SOLVED Safe mode won't accept my password

Reaction score
Following advice from another part of this forum I reset my boot using a command prompt, so that it would next boot into safe mode.

However at the flash screen which requests my PIN, it now says my PIN is incorrect and so I cannot complete the boot at all, either in safe mode or otherwise!

I was hoping to use safe mode to investigate why Devices and Printers hangs without reaching any display - but now I am completely locked out of the computer. Help desperately needed!!

It is a 3.6GB desktop running Win 10. I have just previously run scannow to check that system files are OK, and found no discrepancies.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I have two separate Microsoft Accounts configured as administrator on my computer, both of which are configured with PINs and Picture Passwords, but when I boot into safe mode I am not able to use any of the advanced sign-in options and only have the option to use my MS ID "password".
I wasn't aware that you could even use the other sign-in options in safe mode, as I've never had that option.
Do you see a link that says "Sign In Options" or words to that effect?

Reaction score
Thankyou so much. That was indeed the reason. I had believed that when I chose a Pin originally, that replaced any other passwords, and so that is what I was inserting. I had forgotten entirely that there was such a thing as a Microsoft account!

Ideally I would like to get away from passwords and Pins altogether since I am the sole user. But anyway I am back in business for the moment!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Great. Good to hear that you manage to resolve your problem.
Thanks for posting back and updating your thread with that information.

Ask a Question