SOLVED MS Edge

Reaction score
After successfully installing Win 10 it ran without any issues for about 1 day then Edge refused to launch, the splash screen opens for about 10 seconds and then disappears. The only change made to Edge was to import bookmarks from IE.
Unsure where to start looking for an answer.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

I have run SFC/scannow and it reported several issues it couldn't fix. I attempted to upload the CBS log file but its too big and the forum file size limits block uploading.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You may be able to zip the CBS log and see if that works?

Does Event Viewer show anything happening in the Application log around the time that Edge closes?

Reaction score
Here is the latest event log for this issue:

First Report

Faulting application name: MicrosoftEdge.exe, version: 11.0.10240.16397, time stamp: 0x55af15c9
Faulting module name: eModel.dll, version: 11.0.10240.16397, time stamp: 0x55af11c4
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x0000000000112cb3
Faulting process ID: 0x2070
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0d1fc46e193bc
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\eModel.dll
Report ID: cb4f85c2-36a8-46ed-beed-bacf9a569df1
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_20.10240.16384.0_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: MicrosoftEdge

Second report

Activation of application Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe!MicrosoftEdge failed with error: The remote procedure call failed. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Edit: Future readers, please hold off running the steps below as there may be knock-on consequences!

Thanks Mike, can you try the following steps please:
  1. Press Windows Key + X and select the Command Prompt (admin), clicking "Yes" when the UAC window pops.
  2. Type in Powershell and press enter.
  3. Paste this into the PS window & press enter:

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
  4. Let it complete, it'll show PS C:\Users\yourusername> when completed.
  5. Reboot & try Edge again.
If that fails, can you fire up "services" and see if "Windows Firewall" is running?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your help and support Ian, Edge is now up and running, your last tip did the trick.

Many thanks,
Mike

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Excellent, I'm really pleased that fixed it - thanks for reporting back :).

Reaction score
Thanks Mike, can you try the following steps please:
  1. Press Windows Key + X and select the Command Prompt (admin), clicking "Yes" when the UAC window pops.
  2. Type in Powershell and press enter.
  3. Paste this into the PS window & press enter:

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
  4. Let it complete, it'll show PS C:\Users\yourusername> when completed.
  5. Reboot & try Edge again.
If that fails, can you fire up "services" and see if "Windows Firewall" is running?

Aaaaargh! I tried your solution pasting into Powershell and Edge is no longer freezing! However now all my apps will not open!!! (music; maps; photos; money; news etc!!) Instead of the normal name on the icon Photos for example starts with @{Microsoft.Windows.Photos_ followed by a whole lot of numbers!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Keith, I've had a search and can see that some other users have had this problem too, so I've added a caution note to the steps above until we can get this figured out.

For now, I'd run a system restore to roll back your PC to before these commands were run (steps below). I'll search for a solution in the meantime.

This option takes your PC back to an earlier point in time, called a system restore point. Restore points are generated when you install a new app, driver or Windows update, and when you create a restore point manually. Restoring won’t affect your personal files, but it will remove apps, drivers and updates installed after the restore point was made.
  1. Right-click (or press and hold) the Start button, then select Control Panel.

2. Search Control Panel for Recovery.

3. Select Recovery > Open System Restore > Next.

4. Choose the restore point related to the problematic app, driver or update, then select Next > Finish.

Source: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If the system restore doesn't work (or isn't enabled), then it may be possible to uninstall the photos app completely (Admin PS > get-appxpackage *Microsoft.Windows.Photos* | remove-appxpackage), however I think this is only worth trying as a last resort. Once it's uninstalled, it can be clean installed from the app store. If it works with photos, we can then try the code for the other apps.

I'd only use this step as a last resort though.

Reaction score
If the system restore doesn't work (or isn't enabled), then it may be possible to uninstall the photos app completely (Admin PS > get-appxpackage *Microsoft.Windows.Photos* | remove-appxpackage), however I think this is only worth trying as a last resort. Once it's uninstalled, it can be clean installed from the app store. If it works with photos, we can then try the code for the other apps.

I'd only use this step as a last resort though.

Reaction score
Thanks Ian. I already have a reset under way. I noted that in my all Apps section there was a whole list under Other - all starting with @{Microsoft. None of which opened. And most actual Apps in normal place were dead - no response to clicking. So I am resetting and will download all apps again! Sigh!

Wish I knew why Edge started freezing!

Ask a Question