SOLVED ms-setting:display and ms-personalization-background problem

Reaction score
Hi

When I right click on my desktop of my new installation of Window 10 and I select Personalize or Display setting in popup menu I have an error message who say : This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or...

See file attached.

Thanks in advance for your help

Pierre

Attachments

• ms-settings.jpg
    ms-settings.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 16,821
Reaction score
Hi, I upgraded a W7ent machine to W10 enterprise.
I found the same problem, the Display setting won't work, and also the Personalization don't work.
If I need to change something I must go to the old Control Panel and from there is possible to get sone settings.

Someone know the solution??

daniele

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem after upgrading from 8.1 - my main account works absolutely fine but I have tried to add my wife's microsoft account and I get those errors and also cannot click the start menu or search button. Also cannot verify the account - almost as if the second user hasn't been set up fully??

Reaction score
I also have this problem, when I try to load settings from start menu, the screen flashes but nothing happens, also when I right on click on screen with mouse and click personization, nothing happen saying it needs to associate with a program, when I try this by going to control panel and click default credentials I cant find the program. I upgraded from 7 SP1 onto my Packard Bell desktop with AMD Athlon 2. Appreciate some help.

Reaction score
Hey guys. Did anyone find the solution of it ? Recently upgraded from windows 8.1 and faced the same issues such as can't access setting as it flashes and disappears once I click on it, can't open Personalize as well :( What could be the reason of it ?

Reaction score
Hey guys. Did anyone find the solution of it ? Recently upgraded from windows 8.1 and faced the same issues such as can't access setting as it flashes and disappears once I click on it, can't open Personalize as well :( What could be the reason of it ?

I wait like you a solution from Microsoft...

They have some Microsoft staff read this forum sometime??

Reaction score
Hi quaiserajaz, I have tried your suggestion and download http://aka.ms/diag_settings and it seems to have solved my problem of not being able to access the settings and personalize either in the start menu and right click on desktop, many thanks for your assistance.

Reaction score
Downloaded and ran the trouble shooter, it comes back and says it can find any problem, but I still get the error message "ms-settings:display". Any more suggestions on how to remedy this? How do you connect the shortcut back to the drop down menu when you right click on the desktop? The solution is reassociating the program to the display name. How do you do that?

Reaction score
Turned on another machine that was upgraded to Windows10. It's been working perfectly since the upgrade. Guess what, get the same error when right clicking on the desktop to get to the display shortcut (ms-settings:display). All I did was turn the machine on. No upgrades, do browsing, nothing. There's definitely a problem with the upgrade to Windows 10. Microsoft needs to look into these problems and get them corrected.

Reaction score
It works! Just upgraded from 8 to 10 and had exact problems. Ran the trouble shooter and 3 minutes later I could get to the settings. Didn't even have to reboot.

Reaction score
It works! Just upgraded from 8 to 10 and had exact problems. Ran the trouble shooter and 3 minutes later I could get to the settings. Didn't even have to reboot.

Downloaded and ran the troubleshooter again and get the message, "troubleshooter cannot identify the problem". Waited 10 minutes before posting this reply. Still have the problem. Any other suggestions?

Reaction score
Downloaded and ran the troubleshooter again and get the message, "troubleshooter cannot identify the problem". Waited 10 minutes before posting this reply. Still have the problem. Any other suggestions?

Same here. Does anyone know how to fix it?

Reaction score
I am run the troubleshoot but still the problem exists that I can't open windows setting, windows update settings and desktop personalization. Any solution???

Ask a Question