Print Spooler Service Stops Unexpectedly

Reaction score
the spooling service for printing stops unexpectedly on windows 10

how to get it always started ?

Reaction score
also, when i go to control panel, then devices and printers when i delete the former place of the printer which was plugged on a network computer it comes back and when i right click on the printer which is now plugged on the pc with win 10, it only displays scanning option but not printer options

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
You're not alone, I've been reading about this issue on some other Windows 10 forums.
Can you advise as to what specific printer Manufacturer and Model Number this problem occurs with?
I'm hoping that in about two and a half weeks on the 21st the next build will (fingers crossed) resolve some of these lingering oddities with Windows 10.
Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features, and "Turn Windows Features On or Off". Under Print and Document Services, check (at least) LDP and LPR. Worked for me!
SOURCE: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-working/7433653b-90cc-430c-baa4-7959f265e947

The issue seems to be unique to build 9879 and perhaps even unique to the 64 bit version although I can't say for certain.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
can i update to another build ?
Not until the 21st. There is no other build (newer) available right now.
So you're sort of stuck right now unless you want to retro back to 9860 which to mean seems like a big waste of time not to mention a pain in the rear, especially if the problem is not unique to 9879.
Just hang in there until the 21st, supposedly we should have a new build on or around that date..... and in about 10 more days we should see another "Update Tuesday".
Who knows if that will include any hotfixes or patches, lately they seem to address security issues more so than nuts and bolts issues with the OS, we'll just have to wait and see. Patience is part of the whole beta testing experience, so .....
Enjoy.

Reaction score
I too am unable to keep the Print Spooler service running on my 64-bit Windows 10 machine. Even weirder, when I go to the properties of the service (any service), I get weirdness when I click the Recovery tab. Can someone please try these steps and let me know if you experience the same or similar issue:

Start > Run > services.msc > right-click Print Spooler service > Properties > Recovery tab (tab is nearly blank for me) > then click to another tab and the Recovery tab disappears entirely

Anyone else?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
This is what I see with regards to the Print Spooler Service properties, Recovery Tab
RecoveryTab.PNG

And switching from Tab to Tab does not seem to have any impact on its' contents.

Reaction score
This is what I see the moment I click the Recovery tab on any service:

2h7gr46.jpg

Notice the Recovery tab is now gone. Then, when I click to any other tab (Recovery tab still gone):

5mmjc5.jpg

This happens after multiple reboots on 64-bit Windows 10 Build 9879. The only issue I'm noticing though is the Print Spooler service is always stopped. I always have to manually start it in order to print something. I wonder what the problem is?

Reaction score
On my laptop (HP Probook) installed a HP network printer on the 9879 build, Print Spooler works fine (not stopping).

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Been following this problem on a couple other Windows 10 forums and a guy there has discovered that the issue may be associated with fast boot if any one wants to experiment.
Open Power Options in Control Panel
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options
Click the link on the left side that says "Choose what the power button does"
Under the section labeled "Shutdown settings"
Uncheck the "Turn on fast startup (recommended)" checkbox
You may need to click the link at the top that says "Change settings that are currently unavailable" if the options are grayed out.
Save changes
Reboot and see if the problem persists.
Worth a try.

Reaction score
You're not alone, I've been reading about this issue on some other Windows 10 forums.
Can you advise as to what specific printer Manufacturer and Model Number this problem occurs with?
I'm hoping that in about two and a half weeks on the 21st the next build will (fingers crossed) resolve some of these lingering oddities with Windows 10.

SOURCE: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-working/7433653b-90cc-430c-baa4-7959f265e947

The issue seems to be unique to build 9879 and perhaps even unique to the 64 bit version although I can't say for certain.
I tried it and it didn't work. An error saying it couldn't be completed popped up.

Reaction score
Hmm, when I uncheck it and then click "save changes" It seems to comply. No error message. Something is going on there.

Reaction score
I am having the same issue just started today. Since update to windows 10 my scanner stopped working. i unintalled and reinstalled printer and it all started working just fine till today it wasnt showing my printer. error stating printer spooler wasnt working. so i went in and started it back up but continues to turn back off. I'm attempting to install an update and see if that works??? any other suggestions or help

Reaction score

It's December 4, 2015 and I still don't have a printer that works with Windows 10. I've tried all the suggestions all year long and they all seem not to work for me and many others.

Reaction score
I am also having this issue. I have several printers including print to PDF. It doesn't matter which printer I want to use, as soon as I click on the "Print" option, whatever application I am printing from will freeze and I have to evoke task manager to close it. I have tried the starting and stopping the service but to no avail.

OK.. right after posting that I seem to have fixed the problem.

First I brought up the "Print Spooler" service as described above. In my case the service was already running and set to automatic. However, I disabled the service using the drop down box, then when I re-enabled it, it was stopped (obviously) then I started the service manually.

I followed this by deleting my existing printers and re-adding them. Hey presto, this seems to have solved my issue and I am printing normally again :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Im having printer problems. I see some of can your print spooler working. I cannot even it to start. I have everything suggested through various forums. Does anyone have this problem of not even able to get the spooler started?

Reaction score
After upgrading to Windows 10 on my Dell laptop, I have been trying all this week to install the drivers, etc for a new HP M451nw (with Windows 10 designated drivers from HP website). The driver packages would not complete the install....always failed. After 2 hours of telephone work with HP, we found that the print spooler was not staying active, and was not allowing for the installation. They advised I call MS, which I did....The MS rep hummed and hawed, had me upgrade Windows 10 installation...did nothing. The MS rep acted like is was a problem he had never heard of...and pretty much walked away after telling me to upgrade the OS. There are way to many threads in the forums for MS to not be aware of the problem....so frustrating not to be able to get an answer from our "trusted" provider....I have since just installed the printer on another computer in my office (installed perfectly on Windows 7 Pro!)....and will have to use the laptop as a work station only at this point....pretty worthless without print capability.

Ask a Question