Search Box - can't type in it, nothing happens

Reaction score
I can't type in the Search Box. If I change it to a "Search Icon", I can click on it but nothing happens. In task manager, I see that SEARCHUI.EXE is running - I've closed it, watched it re-load itself, but same results, can't type in the Search Box. Also, on another related note, Cortana doesn't open for me, even Cortana Settings. If I click on Cortana settings, nothing happens. I've already tried sfc /scannow, it never finds any corrupted files. I've installed all Windows updates up to the time of this post.

Reaction score
No guarantees. Give this a try.........

Right click at Start button > select Command Prompt (Admin) > type powershell > press Enter > wait a bit until you see this ..... PS C:\Windows\system32>

At the flashing prompt, copy and paste this.........

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

> press Enter.

Ignore any error in red.

When finished, try Search and Cortana again.

Reaction score
Thanks davidhk129, but that did not seem to work. A couple of more details: When I click on the search box/search icon, I can see SEARCHUI.EXE close in the Task Manager. After 2-3 seconds, it reloads itself. Also, I just noticed that
ShellExperienceHost.exe in suspended.

Reaction score
I am having the exact same issue... it's been a while, have you found and fix to this problem?

Bif

Reaction score
This happened to me sporadically prior to the new build..no idea why it happened or was done to rectify it but it works now.

Reaction score
I went to services and solved all my other issues there. but i don't know what the Search task would be in services. Any Clue? Maybe should i Try A Restart? ... Tried to restart, nothing happened

Last edited:
Reaction score
Microsoft Edge was not opening up properly. The blue screen opened but it did not take it to the browser interface.
As well as this I could not type into the search Cortana bar.

I tried the cmd solution pasting in Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Well it ran for a few minutes and there was a sea of red built up.
At the end of the process everything started working. :)

Fantastic advice - i joined the forum to post this for users who might follow on and to say thanks.

Reaction score
I too tried the idea below to no effect, other than a page full of red ink and nothing else. My problems are not just the inability to type into search field but also things like Thunderbird wont open unless I log into Admin where it opens snappily and perfectly. My Office 2010 also is very slow to open in standard account but again opens snappily and perfectly when logged on with Admin !?

I get the impression that I have a mysterious cock up somehow between standard and Admin accounts ??

Any other ideas people?

I tried the cmd solution pasting in Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Reaction score

Right click at Start button > select Command Prompt (Admin) > type powershell > press Enter > wait a bit until you see this ..... PS C:\Windows\system32>

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

> press Enter.

Ignore any error in red.

Hi I tried the forementioned resolution but did not work. All was working fine until the update KB3176929 was installed. I did uninstall the update and all worked again. But Windows installed it again and now I'm back to square 1.
Surely a patch from windows is required.

Reaction score
Hello,
I too tried a lot of these advise, but none worked, until I started reading the red text wall from powershell. The clue was there.
Start your Windows Firewall Service, and it will all work again. Stop it later and see it all (windows search, cortana, edge launching) fail to start/work. Start the Windows Firewall Service and it all works again.

Reaction score
If you have tried the command
to no avail...double check that WINDOWS firewall is active. I had previously disabled it to keep conflicts with Kaspersky to a minimum. When running the powershell command, I received errors almost as soon as I hit enter. after re-enabling Win firewall, I was able to pull more packages from Msoft and finally fixed the issue.

Reaction score

> press Enter.

Ignore any error in red.

After Hours of Google Search this worked for me. Thanks David.

Reaction score
I can't type in the Search Box. If I change it to a "Search Icon", I can click on it but nothing happens. In task manager, I see that SEARCHUI.EXE is running - I've closed it, watched it re-load itself, but same results, can't type in the Search Box. Also, on another related note, Cortana doesn't open for me, even Cortana Settings. If I click on Cortana settings, nothing happens. I've already tried sfc /scannow, it never finds any corrupted files. I've installed all Windows updates up to the time of this post.

Had this same issue today. The way I fixed it was the following :
Right click on the windows start button
Left click on "command prompt" (Admin)
In the box that opens, type cftmon.exe
Press enter button

Reaction score
Having tried al of the above, with no luck, going into date and time and having it re-sync internet time fixed the problem, not sure why it worked, but it did. I can't promise it will help you, but it's easy enough to try.

Ask a Question