System Reserved (H:)

Reaction score
When I start my computer 2 weeks ago I found the new System Reserved (H:) was added to local disks, is it harmful?

Reaction score
It should only have been added during some type of upgrade operation. It does not normally have a drive letter but it should not be a problem. Are you sure it wasn't there before?

Try opening Disk Management by right clicking the start button and select it. Use the snipping tool to take a picture of the disk layout and attach the picture.

Reaction score
When I start my computer 2 weeks ago I found the new System Reserved (H:) was added to local disks, is it harmful?

System reserved is typically where the OEM (PC brand) puts the files to make system restore media. It's the OS that was on the PC when you bought it.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The "System Reserved" partition is produced by a default install of Windows
it holds the Boot Manager code and the Boot Configuration Database. Second, it reserves space for the startup files required by the BitLocker Drive Encryption feature.
SOURCE: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/gg441289.aspx
Typically between 100 and 450 megabytes in size depending on which OS you're installing.
Even on a new or otherwise clean drive, if you do nothing in advance to format the drive the default install to unallocated space will automatically produce and System Reserved partition.
Normally it will not be assigned a drive letter as Saltgrass has already said
Probably to prevent curious users from using File Explorer to muck about with its' contents.

Reaction score
It should only have been added during some type of upgrade operation. It does not normally have a drive letter but it should not be a problem. Are you sure it wasn't there before?

Try opening Disk Management by right clicking the start button and select it. Use the snipping tool to take a picture of the disk layout and attach the picture.

Reaction score
Thank you for your input and to answer your question, yes I am sure it wasn't there before.
I followed your steps and you the picture.
Capture.PNG

Reaction score
The partition is as described and contains the boot files for a Legacy installed system. It was probably created when Windows 7 was first installed since it is only 100 MBs. It is the Boot partition since it is Active, so don't mess with it other than possibly removing the drive letter.

The 450 MB partition was probably created during an upgrade and contains the current recovery tools.

Ask a Question