My cat locked the keyboard - how to unlock it ?

Reaction score
So, here is my problem: I have a desktop computer and a laptop. I recently upgraded my desktop to Windows 10. I did some work last night on the desktop computer logged in as administrator. Well, it got late, my brain turned into cotton balls, I went to sleep. I forgot to log myself out. Big mistake.

Come today, I wake up in the morning and wanted to do some work on my laptop that runs Windows 8. However, the keyboard seemed to be malfunctioning. I was able to log on to Windows, but once inside, the keyboard was dead. I didn’t think much of it, there was the update warning in the corner bugging me for the past two days, so I ran it thinking it will fix the problem. It didn’t. I upgraded the laptop from Windows 8 to Windows 10, and sure enough, once inside of Windows 10, the keyboard remained locked.

So I switched to my desktop computer (wanted to google keyboard shortcut to unlock). Three things became painfully obvious: logged in as administrator, both computers are synchronized, BOTH keyboards are locked and I have a very naughty cat who was walking on the keyboard last night. I could tell by the gibberish she left me on my open Word document.

Long story short, my cat played administrator and locked the keyboards on ALL MY SYNCHRONIZED COMPUTERS. So here is the big question: how do I unlock the keyboard(s) in Windows 10?

I’m typing on virtual keyboards right now and it’s a giant pain in the wrist.

Reaction score
I want to add that ctrl+alt+L doesn't work, neither does win+L.

The mouse is working, too, as well as some of the function keys.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Right click the start button and choose system
Left column choose System Protection
Click the System Restore button
Click Next
You may have to check the box that says "Show more restore points"
Restore to a point in time prior to the problem.

Reaction score
Open the access panel to the password reset jumper if your laptop has one. Consult your manual for the access panel's location. Some access panels have a tab you slide, while others are held in place with a screw.

Pry the plastic cover off the reset jumper with your fingernail. The reset jumper is a small pin port labeled "PSWD" with three pins. Put the plastic back onto the jumper over pin 1 and 2 instead of 2 and 3. Wait 90 seconds.
Pry the plastic off the reset jumper again and place it back onto the number 2 and 3 pins. Turn the laptop on. Repeat step 2 if the password is still present. Leave the plastic clip on pins 1 and 2 for a longer duration than last time.

Ask a Question