Outlook 2013- No incoming email sound

Reaction score
I've double-checked the Outlook Options setting for playing a sound when an email is received, and the box is checked. I've also tested sound on my system, and it is working properly. However, Outlook no longer plays a sound when email is received. I've also tested the "New Mail Notification" setting in Win 10 "Sound", and it works properly with the Windows default "Windows Notify Email.wav" file selected.

I don't know why an incoming email makes no sound.

Reaction score
I've double-checked the Outlook Options setting for playing a sound when an email is received, and the box is checked. I've also tested sound on my system, and it is working properly. However, Outlook no longer plays a sound when email is received. I've also tested the "New Mail Notification" setting in Win 10 "Sound", and it works properly with the Windows default "Windows Notify Email.wav" file selected.

I don't know why an incoming email makes no sound.

Reaction score
I have the same problem with Windows Live Mail. I am not happy with this new "search the web an windows" tile which sends me back to the web and is not for Windows 10. What good is it?
How can I get rid of it?

Reaction score
I just checked my laptop, and no sound is coming from it either after an email is received, so I know it's not the computers.

Reaction score
I originally posted this in the software forum, but I believe the Support forum is a better place for this question:

I don't know why an incoming email stopped making sound after upgrading to WIN 10 (64-bit Pro). I checked my laptop, and it has the same problem, so I know it's not one specific computer.

Reaction score
I've had the same problem but might have found a possible solution ... click start then settings and then System, which includes notifications, ... scroll down ... I have an Outlook button .. make sure it is on. Also I clicked on "outlook" and found 3 more buttons that I have clicked on. I now get a small banner and a sound when an email comes in ... at least I do most of the time! Try it and see.

Reaction score
I've had the same problem but might have found a possible solution ... click start then settings and then System, which includes notifications, ... scroll down ... I have an Outlook button .. make sure it is on. Also I clicked on "outlook" and found 3 more buttons that I have clicked on. I now get a small banner and a sound when an email comes in ... at least I do most of the time! Try it and see.
Thanks, but "Notifications" and "Play a sound..." was already turned on. "Show notification banners" was not on, so I turned that on. I appreciate the suggestion! I hadn't looked there before.

Reaction score
Something strange just happened. I have three email accounts tied to Outlook--one Pop3 and two IMAP accounts. the bottom account on the list (an IMAP) just had an incoming email that set off the notification sound and banner. This is the first time an email came in that account. The other two accounts have had emails coming in all day, and neither account sets off the notification banner or sound. In Win 8.1, any of the three accounts would trigger the notification banner and sound.

Reaction score
After the cumulative update, the notification sound started working for all accounts. However, I do not get the notification banner on any account. It used to be nice to see the banner and know if I had to stop what I was doing to read the email or leave it for later.

Reaction score
I too am having this same problem since upgrading to Windows 10. The box is ticked to play a sound. I have tried unchecking it and re-checking it but still no sound is played when new mail is received. It is quite annoying as I rely on hearing the mail notification sound when I am busy using other programmes. Does anyone have a fix for this please?

Reaction score
After the cumulative update, sound started working again. Even though I have the "banners" box checked, I do not see a banner when an email comes in on any of the 3 email accounts I track in Outlook.

Reaction score
No inbound mail sounds with Outlook using WIN 10, but Live Mail works perfectly ... Other than that, same as all the above with the exception that after the cumulative update I sill had no new mail sound with Outlook (2013).

Reaction score
There's a solution on an older Microsoft forum that I found worked for me (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...new-mail/14202cca-9af6-49e5-a83c-8fd2d3efb01f). I've also cut & pasted it below:

"If the account type is IMAP, then the Desktop Mail Notification will not work, however you may set a rule to turn on the notification when a new e-mail is arrived.

Let us follow the steps to create a rule:
1. Click the File tab -> Go to Manage Rules & Alerts.
2. Click New Rule -> Select "Start from a blank rule" and verify that "Check messages when they arrive" is selected.
3. Press Next to go to the Conditions screen -> select through a specific account or where my name is in To box -> Click Next.
4. Enable Play a Sound -> Select the desired sound -> Click on Finish.

This should allow you to receive Mail notification along with the sound."

Hopefully, this info is helpful to you as it was for me!!

CallieD

Reaction score
There's a solution on an older forum that I found worked for me (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...new-mail/14202cca-9af6-49e5-a83c-8fd2d3efb01f). I've also cut & pasted it below:

"If the account type is IMAP, then the Desktop Mail Notification will not work, however you may set a rule to turn on the notification when a new e-mail is arrived.

Let us follow the steps to create a rule:
1. Click the File tab -> Go to Manage Rules & Alerts.
2. Click New Rule -> Select "Start from a blank rule" and verify that "Check messages when they arrive" is selected.
3. Press Next to go to the Conditions screen -> select through a specific account or where my name is in To box -> Click Next.
4. Enable Play a Sound -> Select the desired sound -> Click on Finish.

This should allow you to receive Mail notification along with the sound."

Hopefully, this info is helpful to you as it was for me!!

CallieD

Reaction score
IMAP is one thing but what about us who have POP accounts? Neither of these suggestions listed here are coming close to working for me. Are there any other suggestions since the last posting here?

Ask a Question