SOLVED Unknown USB device in Windows 10

Reaction score
After installing Windows 10 I have the following:

In Control Panel I show a Unknown USB Device (Device Descripter Request Failed)

This also shows up in This PU > Manage > Device Manager > Universal Serial Bus Controller : Unknown USB Device (Device Descripter Request Failed) which has a yellow mark.

I troubleshot this and the details of the troubleshoot found this problem:
Location Port_#0001.Hub_#0004
Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problem (Code 43).

Now this tells me that I have a USB Device attached to my computer that Windows 10 was unable to find a driver for. Is this a
correct assumption and if so how do I find out which USB device it is so I can either try to find a driver for it or remove it?

Thanks
Tom

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have solved this problem by doing the following:

1. Unplug the power cord from desktop computer.
2. Hold in the on/off button for approx. 10 seconds until the light goes off. This kills the reserve power.
3. Unplug all of your USB cords from the back of your machine as well as any flash drive or any other USB
device that is plugged into your computer.
4. Insert the power plug back into your computer and power it up. Allow it to completely load everything
that it needs to before you do anything else.
5. Now start plugging your USB devices back into your computer one at a time while waiting for them to
indicate that they are recognized. Do this with each one of your devices until all have been recognized.
6. Now right/click on computer or This PC and choose Manage / Device Manager /USB Serial Controllers and
check to see if any of them have the yellow tag. They should not have if the problem is corrected.

This error code 43 was caused when at some prior time one of he devices either did not install properly or
did not function properly and then at a later time it did. This error was stored in your motherboard memory
and by following the above instructions this killed out the error memory on the motherboard.

Hope this helps others who may have a similar problem.

If you have a laptop instead of a motherboard you need to remove your battery after you unhook the power cord.

This procedure should also apply to this code 43 in all other versions of Windows.

Tom

Reaction score
Tom,

Many thanks for sharing this information! I also had an Unknown USB Device listed and began to suspect that it was the culprit in another problem I was having, namely, all shutdown attempts automatically triggering a restart. I went through the steps you described and not only did the Unknown USB Device drop off the device list, but I was now able to shut down the PC without an automatic restart. I was thinking that Windows 10 was at fault here, but that turned out not to be the case. Thanks again!

Sam

Reaction score
Tom,
Hi I followed your directions up to step four, but now I can't seem to turn on my desktop computer at all. What did I do wrong?

Smitty

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have solved this problem by doing the following:

1. Unplug the power cord from desktop computer.
2. Hold in the on/off button for approx. 10 seconds until the light goes off. This kills the reserve power.
3. Unplug all of your USB cords from the back of your machine as well as any flash drive or any other USB
device that is plugged into your computer.
4. Insert the power plug back into your computer and power it up. Allow it to completely load everything
that it needs to before you do anything else.
5. Now start plugging your USB devices back into your computer one at a time while waiting for them to
indicate that they are recognized. Do this with each one of your devices until all have been recognized.
6. Now right/click on computer or This PC and choose Manage / Device Manager /USB Serial Controllers and
check to see if any of them have the yellow tag. They should not have if the problem is corrected.

This error code 43 was caused when at some prior time one of he devices either did not install properly or
did not function properly and then at a later time it did. This error was stored in your motherboard memory
and by following the above instructions this killed out the error memory on the motherboard.

Hope this helps others who may have a similar problem.

If you have a laptop instead of a motherboard you need to remove your battery after you unhook the power cord.

This procedure should also apply to this code 43 in all other versions of Windows.

Tom

Thanks Tom, but did exactly what you mentioned for my laptop even did several more steps such as "Uninstall" everything under the "Universal Serial Bus Controller" within the Device Manager (Cold start) and still have the same problem when I connect my cell phone to what ever serial port. The cable is good, the phone is okay - tried it on a Unix platform without any hangups. Going to have to copy and past most of your stuff for my code 43 error.

Reaction score
Hi Tom,
My WD MyBook stopped working in December 2015 after I had installed Windows 10, and I didn't discover this till February 8th! No backups had been made since mid December. I couldn't see my WD MyBook drive in Internet Explorer. I updated the WD Smartware and my USB 3.0 driver and read lots of threads that show that similar problems have occurred back to XP days. I spent several hours on it. The only solution offered was how to update the drivers, but every time I did that I got error 43 and then 10 after sleep and shutdown. Finally I found your solution! Thanks a million!
Marianna

Ask a Question