MS Office Warning "Some files can contain viruses or otherwise be harmful....."

Reaction score
In PowerPoint Presentations I created with links to videos in the same folder as the .pptx I get the MS Office Warning "Some files can contain viruses or otherwise be harmful to your computer. It is important to be certain that this file is from a trustworthy source. Would you like to open this file? {OK} {Cancel}"

How do I prevent this warning from popping up each time I hit one of the links?
I created both the presentations & videos and are known to be safe.

I appreciate any help in resolving this issue.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Buzzm,

Welcome to the Forum.

The hyperlink security warnings for applications such as Microsoft Office are controlled from within the Registry.

To give you the correct advice for your situation could you first please let us know which version of Microsoft Office you have installed, e.g. 2007, 2010, 2013, etcetera ...

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response - I'm running MS Office Professional Plus 2013.

Reaction score
It is a macro alert. Long time since I used 2003, but the option to lower the security is in the trust centre.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Buzzm,

Thank you for confirming your version.

Before going to the Registry check davehc and Trouble's posts, both of which may save you some manual Registry modifications. If neither of their suggestions lead to a resolution for you let us know and I'll point you to the Registry keys and what changes are needed there to resolve the alerts once and for all.

Ask a Question