Outlook vs Outlook.com vs Windows Live Mail vs Mail

Outlook vs Outlook.com vs Windows Live Mail vs Mail

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ian submitted a new article:

Outlook vs Outlook.com vs Windows Live Mail vs Mail - The difference between the Microsoft Mail Clients

We've had a lot of questions regarding Outlook, Outlook.com, Windows Live Mail and the Windows 10 "Mail". All of these are Microsoft e-mail products, but they are all very different - as they can sometimes be confused, this article explains a little about each one and will help you identify the product you are using.

Outlook.com is the web-based e-mail service from Microsoft. It can be accessed through a browser at http://www.outlook.com (or you can connect a 3rd party...

Read more about this article...

Reaction score
Nice Summary. Sounds like it has all the Windows Live Email functionality I like. Hope it's not too buggy

Reaction score
Unlike the others, Outlook is really designed to be used with Exchange. I know one person who has their own Exchange server, yes, just one.
I think some more about non-MS email clients that are available would be useful in the article. Eudora, Thunderbird etc.

Reaction score
This has been discussed before in other threads. I am a Live Mail user. I honestly cannot see anything, for an Email client, that Live mail cannot do. I have, from time to time, strayed to others, out of curiosity. MSOutlook has far more than I need. For the others, I have always, eventually, returned to live mail.

Reaction score
I would like to know more about how vulnerable the pc app based "Mail" is to "attachment viruses", versus the online Outlook.com. I long ago started using the online email servers (now using Outlook.com), to get away from any email client app on my computer, so I would be more protected from "attachment opened" viruses. Anyone who could add their opinions about the differences between these four regarding that problem would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Reaction score
I am now using Outlook 2016 that came with the office 2016 package. Previously I was using WLM where I have some local storage folders. Is there a way to migrate these local storage folders to Outlook so that I can delete WLM from my system? I have read one article that says it only works with Outlook 2013 (32 bit) whereas I have Outlook 2016 (64 bit). This is all very confusing. To cap it all, my main email is with BT/Yahoo which I want to retain since most of my friends/contacts have that as my email address.

Reaction score
There may be a third party program that can do it, but, to the best of my knowledge, no manual way.
The easiest way is to have a MS live account on both. The process is then automatic.

P.S.Later.

Just a thought. I have no knowledge of the contents of your storage folders, but perhaps you could recreate the folders in Ms Outlook and copy and paste the content from one to the other?

Last edited:
Reaction score
My local storage folders mainly contain newsletter articles that I used to subscribe to. I want to keep them and repurpose the content as it is still relevant. I am unlikely to ever send/receive emails from this source in the future. I would be happy to simply 'export' these old emails with the ability to read them when required. I suppose I could forward each one to my new email account and re-file them in Outlook 2016 but that seems a tad tedious.

Reaction score
So they are all Emails. That will make your task relatively easier.
Select "File" on the top menu Bar and then "Export Mail"
Choose "Microsoft Exchange"
Accept the name (Outlook)
You will then be given the choice of folders, from which you wish to export.

Reaction score
So they are all Emails. That will make your task relatively easier.
Select "File" on the top menu Bar and then "Export Mail"
Choose "Microsoft Exchange"
Accept the name (Outlook)
You will then be given the choice of folders, from which you wish to export.

Well it didn't work. Could be the 32-bit / 64-bit issue perhaps. Also both email addresses are the same for source and destination addresses so I'm not surprised it didn't work. Incidentally, WLM stopped receiving emails shortly before I started looking to this (a couple of weeks ago). I see that other people have posted about WLM not working after a recent W10 update. Maybe I'll investigate that first, or perhaps I'll just try to save the emails as a backed-up file.

Reaction score
Did you remember to create a folder of the same name in MS Outlook, before exporting?
After the export, if you go to that folder, if the transferred files are not visible, there should be a message asking you to click to see if they are on Exchange.

Ask a Question