SOLVED Net Use

Reaction score
How can I get Windows 10 to use a network printer like Xp with the line net use lpt1: \\ server01 \ Konica / persistent: yes

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Are you having some specific issues? As far as I know the net use command line has not be deprecated in Windows 10 and looks to be the same as far as I can tell.

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
I seem to be having a problem with NET USE command through W10

I recently upgraded one XP Machine to W10. All my other machines are already W10.
I use critical DOS programs which drives the printer to be used.

On one machine (B2) I have a Oki 520 hooked up to the serial port. There are no windows drivers installed for this printer because the DOS program drives the printer on LPT1. It prints just fine when printing directly to the Oki.

On another machine (B1) I have a HP 2200 hooked up to the serial port. There is a windows driver installed on that machine for other printing and all my DOS program reports print fine directly to the HP.

I have always used the NET USE LPT command to connect B2 to B1 to use the HP printer (XP to W7/W10)
NET USE LPT2//B1/HP2200 /PERSISTENT:YES

The command shows a successful connection and when I check through net use command.

However when I try and print through my DOS program on B2 to the B1 HP printer I get the Retry/Fail/Abort message?

I have tried everything and nothing seems to work?
I am at a total loss. I really need to have these computers talk and print to each other.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi mwhite,

Welcome to the forum.

The computer that has this printer you are using the net use command for. Have you set up a user with password account there? If not, give that a go. This account does not need to be logged on per se, it just needs to exist.

Then from the other computer use an elevated command prompt with your command + one extra flag:
  • NET USE LPT2//B1/HP2200 /PERSISTENT:YES /USER:NewUserAccountName NewUserAccountPassword

For example:

NET USE LPT2//B1/HP2200 /PERSISTENT:YES /USER:mwhite ********* (the password)

Reaction score
okay
I just did that. The command line is as follows:
net use lpt2 \\billing1\hp2200 /persistent:yes /user:billing1 ****

I then get a 1219 error?
I have no other computer logged on to the billing1 printer?

I tried the cmd as administrator then I got a 66 error?

I then tried the command line:
net use lpt2: \\billing1\hp2200 /user:billing1 ****

same errors?

thoughts?

malcolm

Last edited:
Reaction score
okay
I just did that. The command line is as follows:
net use lpt2 //billing1/hp2200 /persistent:yes /user:billing1 ****

I then get a 1219 error?
I have no other computer logged on to the billing1 printer?

I tried the cmd as administrator then I got a 66 error?

I then tried the command line:
net use lpt2: //billing1/hp2200 /user:billing1 ****

same errors?

thoughts?

malcolm

However I do have 4 other computers logged into billing1 through our windows network. But we have always done that?

Regedit32

Reaction score
The 1219 error implies multiple users are mapped to the network sharing that printer.

If you enter net use then hit Enter you ought to see a list of users. You can then
Code:
net use /delete *
to remove Users then start over with your password enabled user.

Or manually disconnect the additional users leaving only the password enabled one.

The 66 error implies an incorrect network resource which can occur with a simple typing error of the machine name, or some other parameter in your command.

Reaction score
The 1219 error implies multiple users are mapped to the network sharing that printer.

If you enter net use then hit Enter you ought to see a list of users. You can then
Code:
net use /delete *
to remove Users then start over with your password enabled user.

Or manually disconnect the additional users leaving only the password enabled one.

The 66 error implies an incorrect network resource which can occur with a simple typing error of the machine name, or some other parameter in your command.

There are no other users logged into that printer on that machine (billing1).
I have checked all the other machines with net use to make sure nothing is logged into that printer.
The other machines are only logged into C drive on billing1 not the printer.
Although the billing1 printer is shared as HP2200 over the network. So the other machines can add that oprinter via W10 if need be but none are currently.

Reaction score
Got it to work:
I used the command:
net use lpt2 \\Billing1\HP2200 /user: Billing1 ****

My main problem was I reloaded the HP printer on billing1 and forgot to share it.
Then I typed in exactly the computer name (i.e. Billing1) that showed on the network.

I also logged in all the disconnected computers one by one and it seems to be still working.

I'm sure it had to do with spelling as well as not sharing.

Thanks for the help.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Ahh good news :)

If all is well now don't forget to mark your post as solved.

Yes the UserID and password are case sensitive so if you did not use the exact same case then that'd explain the 66 error.

Reaction score
I was wondering if was case sensitive.
I would mark as solved but I don't see how to do that???
Thank you

Ask a Question