Repeated BSOD crashes after Windows 10 upgrade

Reaction score
I recently updated my older ThinkPad W700 from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 Pro. I've sorted out numerous issues with the upgrade already but have a recurring problem with BSOD crashes and reboots. Everything works fine as long as I am using the computer but if I leave it for a while I get the blue screen. It may be occurring upon sleep mode kicking in but I'm not sure since I haven't been actually looking at when it blue screened. There isn't any particular error noted on the blue screen so that I can identify the specific problem.

I've seen a couple of different causes and fixes for Windows 10 crashes on forums but I'm not sure they apply. One has to do with NVIDIA drivers, which this system has, and recommended certain registry changes to Profile List IDs. Another has to do with asupio.sys errors, which seem to be mainly an Asus problem.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Jay51 and welcome to the forum.
Have you checked with the Computer Manufacturer's support site to see if there is a BIOS update available for your specific computer.

Reaction score
I haven't yet but I was incorrect in my original posting; the error is "system service exception (Tppwr64v.sys)". I looked at the Lenovo forum and others are having a similar problem, which seems to involve the Lenovo Power Manager device driver. The solution may be to get rid of the Lenovo interface software which appears to conflict with Windows 10.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yes, that looks like a driver file from Lenovo and apparently is part of their Power Management Software.
I don't know if you might find an updated version for that from them or not.
If you current power plan involves a Lenovo specific power plan, then you might try switching to a native Windows Power Scheme balanced or high performance and see if that helps the problem.
As a last resort you could break that driver by locating it, probably C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Tppwr64v.sys
Rename it from Tppwr64v.sys to Tppwr64v.OLD and reboot.
You can always rename it back to Tppwr64v.sys if that doesn't help the problem.

Reaction score
Yes, that looks like a driver file from Lenovo and apparently is part of their Power Management Software.
I don't know if you might find an updated version for that from them or not.
If you current power plan involves a Lenovo specific power plan, then you might try switching to a native Windows Power Scheme balanced or high performance and see if that helps the problem.
As a last resort you could break that driver by locating it, probably C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Tppwr64v.sys
Rename it from Tppwr64v.sys to Tppwr64v.OLD and reboot.
You can always rename it back to Tppwr64v.sys if that doesn't help the problem.
There is an updated version of the driver, the Lenovo PM device driver 1.67.10.17 for Windows 10, released last August. The one causing the problem dates from 2012. I will update the driver and hope that this fixes the problem. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Cool....
After updating be sure and check that date on that driver in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Tppwr64v.sys to confirm that it did infact update and that they didn't change the name of the driver and left the old one on your system to continue causing issues.

Ask a Question