Microsoft Solitaire not working. Need Help

Reaction score
I've had my fair share of issues with Windows 10 and now I have another and need some help.

I was exploring Windows 10 tonight for the first time and noticed that in my Application list off the Start Menu it shows that I have Microsoft Solitaire Collection installed and I thought I would give it a try. When I launch the app it displays a splash screen for the app momentarily then the window closes. I have checked task manager and I don't see the app running so there must be some issue with the way the program is installed so I thought perhaps the best thing to do is to remove it and then reinstall it. I went into Control Panel and checked the Installed applications and could not find an entry for it in the list. I went out to the Store and I can find the app and it tells me that it's currently installed but doesn't seem to provide a means to remove the app or reinstall it. Can anyone tell me how to fix the app or remove it from Windows 10 so I can reinstall it?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
To fix it you might try
Opening the Store App and the in the top right click on your account and then downloads and then the Check For Updates button and see if that produces any updates.

To remove it, you should be able to right click it in the All Apps menu and select "uninstall".

Reaction score
No good on either account. Nothing in the store regarding an update on that app and since the app was built-in there's no uninstall option when you right click on the app in the start menui

Reaction score
The App isn't built in. Your present icon may be a hangover from the previous OS. As trouble says, you probably need to reinstall it from the store.
fwiw. I have it running 100 %.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Uninstall.png

The option is available to me.

Reaction score
Apparently, I have yet another problem with Windows 10. After I received your replies I noticed that on my laptop I have the options to uninstall apps from the Start Menu as you've shown above. On my desktop the only option I have when I right click an app in the Start Menu is "Pin to Start" Does anyone know how to fix this?

Reaction score
If you go to search and type it in does it give you the uninstall option? Once it comes up right click to see options.

Reaction score
Try this. In the Start, click "Settings - System - Aps and features.
It will take a few seconds to unravel. Then, scroll down to Microsoft solitaire collection and left click. It may give you the option to uninstall.

If this fails, the next step may be to actually get it working.
Right click the Start orb.
Type wsreset /n in the Run window, and then click OK.
Now. This does not make sense, but in most cases I have experienced, it gets the program working again. It apparently needs some further files, so:

Go here

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.en_GB.html

and download and install the VLC player for windows.

Now see if you can update/reinstall/ or play, Klondike or another card game in the collection.

Reaction score
This is a final update to this thread by me. I believe that my system has never been stable since I upgraded to Windows 10 and this problem and others keep cropping up. Bottom line is that I'm of the opinion that the best course of action to take, because of this instability, is to backup everything with Acronis True Image, nuke HD, Reinstall Windows 10 and redeploy all of my apps and my data.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
the best course of action to take, because of this instability, is to backup everything with Acronis True Image, nuke HD, Reinstall Windows 10 and redeploy all of my apps and my data.
Although perhaps not optimal, I can certainly support such an action.
Hopefully starting with a custom clean install (although not a guarantee) will provide relief from those problems.
AND
With a full disk image, using Acronis, you would at least be able to get back to where you are now, if necessary.

Reaction score
If Windows Store or metro apps, e.g. Solitaire, don't load try this:
Rename Cache folder to Cache.old within Users\{Username}\AppData\Local\Packages\WinStore_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState
Create a replacement (new, empty) Cache folder inside LocalState;
Restart Windows.
If all OK delete Cache.old.
Worked for me

Reaction score
Playing Klondike on Microsoft 10 is virtually impossible. The cards refuse to move no matter how many times you try. Simple Solitaire is more reliable, but that can be erratic as well. It makes you wonder about anything to do with Microsoft, doesn't it? A billion dollar computer company, which has almost a monopoly in some fields, can't make two simple card games - which little children could play (if they actually worked) - run efficiently.

Reaction score
I must say that is incorrect. MS solitaire collection works just fine. You will find another thread in the forum on the subject.

Reaction score
I must say that I am not incorrect. It certainly doesn't work on my brand new HP Envy laptop.
CRT-alt-delete Check task manager and see what is taking up memory. Sounds like low memory or PC hard drive is max out. Didn't notice how much ram was installed or cpu. Most games no matter how simple take up memory and use CPU. If you look you can see which apps are running and close them as this will give you more free cpu usage as well as memory.
Screenshot (1).png

Reaction score
I operate two networks - one at home, one at my office. I have upgraded to Win 10 on all my machines except one [a separate issue - win 10 just won't install]. On one laptop, and now on this desktop, Spider Solitaire initially worked well, but now refuses to load. It hangs at various points - the splash screen, seeking past scores, etc.
I don't consider the problem related to my computers - i think its a MS failure, just as previous writers have indicated. why do I blame MS? because of multiple glitches and inconveniences caused by Win 10. Indeed, I'm grateful that one of my machines won't install win 10, and remains trusty [ if no longer updated] on Win 7

Reaction score
Try this. In the Start, click "Settings - System - Aps and features.
It will take a few seconds to unravel. Then, scroll down to Microsoft solitaire collection and left click. It may give you the option to uninstall.

If this fails, the next step may be to actually get it working.
Right click the Start orb.
Type wsreset /n in the Run window, and then click OK.
Now. This does not make sense, but in most cases I have experienced, it gets the program working again. It apparently needs some further files, so:

Go here

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.en_GB.html

and download and install the VLC player for windows.

Now see if you can update/reinstall/ or play, Klondike or another card game in the collection.
I tried your suggestions and nothing happened. I'm having the same problems with MS solitaire collection. Was working fine and now nothing happens when I open it. I'll try your suggestions again, but do you any other suggestions?

Reaction score
All my Windows games (Solitaire, Mahjong, Soduko, etc.) will not launch - this suddenly happened after lunch today. It must be a Windows issue - is there a solution to this? I am running Windows 10.

Reaction score
I am out of ideas. It seems, from a browse, that there are users who have the problems, others who are perfectly happy with the games.
One last chance, try running the attached repair program. For the purpose of attaching it, I needed to change the extension. delete this ext and replace it with diagcab. (The correct name is apps.diagcab) This is a legit MS file, you need have no apprehensions.

Attachments

• apps.txt
    524.3 KB · Views: 2,070

Ask a Question