Office 2003 up date KB907417 failures

KK2

Reaction score
29 failed download attempts in the last 30 days. 8 failed attempts in one day (4/9). No further attempts since then. I manually downloaded the upgrade from Cnet, but that didn't stop automatic attempts so finally disabled auto download.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi KK2,

You'd be wiser to download the standalone installer of this update from Microsoft directly:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=10624

Having done that you should follow their installation instructions:

Note: Administrators should refer to the Administrator resources section.

Installation instructions
If you have Microsoft Office 2003, do one of the following:

• Use Microsoft Update (recommended). Microsoft Update consolidates updates provided by Windows Update and Office Update into one location and enables you to choose automatic delivery and installation of high-priority updates.

• Use Office Update on the Office Online Web site. Office Update automatically detects Office and prompts you to install updates and service packs that bring Office programs up-to-date.

• Install Update for Office 2003 (KB907417). To do this, follow these steps:
    1. Download the .exe file by clicking on the Download button at the top of the page, and then save the file to your hard disk drive.
      • office2003-kb907417-fullfile-enu.exe: You might need to provide the installation source during patch installation if you have previously updated your product.
    2. It is recommended that you quit any programs you are running.
    3. In Windows Explorer, double-click the .exe file that you saved to your hard disk drive, and follow the instructions on the screen.

Administrator resources
Administrators working in managed environments can find complete resources for deploying Office updates in an organization on the Office Admin Update Center. On that site, scroll down and look under the Update Resources section for the product version you are updating.

The download for this update is available by clicking on the Download button at the top of the page. You can double-click the executable package to begin installation, or extract the patch files (MSP files) by using a command line. The command line and instructions are included in the Knowledge Base article (197147): Command-Line Switches For IExpress Software Update Packages.

See the Microsoft Knowledge Base article Description of the Update for Office 2003 (KB907417) for further information about this update.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
I have the same problem. I also have office 365 and I am considering deleting office 2003. Is that a bad move?

Reaction score
For months I have had failed automatic updates of (KB907417). When I try to manually update I am told that the update is already installed. Any clues on how to rectify this problem or is too hard for Microsoft.

Reaction score
I downloaded the standalone installer as described above by Regedit32.
When I ran it, it prompted for a .cab file which is on your installation disc.
I inserted the disk and the update finally succeeded.

Reaction score
I FOLLOW your steps but there is a little Problem "I DON'T HAVE THE ORIGINAL CD" any solution for that?

Hi KK2,

You'd be wiser to download the standalone installer of this update from Microsoft directly:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=10624

Having done that you should follow their installation instructions:

Note: Administrators should refer to the Administrator resources section.

Installation instructions
If you have Microsoft Office 2003, do one of the following:

• Use Microsoft Update (recommended). Microsoft Update consolidates updates provided by Windows Update and Office Update into one location and enables you to choose automatic delivery and installation of high-priority updates.

• Use Office Update on the Office Online Web site. Office Update automatically detects Office and prompts you to install updates and service packs that bring Office programs up-to-date.

• Install Update for Office 2003 (KB907417). To do this, follow these steps:
    1. Download the .exe file by clicking on the Download button at the top of the page, and then save the file to your hard disk drive.
      • office2003-kb907417-fullfile-enu.exe: You might need to provide the installation source during patch installation if you have previously updated your product.
    2. It is recommended that you quit any programs you are running.
    3. In Windows Explorer, double-click the .exe file that you saved to your hard disk drive, and follow the instructions on the screen.

Administrator resources
Administrators working in managed environments can find complete resources for deploying Office updates in an organization on the Office Admin Update Center. On that site, scroll down and look under the Update Resources section for the product version you are updating.

The download for this update is available by clicking on the Download button at the top of the page. You can double-click the executable package to begin installation, or extract the patch files (MSP files) by using a command line. The command line and instructions are included in the Knowledge Base article (197147): Command-Line Switches For IExpress Software Update Packages.

See the Microsoft Knowledge Base article Description of the Update for Office 2003 (KB907417) for further information about this update.

Regards,

Regedit32

Ask a Question