-Fi software problem

GWM

Reaction score
New Lenovo with Windows 10. Had problems with wi-fi since new. Wi-Fi worked fine on 8.1 laptop on same wi-fi system, but that laptop broke, so got a cheap replacement. Wi-Fi has been a nightmare since day 1. Called Lenovo who said it was a software problem and want $$ to fix it as software isn't under warranty. I thought I'd try here before giving out more cash for a faulty new machine.

They tried the "power off and hold the power button down for 15 seconds", plus a couple of other things, before they realized it was a software problem.

Can anyone shed some light on this? If Lenovo know what to do I assume they're not the only ones who know how to fix it.

Thank you.

Reaction score
You have not told us what the WiFi problem actually is!

Does the machine work ok otherwise.

GWM

Reaction score
Tim - good point!

The machine shows it's connected to the wi-fi - there is a strong signal, but the browser gives an error message saying there is no internet. Sometimes if I restart the pc it works for a little while, but not for long. It can work for several minutes, sometimes longer, but often there is no internet at all, despite it showing a connection. It's like it doesn't know that it's connected to the wi-fi.

Apart from it being a very slow machine, and giving Not Responding messages a lot, it works OK.

Reaction score
Tim - good point!

The machine shows it's connected to the wi-fi - there is a strong signal, but the browser gives an error message saying there is no internet.
If you right click on the wifi icon and then, in Network and sharing centre, left click on the 'connections' to get the connection dialog do you see data being transmitted? Does that dialog show no connection or no internet.
Over at the other side do you see the network name and it showing 'private'.

Sometimes if I restart the pc it works for a little while, but not for long. It can work for several minutes, sometimes longer, but often there is no internet at all, despite it showing a connection. It's like it doesn't know that it's connected to the wi-fi.

Check the 'change adapter settings' and make sure that the 'Allow computer to turn off the adapter to save power' is NOT ticked.

Last edited by a moderator:

GWM

Reaction score
It shows it is sending and receiving. It shows it has been connected for nearly 24 hours although the machine has been asleep nearly all the time up until 10 minutes ago. I reconnected to the wi-fi when I got home from work just now.
It shows Public on the other side.
I closed the Networks and Sharing center and tried to open it again but it won't open. I already did what you suggested to uncheck the Alllow computer to turn off etc. but that didn't help.
I followed someone else's advice and went into the the command prompt and added a few lines, but that didn't help either.
Excuse the long delay in replying but I work outside where there is no internet connected.
I appreciate your help with this.

Reaction score
Assuming you are at home behind a router. Change the network type to Private in Network settings.

Just to be sure go to a command prompt and do ipconfig /all and check that you have a real ip address not the 169.254... address and that you have a gateway and dns addresses. Do this when it it appears to be connected and shows no internet and when it is working.

GWM

Reaction score
I'm staying in a hotel. Should I go ahead and change the settings anyway?

Ask a Question