Starup Loop - WDF Violation

Reaction score
Installed Win 10 about 2 week ago. Installation went smoothly.
Started up PC this morning.
Blue Screen with sad face "windows encountered a problem as need to restart - well restart for you"
I then shows a screen with "Starting Automatic Repair". Then back to the "windows has encountered a problem"
Nothing but a perpetual loop
F8 does nothing
F2 and F12 work but provide no remedy

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
WDF Violation (Windows Driver Foundation).... would suggest that you got yourself a hardware driver issue and you're going to need to boot to safe mode to have any hopes of a remedy.
You could first try physically interupting the boot process, using your power switch or reset switch to shut the computer down as Windows is trying to boot.
That may present you with a screen from which you can maneuver to the advanced troubleshooting screen and get to Windows Startup Settings and boot to safe mode.

All the other ways I know involve booting to the installation media or recovery disk.

Reaction score
I have the same problem after upgrading from Windows 7 64 to windows 10 everything appeared to be working ok and I had been using windows 10 for about 1 week. Microsoft said I needed an update and needed to reboot. I am now stuck in the endless loop. I did notice that my usb3 ports stopped working after the upgrade. I now wish I had never switched to 10 as I never had a problem with Windows 7

Reaction score
Yep,
Did everything I could to interrupt the boot process. Removed the battery and pulled out the power cord during the boot. Downloaded WIN10 installation media to a USB drive on another machine. Used F2/F12 to set the USB as the boot drive and then rebooted. I tried all the option the boot media provides, Repair, Restore etc. In desperation I had to resort to a full install - loosing everything that was on the hard drive - but at least I'm now up and running except for one odd problem related to the keyboard. When I press the @ key I get " and when I press the " key I get @. I installed DELL SYSTEM AUTO DETECT and it checked the drivers - said I had the latest drivers - so I installed an older DELL keyboard driver and it still did not fix the problem. I have upgraded 3 machines from Win 7 to WIN 10 in the last 3 weeks and this is the 2nd machine to have problems. The other machine ran perfectly for about 2 weeks, then one morning I cranked it up, EDGE took about 10 minutes to load - but with a blank screen. As the day went by it gradually got worse, the START menu would not work, Internet explorer would not work, and several non-windows application would crash on startup. I had t do a complete RESET to get the machine running again

Reaction score
Hi I'm in the same situation, installed upgrade from Windows 8 yesterday, computer worked fine all day, this morning it is stuck in a start loop with the WDF Violation error, how do I get to ?? to do a reboot, have tried the interrupt method, but that does nothing,

Ask a Question