SOLVED Screensaver not working

Reaction score
my screensaver is currently not working in windows 10 and since its not working it wont let the display turn off or go into sleep mode. When I was using windows 7 the screensaver would work fine and ever since i upgraded it it will not work now. Just curious if anyone else has had this problem or not or if anybody has any suggestions on how to possibly fix it that would be awesome.

Reaction score
I'm having similar problems. Sometimes it works for a while and then it stops working. I'll let you know when I find the fix

Reaction score
Having the same issue as well with the screensaver. It does not work for my upgraded 8.1 drive, nor does it work on a clean install of Win 10 on a new SSD.

Reaction score
Same problem here. Looking for a solution. NO screensaver works at all. Upgraded from 8.1 to 10. This is a MS problem. Why can't they fix it?

Reaction score
Glad to know I'm not the only one experiencing this problem. Also I have at least two other computers running windows 10 and they don't appear to be having this issue. I tried a google search on the issue but nothing came up relating to windows 10. If anyone has a solution or suggestions on how to fix it it would be greatly appreciated or hopefully microsoft will magically fix itself. I understand it's still a new os but I thought stuff like this would have been resolved during the beta test and before the released the non beta to the public.

EdU

Reaction score
Same problem, workstation with dual monitors, manually power them off and system will turn main monitor back on at some point.
Worked OK with 7 Pro and 8.1.

Reaction score
Same problem here. Screensaver not working since installing Windows 10. Seems like it is taking a long time to come up with a solution. Help please.

Reaction score
my screensaver is currently not working in windows 10 and since its not working it wont let the display turn off or go into sleep mode.

cluktisch,

1. You do not need screensaver in order to turn display off or go to sleep.
in fact, screensaver is a thing of the past. It is no longer necessary.
If you care to read this article regarding screensaver.......
http://www.howtogeek.com/128644/htg-explains-why-screen-savers-are-no-longer-necessary/

2. Please go over this tutorial of Power Plan Settings :
It shows you how to set the time to turn off screen (display) and when to go to Sleep.
Option Two may be more " Windows 10-ish " to understand.
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2843-power-plan-settings-change-windows-10-a.html

Reaction score
I don't use any screensaver for the usual purpose anymore either, haven't for a long time, I just like to run them once in a while to watch the graphics, I have a cool aquarium one that looks like real fish with ocean sound and all, just fun to watch sometimes.

its just a simple matter of turning off the monitor with the on/off switch, if I decide to leave the laptop on while I'm out, or in my case I have a small program icon on my tray that just blanks it out.

So some people still like them I guess, just like they still like the old startmenu's.

Reaction score
cluktisch,

1. You do not need screensaver in order to turn display off or go to sleep.
in fact, screensaver is a thing of the past. It is no longer necessary.
If you care to read this article regarding screensaver.......
http://www.howtogeek.com/128644/htg-explains-why-screen-savers-are-no-longer-necessary/

2. Please go over this tutorial of Power Plan Settings :
It shows you how to set the time to turn off screen (display) and when to go to Sleep.
Option Two may be more " Windows 10-ish " to understand.
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2843-power-plan-settings-change-windows-10-a.html

davidhk129
trust me I already know that you don't technically need a screensaver to turn the display off or make it go into sleep mode. I actually know computers better than probably half the people posting on these forums. In high school I went to votech and took a course called computer information systems (CIS). I already know how to access the screen saver settings and the change power plan settings (please refer to my attached screenshot). My whole problem is the fact that my screen saver won't work since upgrading to Windows 10 nor will it turn off my display after 1 hour of inactivity and it also won't allow it to go into sleep mode after 5 hours of inactivity. I appreciate your help but I've already tried all that before posting this thread.

Attachments

• screensaver options.png
    screensaver options.png
    146.9 KB · Views: 2,886
Reaction score
I just tested a mess of them I had, a few I made myself, some still run from within the settings box, some run only stand alone and some like the old Really Slick Screensavers don't run at all on 10. and don't much feel like even messing with them.

Reaction score
Same problem here.
After a few tests, it seems that the idle event did not trigger at all.
Making a sheduled task based on idle will not work either.

My 2 computers are based on Asus motherboard

Reaction score
Same problem here.
After a few tests, it seems that the idle event did not trigger at all.
Making a sheduled task based on idle will not work either.

My 2 computers are based on Asus motherboard

Mines also an asus motherboard. Not sure if that has anything to do with the screensaver not working...

Reaction score
I have a possible solution. I finally solved this problem for myself and maybe it has something in common with everyone else's problems.

I set my screensaver for 1 minute and unplugged one USB device at a time (every minute) until the screensaver started working. Turns out my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick is the culprit. As soon as this joystick is disconnected my screensaver works.

I have not tried installing any Logitech software or drivers (other than what installs automatically). Leading up to the the software download page it shows "Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10" but the next step where you select OS/x-bit it only goes up to Win8. I rarely use the joystick so for now it will stay unplugged.

Reaction score
Well I just tried what you recommended and turns out it was my rockcandy xbox 360 controller. Thanks for sharing that information with us!

Reaction score
Glad I'm not the only one. Same issue. No screen saver, or sleep. I have done 5 clean installs after reformatting my ssd's, didn't help. I restarted in diagnostic mode and screen saver worked again. At this time I had only reinstalled my Razer synapse for my gaming stuff and after that it rebooted, then screensaver stopped working again. I unplugged my tartarus, didn't help. Also my PC keeps changing the power option from balanced to high power setting on its own. Anyone else having this issue? Man this is such a pain in the a$$ Oh yea, My Logitech stuff didn't cause any issues what so ever. Everything was working fine after Logitech install. Just an FYI.

Reaction score
Glad I'm not the only one. Same issue. No screen saver, or sleep. I have done 5 clean installs after reformatting my ssd's, didn't help. I restarted in diagnostic mode and screen saver worked again. At this time I had only reinstalled my Razer synapse for my gaming stuff and after that it rebooted, then screensaver stopped working again. I unplugged my tartarus, didn't help. Also my PC keeps changing the power option from balanced to high power setting on its own. Anyone else having this issue? Man this is such a pain in the a$$ Oh yea, My Logitech stuff didn't cause any issues what so ever. Everything was working fine after Logitech install. Just an FYI.

Tatkolektor
I have not had the issue on the power plan randomly changing but the way I fixed the screensaver not working is doing what RedWin10 suggested and it turned out that my rockcandy xbox 360 controller was what appeared to be making my screensaver not working.

Reaction score
Same problem, when I unplug my Joystick Controller the screensaver and "turn off monitor" works great. I just gotta remember to unplug the joystick.
Now where do I send the bill for my 50" TV that has a burned pixel in it from the first night I installed windows 10 and fell asleep expecting the screensaver would kick in when it was set to.

Reaction score
i am running a cyberpower pc, i am unsure of the motherboard, but i am having screen saver issues and sleep mode issues, screen saver wont run, even when turned on, and i did notices weird conflicts in the rock candy 360 controller when it tried to run, i have unplugged it to see if that was the issue. as for sleep mode, i read a post on a different website to try running powercfg -requests from the cmd window. when i did, it showed that nothing was running, so i had to go check my sleep settings, i will keep you posted on if the setting changes worked or not, and if removing the controller fixed the screensaver.

Ask a Question