SOLVED Unable to recover

Reaction score
Have a Packard Bell desktop computer which was initially installed with Windows 7, decided to upgrade during free upgrade period to Windows 10, works very well, however the system has stopped working saying there is a fault and needs to restart, which it does and says its diagnosing the problem and will restart which it does again then proceeds to bring up the same loop.
I have made a default disk and 3 recovery disc so I decided to try a repair, instead of repairing Windows 10 it has now reverted back to Windows 7, tried again with same result.
If I keep it with Windows 7 and install all the updates will it eventually show the Windows 10 logo on taskbar so I can reinstall 10 again, will Microsoft allow me to do that as I am an authorised user.
I don't know what the problem is but just before the system went down Kaspersky issue a warning but unfortunately I had little time to react.
Why wont the recovery discs work and why has it revert back to Windows 7.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Why wont the recovery discs work and why has it revert back to Windows 7.
I can only guess that the "recovery discs" were created while Windows 7 was the OS installed on the system, or else they used the OEM Recovery partition during their creation or during the recovery process itself.
If I keep it with Windows 7 and install all the updates will it eventually show the Windows 10 logo on taskbar so I can reinstall 10 again, will Microsoft allow me to do that as I am an authorised user.
Probably not, as the free upgrade has expired and I don't think the whole GWX.exe thing will reappear, however.....
IF you had Windows 10 running on the system and it had been properly activated, then you can re-install Windows 10 any time you want.

Get the ISO from here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sof...459594)(TnL5HPStwNw-WaTVja5C7z2Vs7q82apCPg)()
Choose Windows 10, the first item in the first drop down (not single language at the bottom) * see note at bottom.
Next choose your language and your bit version (32 or 64 bit to match your system architecture or in the case of an upgrade, to match your currently installed version of Windows).
That will provide an ISO from which you can create installation media that will boot, upgrade, repair (or clean install) either or both Windows 10 Pro and Home.
Within Windows 10 you can just double click the ISO file to mount it as a virtual drive and run setup.exe from that virtual drive to perform the in-place / upgrade / repair.
*NOTE: In some cases, we've learned that some people have the "Single Language" version installed. In which case you would need that download. It's important that you match the ISO version that you download with your installation.

Once you have downloaded the ISO you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD http://imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
OR
Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive http://rufus.akeo.ie/
When you've created the installation media then you simply launch setup.exe from the media from within your current version of Windows to perform the in-place upgrade, OR.....
Boot the computer toperform a custom clean install, OR....
Boot the computer to access the Windows Recovery Environment to use some of the advanced troubleshooting tools.

Reaction score
Many thanks Trouble, no `trouble` for me,for your reply, looks a bit complicated but I will give it a go, if I am successful how will Microsoft know I have a legit activated version of Windows 10

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
how will Microsoft know I have a legit activated version of Windows 10
As I mentioned above....
IF your machine has had Windows 10 installed and activated on it, then that installation is associated with that particular machine and its' hardware configuration and recorded somewhere on a database that maintains that information for Microsoft, so..... you are (or at least that machine is) set for life with respect to re-installing Windows 10.
During the install, you'll likely be prompted for a product key. Simply click "skip" or "I don't have" and after the install is complete, assuming you have clean installed the same version of Windows 10 that was originally on the machine, and you connect to the internet.... the machine will auto activate and reclaim the "digital entitlement" or whatever they're calling it today.

Reaction score
Many thanks again, here goes. By the way , can I download on a different computer first before installing on other.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Many thanks again, here goes. By the way , can I download on a different computer first before installing on other.
Sorry... some how I missed your post above.
You can "download" from any resource that might be available to you as long as you download the correct ISO that matches the installation you are trying to address (repair, re-install, boot, etc., etc.)
Another computer would certainly fit that criteria and would almost be mandatory if the computer in question was not bootable.
Thanks Trouble, great help.
Can I assume that you managed to resolve your problem?
IF so.... good to hear and thanks for the follow-up.

Ask a Question