SOLVED Suddenly cannot print from mail app windows 10

Reaction score
I was printing emails ok from the windows 10 mail app on Sunday but when I tried today, the print panel was different ( black and different layout, rather than normel screen) and emails would not print. On clicking print box there was no indication of anything happening and no message. I am able to print from documents on my pc and see the print panel I expect. If I go into, say gmail via the web I can print ok and again see the print panel I expect? Any ideas please?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
the print panel was different ( black and different layout, rather than normel screen)
The print panel has changed slightly...... the dark theme is very noticeable, but it should still print as before.
Since it looks new to you, that would suggest that you recently received the November Update and perhaps even the subsequent cumulative update.
I would suggest first manually checking Windows Updates and confirm that your device is up to date if a restart is recommended then choose restart now, if not.....
Then I would suggest a shut down and restart anyway, just to confirm that your profile is loading properly.

When you see the print panel do you see a drop down option at the very top which allows you to select from available printers?
Is the proper printer selected?
If you select the Microsoft PDF printer does the email print successfully to a .pdf file?

Reaction score
Hi Trouble, many thanks for your response. Situation now is - windows was up to date but appeared to say waiting downloads so I checked my HP printer, Hp had downloaded something on 29/11 but had 4 downloads waiting as appears to be programmed to download automatically weekly. I downloaded info and restarted system. I then tried to print emails from windows email app. I was sucsessful but it took 2-5 minuites before emails printed! On the occasion I waited 5 minutes, I then touched the computer touchpad as nothing seemed to be happenneing and the the small round blue circle appeared on the screen and email printed.
I then swiped over an email which was then put in my documents folder as a PDF file and this then printed immediately. Previously in the mail app I selected PDF printer but nothing printed.
Although I do not understand all the reasons for avbove, I can now at least print. I would not have been able to do this without your help. Guess I will see what happens in the future. This might well be a learning curve for me and windows 10 has obviously some great features if only newcomers knew hpw to access them!!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I then touched the computer touchpad as nothing seemed to be happenneing and the the small round blue circle appeared on the screen and email printed
Depending on how your printer is connected to your computer, it may be a victim of a power saving option, or more likely the port which it connects to is a victim of a power saving option.
You may want to check Device Manager, expand Universal Serial Bus controllers, for each USB Root Hub, double click it to open the properties dialog box and check the "Power Management" tab.
Uncheck the box that says "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

Reaction score
Hi Trouble, this is getting a bit deep for me! I said earlier I had created a pdf file from an email. I thought I knew how I had done this as seemed very useful way to save info, but now cannot do it again. Could you assist once more. Thanks

Reaction score
Hi Trouble, please forget previous request as now worked it out!! Many thanks.

Reaction score
Settings - Apps - Mail and calendar app - advance settings - reset app.
This will reset the app to default and will ask for login and passwords.
Upon login, all the emails will still be there, and now you can print.

Reaction score
I was printing emails ok from the windows 10 mail app on Sunday but when I tried today, the print panel was different ( black and different layout, rather than normel screen) and emails would not print. On clicking print box there was no indication of anything happening and no message. I am able to print from documents on my pc and see the print panel I expect. If I go into, say gmail via the web I can print ok and again see the print panel I expect? Any ideas please?

Ask a Question