Unable to Search for Updates - Error 0x8007042c

Reaction score
I recently upgraded to Windows 10 on my Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop from Windows 7. After updating, I'm unable to check on updates. I get:

There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x8007042c)

Looking online, I find this has something to do with the firewall but my firewall appears to working fine. What can I do to resolve this?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you tried the Windows Update Troubleshooter.
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting\All Categories\Windows Update

Reaction score
I have this same exact problem. No windows updates in over two months (Oct. 20, 2015). The troubleshooter cannot identify the problem. Also, the start menu won't open & the search functions don't work. I've been many a search and no solution has appeared.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If you check winver and determine that you are still running 10240 you might want to download the latest ISO and perform an in-place upgrade from it.
Please be sure to backup all your critical data in advance of proceeding as the 10586 update is basically a full OS upgrade.
You can get the ISO from here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
Once you have it, simply double click setup.exe from within your running version of Windows 10 to perform the upgrade.

Reaction score
If you check winver and determine that you are still running 10240 you might want to download the latest ISO and perform an in-place upgrade from it.
Please be sure to backup all your critical data in advance of proceeding as the 10586 update is basically a full OS upgrade.
You can get the ISO from here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
Once you have it, simply double click setup.exe from within your running version of Windows 10 to perform the upgrade.
I kind of have the same problem as the TS and I wonder exactly what "...all your critical data..." means? What files do I have to backup? Sorry about my ignorance.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Since an upgrade from 10240 to 10586 is the practical equivalent to an OS install it is generally considered a best practice to backup your computer before proceeding.
I recommend a disk image
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/
Generally speaking your profile folder will contain most of your important data ( C:\Users\YourUserName )
But.... some programs, like QuickBooks for instance, will sometimes store their working files elsewhere and there may be additional users with their own profile folders which would need to be secured as well.
That's why I generally go with a disk image to get everything, including programs and drivers.

Ask a Question