Sharing between Vista and Windows 10

Reaction score
My PC had 8.1 and I updated to 10. My laptop had, and still has, Vista. Since the update, I have difficulty filesharing between the 2. It doesn't seem to be possible to access the W10 HomeGroup from the Vista laptop, and the old Workgroup on the laptop is unavailable to the W10 PC. So I tried simply sharing all the files. Oddly enough I can now access the Shared Documents on the PC, but not the other accounts (visible as My Documents and My Documents 2, but can't be opened). As far as I can see, the sharing settings are identical. Is there a solution, or do I have to resign myself to limited networking?
Since it also doesn't seem to be possible to update Vista to 10, my laptop is rapidly becoming redundant - do I have to buy a new one (or change to Ubuntu)?

Reaction score
I agree - but I even find it very difficult to do file sharing between my three PC which all have windows 10. The security options along with file ownership seems to have gone mad ! Did anyone test this ? I cannot back up my files and photos now - and being an Ex DBA I find this very annoying !!

Reaction score
Same problem here, however I did find at least one solution. On the Vista machine turn on Network Discovery and Public Folder Sharing (Password protect if you so desire). On the W10 machine go to Control Panel/Network and Sharing/HomeGroup and click on "Change advanced sharing settings." Turn on Network discovery, and others as you desire. You don't/can't set up a Home Group between the two, so I left HomeGroup turned off. Now you should be able to access everything on the W10 machine on the Vista machine (after User/Password setup if you selected that option). Getting stuff off your Vista machine will require copying the desired Vista files into the Public Shared folder on that Vista machine, but then that Public Shared folder should be accessible on the W10 machine as well. If you want to share your entire Vista HDD with W10, go to My Computer, right click on the C: drive, Properties/Sharing Tab/Advanced Sharing then click Share this folder. Everything will be available on W10 under File Explorer/Network/(Name of Vista Machine)

Let me know if that works

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your advice was very helpful. I followed it and I could access the Vista Public folder from the Windows 10 laptop. Worked great for weeks--did many transfers.

This morning my Vista laptop disappeared from the W10 "Network"......???

I'm in the This PC window and I click on Network and only the Windows 10 laptop is there, where yesterday my Vista laptop was there too.

I'm no techie....any advice? Thank you so much. loretta

Reaction score
To NotAPoweUser,

That was a big help! I went to my Control Panel in my Windows 10 and turned OFF the password protect in the Networking/Sharing.

Ask a Question