Shut Down

Reaction score
If I use "Start->Power ->Shut down" when I finish a session the computer hangs shortly after next start up and I have to press and hold the "On/off" button on the CPU until it shuts down. Then when I start it up again all is Ok.
I have now resorted to pressing and holding the "On/off" button on the CPU until it shuts down at the end of each session i.e. I ignore the "Start->Power ->Shut down" feature which I am told is not a good thing to do!
Any suggestions?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
As a test try disabling hibernation temporarily.
Right click the start button and choose Command prompt (Admin) and in the command prompt windows type
powercfg -h off
hit enter
reboot your computer and see if the Start -> Power -> Shut down works any better.

To reverse this simply redo the command changing "off" to "on"

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
As a test try disabling hibernation temporarily.
Right click the start button and choose Command prompt (Admin) and in the command prompt windows type
powercfg -h off
hit enter
reboot your computer and see if the Start -> Power -> Shut down works any better.

To reverse this simply redo the command changing "off" to "on"
Thanks for the kind welcome to the Forum.
When I hit Enter after typing powercfg -h off at command prompt I get the following:
Unable to perform operation. An unexpected error (0x65b) has occurred: Function failed during execution.
Thanks again for help.

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind welcome to the Forum.
When I hit Enter after typing powercfg -h off at command prompt I get the following:
Unable to perform operation. An unexpected error (0x65b) has occurred: Function failed during execution.
Thanks again for help.
Sorry I selected the wrong Command prompt at the start button and got the above error message - it has to be Command prompt (Admin).
When I selected the correct one and followed your instructions it worked and I can now Shut down and everything is OK on restart. I am most grateful for your help.

Reaction score
Sorry I selected the wrong Command prompt at the start button and got the above error message - it has to be Command prompt (Admin).
When I selected the correct one and followed your instructions it worked and I can now Shut down and everything is OK on restart. I am most grateful for your help.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad that worked for you.
Now, if you need to use hibernate (many laptop users love it, rarely of any value in a desktop / tower environment) you are going to have to sort out why hibernation is causing your issue.

Reaction score
I have both a Surface Pro 3 which is not shutting off even though I am clicking on the shut down icon. And I also note on my big box computer when I direct "re-start" Windows 10 does not shut it down to re-start it so the up-dates were not being installed on either computer until I discovered this when I had the Tech at my office fix my Surface for me today. Does anyone know what Microsoft is doing to fix this glitch in Windows 10?

Reaction score
I have both a Surface Pro 3 which is not shutting off even though I am clicking on the shut down icon. And I also note on my big box computer when I direct "re-start" Windows 10 does not shut it down to re-start it so the up-dates were not being installed on either computer until I discovered this when I had the Tech at my office fix my Surface for me today. Does anyone know what Microsoft is doing to fix this glitch in Windows 10?
Did you try the solution above from Trouble?

Reaction score
I tried that and what came up was a black screen with a line to type in: c:\windows\system33>
Then the computer's response was: "powercfg" is not recognized as an internal or external command operable program or batch file."

Reaction score
I was careful to use the Admin one. But thank you for being sure I did that. I am not knowledgeable in these matters.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Check here
C:\Windows\System32
and see if powercfg.exe is there
If it is then your path statement is damaged or corrupt.

Last edited:
Reaction score
On my computer, System 32 came up and when I typed in the line you directed, nothing happened to acknowledge my search. The computer repeated the "system 32" line, not acknowledging I had typed in anything.

Reaction score
On my computer, System 32 came up and when I typed in the line you directed, nothing happened to acknowledge my search. The computer repeated the "system 32" line, not acknowledging I had typed in anything.
In file explorer at the top just to the right of the words "quick access" , left click and highlight the search window. Type or paste C:\Windows\System32 there. Then of course click your enter key. Scroll down (a long way) in the resulting list.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I tried that just to see what it said and I see the application powercfg but there is no .exe at the end.
Probably because you have a check in the box that says "Hide extensions of known types"
Look in your folder option under the view tab and uncheck that box and then you'll see the .exe after powercfg

Reaction score
Probably because you have a check in the box that says "Hide extensions of known types"
Look in your folder option under the view tab and uncheck that box and then you'll see the .exe after powercfg
Your right, I see the extension now,

Reaction score
I did as Dan99 directed and the computer revealed the following: htafile.reg and describes it as "Registration Entries". None of this means anything to me as I don't speak "computer.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Simply open file explorer and use your mouse to browser to your local disk C:\Windows\System32
powercfg.exe should be there if it is and you are getting the error
"powercfg" is not recognized as an internal or external command operable program or batch file."
When you attempt to use it from an elevated command prompt (if you are absolutely certain that you are using an elevated command prompt it must contain the word Administrator in the Title bar)
AdminCmdPrompt.JPG

Then your path statement does not include ;C:\Windows\System32;
Which would be very strange indeed, but not unheard of.

Reaction score
I went back in as you suggested and the page you copied and pasted in for me to see is the one I get. I then used to mouse to go over to the C drive and opened it to see what was there and there was no "pwercfg h in the list. there were other items listed that I did not recognize but were clearly operating system materials.

I am disappointed that my computer turned off and restarted just fine before I installed Windows 10 and now it needs me to check for updates and then to be sure to use the off button to shut it down manually to be sure they are properly installed. It seems like a backward step on my two year old computer. And I don't know what the deal is with my Surface Pro as it just got all "tied up" with the up-dating business and it is difficult to tell if it is "off" or sleeping at times. I was hoping that this was something others had experience and there would be a release to fix it. I really appreciate the help each of you has tried to offer. Thanks so much.

I think I need to take my computer back to Memory Express and have them take a peek at it. And similarly, take my Surface into the Microsoft store when I can make the time.

Ask a Question