Stop this insanity

Reaction score
Windows 10 - Fast - what a joke! .. if somehow they think that all the crap going on in the background isnt noticeable .. then they are idiots .. I am trying to work here .. there are times of the day when processing is on a factor 3-5 times slower ..this is insane!

And Edge - ths is a crime on humanity .. I have 250 MB cable internet speed soon to go to 1GB when it becomes available .. I am the only one on my network .. on I cant navigate within this program .. I am waiting and waiting and waiting to go from page to page for bloody ads to load .. I DONT EVEN CARE ABOUT THE ADS (SHOW ALL YOU WANT) - I DONT READ EM AND NO COMPANY .. REPEAT NO COMPANY WILL EVER BENEFIT FROM SHOWIG ME AN AD ON A WEBPAGE - I DONT EVEN NOTICE THEM - AND IF I DO IT WILL BE A REMINDER TO NEVER NEVER NEVER VISIT OR BUY FROM THAT COMPANY .. but that said .. if you (Microsoft) cant have the ads load fast enough that when I want to move to another site (page)
I can - FIGURE IT .. rocket scientists (NOT)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
As Bill Clinton would say.....
"I feel your pain" :)
Recently I performed a clean install of Windows 10 on my Windows insider machine and before rejoining it to the insider program, I couldn't help but notice that....
My hard disk activity light never went dark and stayed dark ever. Although the machine was idle from my point of view, after hours (literally hours) of just setting there (all updates done and done including the Store) there seemed to be always something keeping my hard disk busy.
I launched Resource Monitor and just watched the Reads and Writes in the primary pane (Overview tab) while watching network activity on the right side.
There seemed to be some correlation so unplugged the Ethernet cable and disabled the adapter in device manager.
That helped some, but I was still amazed at the amount of disk activity still going on. Seems Windows 10 is always busy doing something while using my system resources.
I should note that the CPU and Memory remained relatively idle according to the right side of Resource Monitor.
AND
I have not generally experienced any slower processing of tasks.....
BUT
It gives me some concern that my SSD always seems to be occupied, doing something and never apparently completely idle

Reaction score
Microsoft is becoming worse than the calls I get daily for carpet cleaning and duct cleaning .. and they should be lumped into the same category - GOVERNMENT has to govern and stop this crap!. Used to be there was a grain of concern about monopoly and such .. now . silence .. microsoft is doing whatever it wants in forcing this EDGE garbage on everyone .. continually changing settings like default program associations to force the use of EDGE .. Government needs to step in and say STOP!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Government needs to step in and say STOP!
The last thing I want or for that matter need...... IS the "Government" having anything (more than they already have) to do with my computer or how I use it or what I use on it.
Personally, if the situation becomes so obtrusive as to be untenable, I'll handle it myself. I'm pretty sure I can come up with something that behaves move like a computer and less like a marketing device.

Reaction score
Tim H. If this REALLY BOTHERS YOU. Then replace Windows 10 with Linux. Ubuntu or Mint and replace Office with LibreOffice.

A. Your hardware will run faster.
B. You can use any non-MS browser including Pale Moon which is pretty fast.
C. The whole software kit will be more reliable and smaller AND it will only do updates when you want to do them!

D. Most modern games won't run even under the various Windows emulators...if you care.

I used Linux for years. I like W10. I don't use Edge and I do use Adblock in the browsers I use. I do use Office and I do't use any MS mail products. So I just don't see the problems you see.

Reaction score
Trouble that's exactly what I observed last week and took the same action (unplugged the Ethernet cable) the activity I observed on my Ethernet connection consumed 3 GB of my data before I could take any action. Personally I think MS are using our PCs as servers for updating other PCs on the internet whether the "How to deliver update box is checked or unchecked. I used 15GB of Data in 5 days from just visiting 2 Forums email and general browsing. I'm back to using my Win 7 PC for daily use in 5 days Win 7 has used 300MB. It's not hard to figure out who the data hog is. I'm happy with Win 7. I may go back to Win 7 permanently for the next 4 years if MS don't change this data robbery policies.

Reaction score
Trouble and Norton. Do you observe this only in the 24 hours ( or a bit more) after a patch day? Tuesday PM through perhaps Thursday AM ?

Also it should be possible to make a firewall rule that stops this...but whether that can be done in the Windows firewall I don't know. Perhapsw only allowing outgoing for dns/http/https and whatever port is used when one downloads or calls a mail server. I am not a firewall expert.

Reaction score
the wording is clever .. it refers to how YOU get YOUR updates .. and so you can click NOT to get your updates from outside .. but it does not say it wont update others computers from yours .. I believe you are absolutley correct .. are computers are being turned into torrent sites whether we lke it or not

Reaction score
Tim I observed it last Thursday around 9am, 2 days after update Tuesday. I unplugged my Ethernet cable as task manager showed no programs running. At first I thought maybe it was a download, but that wasn't the case as the last updates were on Tuesday Aug 23. We (users) shouldn't have to take evasive action. What MS is doing is criminal.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I haven't experienced this on any computers I am in contact with.

I do have my defrag turned off. I have the index (Windows search service) also turned off, as I use a third party search engine. But neither of these should have any influence on the internet connection, only on HD activity.

Ask a Question