Network Permissions

Reaction score
I have three networked computers called Desktop, Purple & Silver. My problem is that out of 63 files on these computers, I am being denied access to 6 of them when I try to access the Desktop computer from my Purple PC. The message I get is "I do not have permission". These same 6 files are accessed successfully from Desktop to Purple and Desktop to Silver as well as both ways between the Purple and Silver. I have examined them as best I can to find out what is different with these 6 files to no avail. Can anyone help me gain access to these files? I am the administrator (and only user)of all three computers. However, I don't have much experience with permissions as they were set up for me by a computer tech.

Thanks to anyone who thinks they can help me with this situation.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Are all the computers, Windows 10 computers?
Are these "files" as you state or are they folders.
In either case right click one and choose properties
IF it's a folder look at the permissions under the sharing tab and make sure that the group "Everyone" has full control.
Now check the security tab make sure that the user account and password you are using on the "Purple PC" is present with the appropriate permissions.
IF it's just a file it won't have a permissions tab.

Are you being prompted for a user name and password when you attempt to access these items?

Reaction score
Thank you for your input. Yes, all computers are running Windows 10 and all files are actually FOLDERS. When I click on properties there is no SHARING tab just general, security, previous version and customize so I chose SECURITY and unlike all my other folders there is no dialog box showing Groups and Users or permissions . What i see is a dialog that states "You must have READ permission to view the properties of this object." Then it says CHECK ADVANCED. When I check advanced I get a message saying:
1. Name \\PATSDESKTOP\ottiliegirl\desktop choices vertical
2. Owner " Unable to display current owner" (after which is the word Change) but I cannot change anything.

3. (i with dot over it in circle) " You do not have permission to view or edit this objects permission settings."

I am not being prompted for a user name or password. My three computers are not password protected.
I don't know if this makes any difference by all 6 Folders were created or modified on Aug 12th or 14th of this year.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You need to be inspecting the permission (sharing tab) and NTFS Security Permissions (Security Tab) on the physical machine that the sharing is actually being done from.
Not from the client machine that is attempting to access the shares.
IF the folders are located on an NTFS volume they should have both a Sharing Tab as well as a Security Tab.

Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure what I did but I can now access those 6 folders over the network on all computers. I don't know what NTFS means but when I click on properties from each computer I find 5 tabs on each one including SHARING. I made sure EVERYONE was included and given full control. When I click properties over the network to the other computers only 4 tabs show up. There is no SHARING. Is that how it is supposed to be? Something new has happened. I now have 3 of those folders showing up with a share bar under them on the startup screen along with "C", "Users" and "ottiliegirl". No other folders show up there. I must have done something wrong. Is that a problem or can it just be left that way? Thanks again.

Ask a Question