Password after waking from sleep

Reaction score
This is driving me mad. Both my tablets are requiring a password after waking from sleep. I have set everything I can think of to not require it, but it still asks. Im signing in with my live account, is that why?

Reaction score
Have you tried the following ? ..........

Go to Control Panel >top right, click View by : select Small icons >select Power Options > left side, click Require a password on wake up > click "Change settings that are currently unavailable" > under Password protect on wake up, click the dot " Don't require a password " > click Save changes.

Reaction score
Yeah tried that, its also set in the PC settings and in the power plan settings

Reaction score
Don't know how to fix that.

If you want to logon directly to your desktop without entering password, please post back.
My assumption is that......
If logon to desktop without password is enabled, then wake from sleep will not require password either.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
davidhk129.....I too along with many others are experiencing this issue and I'm on a clean install with a windows 10 Pro key. I think it's a bug that has arisen that MS hasn't encountered or expecting to happen after the RTM.

Reaction score
I used the ISO created from Media Creation Tool and did an "in-place" upgrade install.
I have no issue that requires password upon wake up from sleep.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Its' sporadic and inconsistent...it will work for days and then out of no where I have to input password. I have changed it to "not require a password from wake" and it just sometimes does.

Reaction score
Don't know how to fix that.

If you want to logon directly to your desktop without entering password, please post back.
My assumption is that......
If logon to desktop without password is enabled, then wake from sleep will not require password either.
Im already not entering my password at login, its purely at wake from sleep. Not a huge deal on a desktop, but a massive deal on a tablet.

Its definitely a bug because no combination of settings will change it, and ive checked the registry, the settings should allow it.

Reaction score
I have the same problem. And this problem is not sporadic. It is consistent and persistent.

I have a Surface 3 that had Windows 8.1. Before the Windows 10 upgrade, my settings were that I did not need to enter a password after sleep mode. The Surface 3 was upgraded with those settings. After the upgrade, these settings remained the same. But now it requires me to enter a password after sleep mode. This is really annoying when I need to give presentations. And I have tried everything, even disabling passwords altogether. None helped.

This is most definitely a bug with Windows 10. Hope this fix this soon.

Reaction score
I have the same problem. And this problem is not sporadic. It is consistent and persistent.

I have a Surface 3 that had Windows 8.1. Before the Windows 10 upgrade, my settings were that I did not need to enter a password after sleep mode. The Surface 3 was upgraded with those settings. After the upgrade, these settings remained the same. But now it requires me to enter a password after sleep mode. This is really annoying when I need to give presentations. And I have tried everything, even disabling passwords altogether. None helped.

This is most definitely a bug with Windows 10. Hope this fix this soon.

Same problem here, same device. Also a few times other bugs like screen going white on lock screen, selections not showing up in file manager, display problems in 8.1 apps, just to list a few. I think there will be massive patches to come!

Reaction score
Following a few research, I tried to fix using the registry. The setting was already good so I changed the value from 0 to 1, exited regedit (admin mode), restarted regedit changed back to 0, rebooted. Still no good...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

In the right pane, right-click ScreenSaveIsSecure, and then click Modify.

In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.

Exit Registry Editor.

Reaction score
There is a bug but a partial workaround is to go to Settings-Accounts-SignIn and change Require SignIn to Never

Reaction score
Yes, it only works when Windows has initiated the sleep after the set time, not when you have used the Sleep or Power button.

Reaction score
This is driving me mad. Both my tablets are requiring a password after waking from sleep. I have set everything I can think of to not require it, but it still asks. Im signing in with my live account, is that why?

Nevermind, bad behavior returns after re-boot.

Original post:

I have found a fix!

I was reading other threads about folks who can't get windows 10 to ask for a password and found out they have their power settings toggled to yes here:

power-jpg.501

So I went and changed my setting to "yes" and now I don't have to enter a password on wake up!

Here's the thread I found this on:
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/windows-10-password-after-sleep.1165/

Reaction score
This has been a real problem on my Dell tablet since installing Windows 10. After waking the tablet from sleep, I would get prompted for my pin/password. On my tablet, this would happen any time the tablet was asleep for 10 seconds or more (I tested to find out how long it needed to be asleep before it would start prompting me again).

I tried all of the standard fixes, many of which are posted above, but none of them worked. My system is even set to auto-login with netplwiz, yet I continued to be prompted for a password after waking the tablet.

What finally fixed it for me was disabling the lock screen by adding the following key to the registry:

1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Personalization

On my tablet, the Personalization key did not exist, so I created it.

2. Under the Personalization key create a new DWORD value named NoLockScreen and set value to 1.

3. Restart the computer.

Unfortunately, this does disable the lock screen entirely, but at least I don't keep getting a password prompt. Hope this is helpful to someone.

Eric

Ask a Question