SOLVED Missing user account/ profile at login

Reaction score
I just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 using the free upgrade. Initially during the upgrade and configuration, I was using my account or profile. However, didn't see my wife's account at login. After install and setup was complete, I was updating a few programs out of date due to the upgrade, restarted, and at login only my wife's account was present. No option for me to login. I looked in the Settings/Accounts/Family & Other users and there isn't anyone else listed except her. I still have a file under users on the C drive but not sure how to fix this without having to create a new account. There is also a profile for my account under System Properties/ User Profiles. During initial setup when I was logged in, my desktop setting were exactly how they were with Win 7. So, no clue as to why my login profile is no longer available for login or user switching. Thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
What about here
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\User Accounts\Manage Accounts
Manage another account.
Any sign of your profile there?

Reaction score
Nope. There are two user profiles for Windows in System Properties but only one account present under user accounts.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Pro contains an MMC (Microsoft Management Console) that the Home version does not.
Right click the Start Button and choose Run
type
lusrmgr.msc
double click users
do you see your account there?

Reaction score
It is listed and is a member of the administrators group. I also added it to the User group as well see that is another group that the second account is a member of. Adding it to the group didn't change anything though.

Reaction score
Still trying solve this. Is it possible to create a local account and then import or copy/paste my missing profile into the new account? I did create a new user account but it isn't listed in the Users folder on my C Drive like it was under previous Window versions. It does show my wife's account and my old account from Win 7 but as stated above it's not an option on the login splash screen.

Reaction score
Correct. I stated that was an option I was trying but the new account doesn't exist in the User folder on my C Drive even though I can login with it. Therefore, I can't copy and paste from my old profile.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
but as stated above it's not an option on the login splash screen.
You created a new user account and it is not an option on the login screen down on the bottom left?
This seems to be getting more strange by the minute.

The new profile folder will not be created inside of C:\Users until you are able to log on as that new user.

I'm as confused as you are. I've never experienced anything like you are describing.

Reaction score
The newly created account is listed and available on the splash screen where my old account isn't. New account is also listed in the Users folder. I was able to copy from my old account to new and have my original profile back. However, something had to happen during the copy and paste. I can no longer left click on the Windows button. I receive a listing from right clicking but nothing from the Windows button or the Search the web and Windows with left click. This is only with the new account. So, something in the profile copying screwed up these abilities. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Solved the problem with a work around. Only thing I ended up losing was my user account name. I ended up having to create a new account and then copying my previous user account data minus anything related to Windows to the new account. Everything worked out then. A pain but results worked out.

Reaction score
It is listed and is a member of the administrators group. I also added it to the User group as well see that is another group that the second account is a member of. Adding it to the group didn't change anything though.

After running lusrmgr.msc, right click the user you want to use and click "properties" (administrator privileges required for this) and then uncheck "Account is disabled". You should then see this user on the lock screen when you reboot or change users.

Reaction score
I just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 using the free upgrade. Initially during the upgrade and configuration, I was using my account or profile. However, didn't see my wife's account at login. After install and setup was complete, I was updating a few programs out of date due to the upgrade, restarted, and at login only my wife's account was present. No option for me to login. I looked in the Settings/Accounts/Family & Other users and there isn't anyone else listed except her. I still have a file under users on the C drive but not sure how to fix this without having to create a new account. There is also a profile for my account under System Properties/ User Profiles. During initial setup when I was logged in, my desktop setting were exactly how they were with Win 7. So, no clue as to why my login profile is no longer available for login or user switching. Thanks

I had the same problem.

Create a new password or change the password on the account that Windows 10 restarted on?

My computer had 2 User Accounts; 1 admin and 1 standard. After installing Windows 10, the computer restarted into the Standard User Account. The Standard account had no password. I don't know if this is why the system restarted using it and didn't show a login or start screen with the 2 previously existing accounts but it did?

Nonetheless, When I used Computer Management like described in other replies, I could see the Admin Account I was looking for - the account I was worried was missing along with all of my files.

The account was there but didn't show up on a restart to allow login.

What 'Solved' the problem for me was adding a password to the Standard User account which Windows 10 had opened after its installation and restarting the machine.

After the restart, the Windows 10 Start PAge appeared and I was allowed to log in to the formerly missing Admin Acct. The Win 10 installation routine went back showing Welcome to Windows 10 messages on the display and the system seemed to load all of the User Info for the account.

No problems since then.

BTW my Windows 10 install stopped at 99%, too like others. I removed a USB ReadyBoost Drive and USB eLicenseController fob.Windows 10 installation resumed.

Peace

MCP, MCTS, CompTIA SecurityPlus

Ask a Question